Lowered LS Question

R

raylisiak

Hello Everyone, I am a new member, I have had my 02 V8 Sport for a while. I recently put in the Sprint Lowering springs that are sold on Ebay for $160. They went in very well and the ride is amazing with a nice 1.75" drop. It gets rid of the ugly fender/tire gap. After installing all springs, I noticed I have 1 front strut where the center post sticks up really high. I double checked to make sure it is installed properly and it is witht he seat in the proper position. Im assuming that its because the car sits lower, but I havent seen this on the last 4 cars I have lowered. Any of you people that have lowered their LS have this happen? For now I just put in a stack of washers to keep the strut from annoying me to death with noise and seems to work just fine. Thanks.

raylisiak said:
Hello Everyone, I am a new member, I have had my 02 V8 Sport for a while. I recently put in the Sprint Lowering springs that are sold on Ebay for $160. They went in very well and the ride is amazing with a nice 1.75" drop. It gets rid of the ugly fender/tire gap. After installing all springs, I noticed I have 1 front strut where the center post sticks up really high. I double checked to make sure it is installed properly and it is witht he seat in the proper position. Im assuming that its because the car sits lower, but I havent seen this on the last 4 cars I have lowered. Any of you people that have lowered their LS have this happen? For now I just put in a stack of washers to keep the strut from annoying me to death with noise and seems to work just fine. Thanks.

I used the SpringTech springs. The drop is just right and the handling is outstanding. Now.... there is something wrong with the install. The center post (BTW, the LS has shocks, not struts) should be the same height as stock. I would definitely not drive it with washers on the shock!!!

I've looked on ebay for some lowering spring for the LS.. I must be looking in the wrong place :( Are there any sites w/ spring for the LS?

LBK_LS said:
I've looked on ebay for some lowering spring for the LS.. I must be looking in the wrong place :( Are there any sites w/ spring for the LS?
I looked on e-bay today for you - your right - they are not on there currently - but they pop up every day or two.

I use InTrak - and they gave me a 2" drop - http://seffects.com/parts/INT301071.htm $235

How do you make it over speed bumps with any kind of drop because I bottom out on almost all of them, even when I'm taking them slow. I have to go over them at almost a comlete stop.

Couldn't you just take OE springs and get them cut? Find some off a junker (if there is such a thing as a LS junker) and get them cut to length? Or are the shorter ones stiffer to compensate for the heigth change?

LBK_LS said:
Couldn't you just take OE springs and get them cut? Find some off a junker (if there is such a thing as a LS junker) and get them cut to length? Or are the shorter ones stiffer to compensate for the heigth change?

Cutting the stock springs is the LAST thing you'd want to do. It will make your ride like those ricers that bounce all over the place. The lowering springs are progressive, so the more you compress them, the stiffer they get. Our last vacation had the trunk loaded as full (heavy) as usual. I didn't notice any rear end droop like I did with the stock springs. The ride was just as good, and the handling didn't suffer.

LS4me said:
Cutting the stock springs is the LAST thing you'd want to do. It will make your ride like those ricers that bounce all over the place. The lowering springs are progressive, so the more you compress them, the stiffer they get. Our last vacation had the trunk loaded as full (heavy) as usual. I didn't notice any rear end droop like I did with the stock springs. The ride was just as good, and the handling didn't suffer.
:I go with a progressive spring - stiffer, if you cut the stock you loose some stiffness.

Speed bumps are not too bad - just never hit them at speed square on - always one wheel at a time.

some steep driveways will catch me...

I've been worried about when I do lower mine ( it will happen some day) about hitting speed bumps too. I already bottom out when I hit some going slow with my stock setup. I have to come to a complete stop and creep over them. Once I clear the front wheels and stop bouncing, the rear wheels are fine. Is this possibly something wrong with my stock setup or is this just normal?

My old car, a Mercury Mystique had less ground clearance than my LS, but it doesn't bottom out even going 15MPH.

Are there any disadvantages to lowering my LS? Like, do certain susp or steering components wear out quicker?

Is this spring drop the best way to go, and is one company better than another?

Sorry if these are dumb questions, I've always had a truck and never thought about lowering a vehicle till now.

Members online

Back