Low oil pressure when Idling?

gt95coupe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi, guys I have a 2002 v6 with about 165k. when I stop at a red light the oil light comes on. As soon as I press the gas pedal (even just a few hundred RPM) the light goes off. I Have just changed my oil so it shouldnt be low. just FYI the oil pan is sweating oil and there is some blow back on the tranny but there are no oil spots on the driveway. where do I start... oil pump or PCV valve (which Has been replaced before) ?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Make sure the oil filter is tight. What brand oil filter did you use?
Make sure your oil drain plug is tight.
Check your oil level to make sure it's not low.

Adding to that...
Make sure you are using the right weight oil (0W20, 5W20, or 5W30).
Oil pans don't "sweat" oil. Your pan gasket (or one higher up) is probably seeping oil.

Is your idle RPM correct? It should be about 750 RPM.

The best troubleshooting is to temporarily attach a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if your oil pressure is really dropping too low or if your oil pressure switch is bad.

Adding to that...
Make sure you are using the right weight oil (0W20, 5W20, or 5W30).
Oil pans don't "sweat" oil. Your pan gasket (or one higher up) is probably seeping oil.

Is your idle RPM correct? It should be about 750 RPM.

The best troubleshooting is to temporarily attach a mechanical oil pressure gauge to see if your oil pressure is really dropping too low or if your oil pressure switch is bad.

I used royal purple 5w20 weight. I couldnt see where the oil was coming from it did not appear that the valve covers were leaking at all. where is the oil pressure switch?

Hi, guys I have a 2002 v6 with about 165k. when I stop at a red light the oil light comes on. As soon as I press the gas pedal (even just a few hundred RPM) the light goes off. I Have just changed my oil so it shouldnt be low. just FYI the oil pan is sweating oil and there is some blow back on the tranny but there are no oil spots on the driveway. where do I start... oil pump or PCV valve (which Has been replaced before) ?

Thanks in advance!

How's it going,

I had this same issue last year in my 2003 V6 LS.

Swapped out the oil pressure switch and fixed problem.... 15 bucks or so at O'reilly's....

When i removed the connector to my oil pressure switch, it had oil where the connectors connect, so definite indication of bad / leaky switch.

Hopefully that's your problem as well....

:)

How's it going,

I had this same issue last year in my 2003 V6 LS.

Swapped out the oil pressure switch and fixed problem.... 15 bucks or so at O'reilly's....

When i removed the connector to my oil pressure switch, it had oil where the connectors connect, so definite indication of bad / leaky switch.

Hopefully that's your problem as well....

:)

Thank you! I will look into that.

me too

my 01 V6 did the same thing, the oil pressure sensor near the dip stick crapped out, replaced it (PITA), and problem went away. When I run the car hard fast for long periods the pressure light will come on when the car is slowed down, then it goes away, just a recent thing. Also check oil level, make sure it is up to the max line.

Members online

Back