Lost key Fob

91300zx

LVC Member
Reaction score
So I lost my key fob and was wondering if I get a new one and have it programmed does that make the old/lost one unusable? I'm to lazy to keep using the keys to lock and unlock lol. Or any other suggestions?

On gen 1s, the dealer uses a computer to program the fobs. Each of the four memory slots is programmed individually, so your old one will still work as long as they don't pick that particular slot. Hiwever, unless its empty, theres no real way of telling which fob is which; they just list the FCC ID I believe. I watched the tech program mine. I don't know if you have a gen 1 or 2, though

so your old one will still work as long as they don't pick that particular slot.

usually if you are replacing a key or fob that was lost, the dealer will ask you to bring all the keys or fobs, then they erase them all and reprogram the ones you have.

usually if you are replacing a key or fob that was lost, the dealer will ask you to bring all the keys or fobs, then they erase them all and reprogram the ones you have.

That's certainly what they are supposed to do.

I need to pick up a new fob. I have a 04 v6. Will go by the dealer tomorrow to see if it's outrageous. If it is will get one from fleabay and try to program it myself. Thanks

I need to pick up a new fob. I have a 04 v6. Will go by the dealer tomorrow to see if it's outrageous. If it is will get one from fleabay and try to program it myself. Thanks

You have a gen II. There's no need to go to a dealer. If you can turn the key on and off a few times, you can program it yourself. Instructions are in your owner's manual.

How to reprogram your remote entry transmitters
You must have all remote entry transmitters (maximum of four)
available before beginning this procedure.
To reprogram the remote entry
transmitters:
1. Ensure the vehicle is electronically unlocked.
2. Put the key in the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the 1 (LOCK) position to 4 (RUN).
4. Cycle eight times rapidly (within 10 seconds) between the 1 (LOCK)
position and 4 (RUN). Note: The eighth turn must end in the 4 (RUN)
position.
5. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming
mode has been activated.
6. Within 20 seconds press any button on the remote entry transmitter.
Note: If more than 20 seconds have passed you will need to start the
procedure over again.
7. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that this remote entry
transmitter has been programmed.
8. Repeat Step 6 to program each additional remote entry transmitter.
9. Turn the ignition to the 1(LOCK) position after you have finished
programming all of the remote entry transmitters.
10. The doors will lock, then unlock, to confirm that the programming
mode has been exited.

wait a minute, are people still confused about 1st gens needing dealer/scan tool to program vs 2nd gen which can be programmed by owner?

People will always be a little confused about the differences between GenI & II, new owners will come to learn as those who do know move on to other vehicles. It's a constant rotation of knowledge levels among members on forums.

Members online

Back