Lost keys, car locked.

warrioralumni08

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys, I need help. Long story short, lost keys at work to the car, only had one key, car is currently locked too. What is my best option? Locksmith or Ford dealership?

Appreciate it. I believe the car has a feature where it also disengages the trunk pop button and fuel pump when unlocked correct? I assume the alarm will go off, thus probably best to get the locksmith to open the trunk first, so i can disconnect the battery? Then lay the seats down and unlock the doors.

Appreciate it. I believe the car has a feature where it also disengages the trunk pop button and fuel pump when unlocked correct? ...

If you are talking about an LS, no. (Fuel pump not related at all, trunk button not disabled.)

... I assume the alarm will go off, thus probably best to get the locksmith to open the trunk first, so i can disconnect the battery? Then lay the seats down and unlock the doors.

Depends on how he unlocks the doors. If he picks the lock, then no alarm. The problem will be the same for the trunk. If he can pick the trunk lock, he could probably pick the door lock.

Oh sorry, 2000 LS. Ah, okay thanks! Just been worrying about it, stressful week. Job interview Friday, etc. Then that happens, so yeah. Hopefully programming a new key should be a breeze for him.

... Hopefully programming a new key should be a breeze for him.

He'll have to add two new keys. The PATS won't let you have just one programmed key, and the procedure to add a new key without having any of the existing keys requires you to erase the existing keys.

long story very short, make sure once your done getting this problem fixed, that afterwards, you have three different keys total (not counting cloned keys) to your car.

then if/when you lose another key, not only will you have a spare key so you never have to go through this again, but then you will be able to program your own keys so you don't have to pay a dealer or lock smith a lot to take case of this for you...

Couldn't the dealer or (licensed) locksmith provide a key using the car's VIN?

No, the keys have a chip in them that the car needs to learn. His best bet is of course, calling a mobile locksmith who can cut a key and then program it. If the dealer can cut him a key using the VIN, it will still need to be programmed. All scenarios involve the car being where the key can be programmed so the mobile locksmith is the best choice. Or he can have the car towed to the dealer. This will end up being an expensive lesson he will learn and we ALL should note. Three Keys = Best Case For Never Needing A Locksmith.

plus Ford (mine anyways) will not cut keys off vin's for cars older than 6 years...

plus Ford (mine anyways) will not cut keys off vin's for cars older than 6 years...

will not or cant? maybe they were not keeping the key code (for the cut, not the PATS) in there system before that?

thats how he explained it... NO code for the cut... seemed a bit far fetched. sounded more of a policy thing though

Around here dealers won't cut keys based on VIN alone. There was a problem with neanderthals copying the VIN while the car was parked somewhere like a mall, going to the dealer, having them cut a key, then going back and either stealing the car or taking whatever they wanted out of it. It is a safety feature.

Title (proof of ownership) still needed here...

My days at the dealership, most upset customers ever... lost/locked keys, make it to dealer, just to turn back around to try and find a title, then come back and pay $100 plus to get a key made... not fun days

I worked for Hertz in 1982 - we had key codes to cut keys then.

so the question is, where you accessing the dealer's database, or were you recording the info once you received each car so you had it in your own database?

so the question is, where you accessing the dealer's database, or were you recording the info once you received each car so you had it in your own database?

We had a book of VIN's supplied by the manufacturer that listed the key code for every car in our fleet.

Another possibility is that it was a fleet-only option of sorts

Members online

No members online now.
Back