Loud Knock with Cold Morning Start - What to do?

have the same issue will have the dealer take a look at it since I have the extended warranty on my next oil change.

do you know which tensioner and idler pulley i should get ? brand ?

You can probably get whatever brand that you can find (good luck) I replaced both when I did my HB. I believe that Gates was used for both, tensioner for sure. I would probably recommend getting the flanged vs smooth. I could be wrong on this, but I believe that motorcraft updated the part to this at some point because I have found both. I replaced HB and tensioner and had the belt get thrown the next day after a cold start (how I originally found the issue) I looked at it while idling but still cold and there was a significant wobble and belt movement. Replaced idler pulley and it was significantly better and no issues since

do you know which part numbers they are ? i will be replacing the idler pulley and belt tensioner soon and hopefully that will cure the squeaky belt noise on cold starts

do you know which part numbers they are ? i will be replacing the idler pulley and belt tensioner soon and hopefully that will cure the squeaky belt noise on cold starts

According to ford parts giant:

Tensioner: 4Z-6B209-AA
Idler Pulley w/flange: 4Z-8678-DA
Idler pulley w/o flange: 4Z-8678-CA

Disclaimer: This is for a 2004 v8. I can not speak for if this is the same across all years. This is for the motorcraft parts, however these all can be found on rockauto both OEM and aftermarket. I think that you would be relatively safe going with after market as it is mechanical. You can also go to your local auto parts store (oreilly, napa, advanced, autozone, ect.) They probably will not have it available that day, but should be able to get it for you within a day or two...at least that is what it was like here. GLWR

You can tell if it's the HB by popping the hood, then starting the engine then watching the HB with a flashlight. It'll either spin smooth or will have a wobble....

Well, my knock is mos def under the hood, not in the rear. I just need to get a flashlight on the damper pulley to see if I can spot that wobble. Thought others might have been able to id by the pattern of the knock, rapid to slow to quiet within about 1 minute at idle after start. Sounds like some have lived with this kind of damper knock for quite a period?

My belt still squeals though too. Even after idler pulley & belt replaced last summer & tensioner pulley last week.

Guess I may be saving up for a $1000-1200 dealer job. At my age, I'm beyond trying this on the street in the winter time.

... & tensioner pulley last week...

Just the pulley and not the whole assembly (arm with spring and arm bearing)? For me, I think the squeak is coming from the bearing for the tensioner arm, not the tensioner pulley. I think that the wobble from the damper is wearing out the tensioner assemblies. I have a wobble from a bad damper, but I don't have any knocking. Also, it takes more than a minute for my damper to warm up enough to stop wobbling and stop the squeaks.

Just the pulley and not the whole assembly (arm with spring and arm bearing)? For me, I think the squeak is coming from the bearing for the tensioner arm, not the tensioner pulley. I think that the wobble from the damper is wearing out the tensioner assemblies. I have a wobble from a bad damper, but I don't have any knocking. Also, it takes more than a minute for my damper to warm up enough to stop wobbling and stop the squeaks.

Update: after reading many posts - including the 9 pager, I still don't know what I'm dealing with.

This morning, with a flashlight, I determined the knocking sound (not a slap) matches perfectly to the movement of my (supposedly) new belt tensioner. It moves at least an inch back & forth at cold start (about 30F). Within 30-60 seconds, the extreme movement of the belt tensioner settles down to just a little wiggle back & forth and the knocking stops. I can not detect any movement or wobble in the harmonic crank damper pulley.

So, either the new tensioner is defective, or the local Goodyear shop merely cleaned it off the old one.

Is the movement of the tensioner as much as an inch or more back & forth ever normal?

Thoughts?

Update: after reading many posts - including the 9 pager, I still don't know what I'm dealing with.

This morning, with a flashlight, I determined the knocking sound (not a slap) matches perfectly to the movement of my (supposedly) new belt tensioner. It moves at least an inch back & forth at cold start (about 30F). Within 30-60 seconds, the extreme movement of the belt tensioner settles down to just a little wiggle back & forth and the knocking stops. I can not detect any movement or wobble in the harmonic crank damper pulley.

So, either the new tensioner is defective, or the local Goodyear shop merely cleaned it off the old one.

Is the movement of the tensioner as much as an inch or more back & forth ever normal?

Thoughts?
I can relate! Replaced tensioner pulley on my 5.4 Triton, 3 days later same problem! Replaced with new arm/pulley assembly, fixed problem!
An inch is way to much movement, change the arm/pulley assembly. JMHO

Was the belt changed at the same time? If not, this can be the problem. A worn belt is stretched out, which means the tensioner doesn't have as much to work with.

I am a bit confused though, you folks are changing the tensioner pulley but not the tensioner arm assembly? It's the arm that wears out, not the pulley. The pulley eventually will wear out but the arm wears far faster than the pulley bearing.

Thoughts?

So did you figure out what the issue was? I am having the same problem.

Well this is a relative thread for me. A couple weeks ago I had to work out of town. It was very cold, single digits and my car (06 Lincoln LS) was parked out in it for a good eight hours. When I started it, it made some knocking like noise for a second or two and but then quit. I let the car warm up for several minutes and noted no issues beyond that and I've not heard it since. My car, however, has not seen that kind of cold weather since and it is garaged kept. My car has 53K babied miles on it and is meticulously taken car of and serviced.

What weight oil are you guys using? I would think that with the cold you're having a 0W-20 would be appropriate.

Members online

No members online now.
Back