LS 02 door fender swap

kuei

LVC Member
Reaction score
I am about to swap front and rear doors and a front fender on an 02 LS. Are there any helpful hints for this ordeal? I have never pulled fenders and doors off a car before.

Doors are surprisingly heavy. They move back and forth so easily that you might be surprised at the load as you pull the bolts. I'd use a floor jack on the back corner and have a friend handy to help so you don't drop it and do damage.

KS

Good to know. Unfortunately, I do not have any friends. I killed them all when they drank all of my Michelob Golden. :(

Can Gen 3 doors and fenders fit on A Gen 1 LS?

No such thing as a gen 3 LS (I wish there was).
2000-2002 = Gen 1
2003-2006 = Gen 2
No LS before 2000 or after 2006.

What do you mean by "fit?"
Physically, gen 1 and 2 should* fit, but internally the door electronics are very different.

*: I haven't tried it, and I'm not sure about where the fender meets the headlight.

My bad. I meant Gen 1. Must have been typing with my 3rd finger again.
I have then internals for the Gen 1. Just needing the fender and panels. I will just ebay the gen 2 electronics. Thanks for the info. Great help.

Some years ago I got hit at the 'B' pillar on the passenger side by a teen-age girl. We pulled the 'B' out and I bought a complete set of 2006 doors. (Paid $100---woo-hoo!) The physical fit is just fine; I, generally speaking, married the wiring. Mostly simple plug-in for such as the mirrors and locks. The passenger front window doesn't work and, due to air-conditioning I don't have enough use for it to have gone on a search to find out what's wrong.

KS

^^^

I imagine it took some "heat" and "come alongs" to fix that B pillar. Please tell me that this isn't the same car that you are setting your "land speed records" with!!! :eek:

Well, I have beer in the fridge. And my beer never asks me for money.

Unfortunately... the beer alone is not a good helper in doing body parts swaps. Might be time to ditch the beer,,, and gain some friends. :)

Either that,,, or bee willling to swap some beer for a friends help??? ;)

^^^

I imagine it took some "heat" and "come alongs" to fix that B pillar. Please tell me that this isn't the same car that you are setting your "land speed records" with!!! :eek:
Since my Crew Chief and I did the work in my back yard, we mostly did the work by using a 2X4 across the width of the car and a sledge-hammer. I tried to use a come-along and we chained the car to a tree to try to hold it in place. But we concluded that the wood and sledge was a faster, simpler way to move the 'B' the inch or so at the bottom that was needed. Opening the back door will reveal a bit of 'pucker' in the sill area, but it's not observable with the doors shut. The doors fit, and work, just fine although the really fastidious will be able to see a slight difference in gap widths. I'd already set the records by the time it happened.

I've driven the car more than 20K miles since doing the work. Suspension alignment didn't show anything out of place. Having the roll cage welded into the car undoubtedly helped to keep things from moving.

KS

Members online

No members online now.
Back