loud power stearing pump

jokken

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
my power stearing pump has always been loud. not terrible but I never liked it. I think it is just the way they all are. is there some way to quiet it down? maybe a non-ford pump?

First, make sure you have the pump full of fluid and that the fluid is not contaminated. Flush and replace the fluid if necessary. Also check and make sure you aren't introducing air into the system. This is usually indicated by foaming. Repair if necessary. Then, when it's all said and done, the pump will still be a bit noisy. That's just the nature of the beast with Ford P/S pumps and has been for many many years. Plastic bodies, light weight, etc aren't conducive to quiet pumps. Any pump you buy that will fit the car will be the same way. The only way you could get a totally quiet pump would be to find something like an old Saginaw cast iron pump with metal and/or remote reservoir and adapt it to fit. Not an easy task to say the least.

ok thanks for the info, I will try, maybe I'll get a new OEM pump (I need a rack anyway) and flush the whole system, my mechanic suggested maybe adding a little lucas, which might quiet it down a little.

Members online

Back