Low Coolant Sensor

Carol

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
A couple of times now my Low Coolant light comes on and yet when I have it checked (at Firestone) they tell me its full. When I reset the light it goes off and stays off for a week or more. They said it could be the sensor but there is no way to check to see if the sensor is working. Which I am assuming means it would have to be replaced. Firestone hasn't tried to talk me in to replacing it so I don't think they are trying to make money off of me. I guess what I'm wondering is this something I have to have fixed or can I just deal with it?

Hi Carol,

The switch is located in the bottom of the coolant reservoir. There is a plug in the bottom of the reservoir, you might want to unplug it and inspect the plug and contacts for corrosion or wire fatigue. Repair and replace as required. this is what I would do first.

Yes, one could test the coolant level switch - drain the fluid and see if the low level of coolant registers. Since it is a 'switch' it only has on or off. Sensors vary their output - usually a resistence measure.

It takes about 15 minutes to remove the coolant reservoir, and if you tip it right, you only spill a cup full of fluid. I use a piece of cardboard under the car to catch any spillage.

Regards,
Brad.

Thank you I will have someone check it out for me.

Members online

No members online now.
Back