Lower & Upper Intake gasket

Seed

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Dealership told me I need to replace upper and lower intake Gasket.

1. Do you have to go thru all those steps in tech article section just to remove intake to replace gasket?

2. Also, I didn't see instructions on replacing lower intake gasket so where can i find that?

'01 Lincoln ls V6

1. Do you have to go thru all those steps in tech article section just to remove intake to replace gasket?

2. Also, I didn't see instructions on replacing lower intake gasket so where can i find that?

'01 Lincoln ls V6

#1 = yes

#2 = have to search for a gen 1 v6 repair guide

'01 Lincoln ls V6

What are your fault symptoms? That is kind of a strange thing to come up with if they are not actually tearing down the engine to pinpoint what is wrong with the gaskets. FWIW, I have gone through both layers of the intake and have simply cleaned the old gaskets with carburetor cleaner spray and paper towels two times on two different V6 engines on my two LS and due to the gasket design, this is possible and there is no loss of sealing performance at all. The gaskets are simply silicone outlines of each port passage that are permanently stuck to hard plastic spacers that are close to 1/4" thick. Cleaning off carbon and or sludge deposits is time consuming, but you are left with like-new gaskets since the silicone seals clean up and stay original size.

Cool

More bad news though from dealership. I had a accident three week ago and my transmission did not hesitate when I put it in drive but now Its a hesitation. Insurance will not pay for it b/c Dealership is saying it is normal wear and tear.

I'm thinking I need to flush transmission and change filter b/c I haven't done so since I've purchased the car. Good first step?

01 LS V6 w/ 117K miles

I'm definitely learning as I go. I'm unable to check transmission level fluid on a V6. And the hearing a rough idle on your car is heartbreaking.

I found a shop to replace upper and lower gasket for $225 (just labor). Probably will complete it myself since I've taken the intake off before...

Regarding the transmission, I don't know what to do. Suggestions please?

I'm definitely learning as I go. I'm unable to check transmission level fluid on a V6. And the hearing a rough idle on your car is heartbreaking.

I found a shop to replace upper and lower gasket for $225 (just labor). Probably will complete it myself since I've taken the intake off before...

Regarding the transmission, I don't know what to do. Suggestions please?

The V6 and the V8 are the same. You can check the transmission fluid level.
Here's how.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71025.htm~gen~ref.htm

The fluid is supposed to be exchanged at 150K miles, but many do it sooner. To completely change all the fluid requires either a machine, or a messy manual procedure. Just dropping the pan won't change most of the fluid.

The V6 and the V8 are the same. You can check the transmission fluid level.
Here's how.
http://deneau.info/ls/s6x~us~en~file=s6x71025.htm~gen~ref.htm

The fluid is supposed to be exchanged at 150K miles, but many do it sooner. To completely change all the fluid requires either a machine, or a messy manual procedure. Just dropping the pan won't change most of the fluid.

thanks for the info, but sound like i need a lift to do the job.

Status of Repair: Replaced Upper and Lower Gaskets, Elbow tube and PCV line

Only thing is I still have slight hesitation on take off. Also, I slammed on brakes this morning and transmission hesitated on engaging.

Status of Repair: Replaced Upper and Lower Gaskets, Elbow tube and PCV line

Only thing is I still have slight hesitation on take off. Also, I slammed on brakes this morning and transmission hesitated on engaging.

Did you have the transmission fluid exchanged?
Do you ever experience harsh engagement of reverse? If so, it's probably the solenoid valve assembly.

Did you have the transmission fluid exchanged?
Do you ever experience harsh engagement of reverse? If so, it's probably the solenoid valve assembly.

I have not changed my fluid yet. I have 120K so I guess its due.

Give me an example of harsh engagement of reverse...

Only time the car jerks is when I'm rushing it. FYI: I had a car accident on June 2nd and these problems came to light afterwards. Shop fail to fix b/c they said they were not accident related.

Spoke with my recent mechanic and he said it could be low transmission fluid.

New Development:

I'm sitting idle at 1000rpm and turned the Air Condition on and it immediately drops to almost shutting off. It then bounce back up to less than 1k rpm.

What's the deal?

Another status update: I have a transmission leak so that's the cause of my hesitation on take off after braking. Also, I found out my fluid is disgusting. $90 to flush

Ummm..there is probably a reason your fluid is all messed up. Trans fluid shouldn't really get ugly...

Maybe you have a leak in the trany cooler mounted in the radiator.

Maybe you have a leak in the trany cooler mounted in the radiator.

Do the Gen I's have the cooler in the radiator? My two LS's don't, and my general experience is that many Fords don't.

Do the Gen I's have the cooler in the radiator? My two LS's don't, and my general experience is that many Fords don't.

Are you sure? All 4 of our LSes do/have. All 4 of my Sables also had the trans cooler.

Never mind. I see you're talking about an internal cooler........

trans cooler.gif

Are you sure? All 4 of our LSes do/have. All 4 of my Sables also had the trans cooler.

Never mind. I see you're talking about an internal cooler........

Yes, there's a difference between having a transmission cooler in front of the radiator and having one in the radiator.

Ford did a big study of transmission problems in the mid 90s. One of the results was that one of the bigger causes of failures was transmissions being overheated when the engine would overheat. One of the recommendations was to remove the transmission cooler from the radiator.

Members online

No members online now.
Back