Low octane = SES?

Conti2K

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey all -

I'm pretty new here, so "Hiya" first off. It's been interesting reading past posts on here.
Now, I have a quick question (or am just wondering about something). I very recently (aka a week ago) picked up a 2000 Continental, which has so far appeared in great shape - no obvious problems, driving/handling issues, etc. It all works like a charm. And of course, :L
Just this evening when I was driving home, I noticed that all of a sudden the "Service Engine Soon" light popped on. Ruling out the obvious, I checked to make sure the gas cap was fastened properly, which it was.
I'm planning on swinging by Autozone tomorrow and having them check, but my question in the meantime is - could it be possible that using lower octane fuel could make the SES light come on? Thing is when I first filled her up, having been used to using 87 oct., out of pure habit I did just that.. however that was a week ago today. I topped off again yesterday afternoon (tank was still 1/4 full), and used 92 oct. this time around. So it wouldn't entirely make sense, considering nothing happened when I filled up w/ 87, but the light did come on when I refilled with 92... it's just something that crossed my mind...

By the way, forgot to mention... I *did* just roll over 70K miles... not sure if the Conti's SES comes on for scheduled maintenance? And if so, if 70K is a normal service point.

It's something in the emissions. If it were an ignition/ combustion problem, the SES light would flash repeatedly. You have a knock sensor in the 2000 4.6, so the computer will adjust for octane if knock is detected...

OK, so I went in to Autozone to have them read the code(s) and it read the 0171/0174 codes which are the bank1 and bank2 "too lean" conditions. Any suggestions what this could be caused by or how to fix it?
Also, is it extremely damaging to drive the car like this until I get this fixed?

Thanks much!

- C2K

Alrightythan

alright, your problem is the fact that you have more than likely stock HEGO or heated exhaust gas oxygen synsors and they are only made to last 60k safely. now they will last longer and you wont have a problem, i have a 88 mark VII bb that has over 250k and the HEGO dont work, so it just runs lean. its not good for the car but you wont have a problem for a long time, just take it in and get them replaced. keep in mind that it is not cheap to take it in. do it your self if you can.

Members online

No members online now.
Back