Lower ball joints

Lincoln Mark VIII

1. 298LSC

298LSC LVC Member

98 LSC 70k original ball joints so replacing them now. I have OE Motorcaft ball joints for replacement. Labor quote from my mechanic was $500 to replace for both sides. Said he’ll align it for free. Is this a fair price to do this? I know it’s not the easiest thing in the world. But $500??

2. Rapple1031

Rapple1031 New LVC Member

Not unreasonable sounding to me including front end alignment . I do most work myself, but when I do take it to the shop never get out for less then 500 . The shop I go to is not the cheapest by far but top notch work. And as long as your in there that far may want to take a good look at control arm bushings. 20+ year old rubber.

3. Sonny Day Out

Sonny Day Out Active LVC Member

I think $ 500.00 is excessive ! In my area 4 wheel alignments are $ 80. to 100. ! That leaves at least 400. or 200. @ for the ball joints ! Get other estimates or borrow or rent a press to remove and install the ball joints ! Sonny

4. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Good luck with that. He'll certainly need it with those aluminum parts.

5. chris2523

chris2523 93 Mark VIII

mark viii (the forum we're in) has steel lower arms.
    and the rear aluminum arms don't have any ball joints.

if you don't like that price, do it yourself. not too hard.

6. 298LSC

298LSC LVC Member

He does great work. I won’t tackle this one. Leave it to the professional. Just thought the $500 was a bit steep. Other shops were priced about the same. Without the alignment he’s gonna do for free.

7. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

Sorry, got my cars/forums confused.

8. 91 LSC SE

91 LSC SE Dedicated LVC Member

When you have this all apart, I would change the strut rod brace bushings. If you do, do not use the moog parts, get Ford if you still can.

9. Rapple1031

Rapple1031 New LVC Member

I am going to have to do some frontend work to my 98. Just curious as to what the problem with Moog is? My 98 is going to be a long term keeper. 3 years ago I did the Moog frontend kit on my 97, still good today. I do prefer original parts but didn't want to dump a ton of money in the 97 at the time.

10. xtriggerman

xtriggerman Active LVC Member

Moog is not what they used to be. Much of these parts are all generic China made stuff of "maybe good/maybe not" gamble.
    My advice is go to Rock auto and specifically buy the parts that have grease fittings like I did after I got burned with garbage lower ball joints that were improperly staked from the who knows where factory. ALOT of garbage being sold. I ended up buying upper and lower control arms With Grease fittings and am happy with the firm & smooth joint movements. Front end over coil springs glides over any kind of surface free of any kind of noise and smooth as a kitten. They cost more but worth every dollar IMO.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • 298LSC

298LSC LVC Member

I replaced the strut rod bushings last year with the Moog. So far so good. I’m replacing my ball joints with OEM Motorcraft. Got 2 Motorcraft lower ball joints for $70 on EBay. Seems most Motorcraft chassis parts are getting really hard to find for our Marks

• 91 LSC SE

I've read a lot here and other sites that the Moog blue bushings do not last 10k miles. When I replaced upper and lower control arms, I wanted to replace all 4 bushings on the front and rear of the strut rod. I couldn't find Ford parts and everyone here said to leave what I had if I could only get Moog replacements. I bought AC Delco UCA's and LCA's with grease fittings and they are quality pieces.

• Like Like x 1
      • xtriggerman

xtriggerman Active LVC Member

When I bought my 97 it had 67K miles on it and the OEM upper control arms were absolutely trashed. An old retired guy had owned this car. At that point I decided only greaseable joints are going in. I dont remember the brand I bought on Rock Auto but they were nice and like I said, they ride great. Now, every time I do brakes, I'll grease all of them up.

• 91 LSC SE

agreed, I grease mine every oil change.