Looong time to start

cableguynoe

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
01LSV8

HAs been getting worse lately. Rarely starts on the first attempt. Have to hold ignition for a long time or try 2-3 times for it to start up.
Once it starts, it's good.

I know I have a valve cover leak going into at least one of the coils. Plan on fixing that in the next couple of weeks hopefully.
But I was told that wouldn't necessarily be the problem.

Doing some searching I read (in another website), that the Idle Air Control Valve could possibly be causing this problem.

Is this something the air control valve would cause?

I realize this is something that could possibly be caused by a lot of things. But hoping to get some ideas from you guys. My funds are limited, and I really want to make sure I fix that problem first, before i get to all the others...:(

Where are you buying your gas? A steady diet of Costco gas caused progressively longer starts.

It could be the idle air bypass valve.
It could be a leaky fuel injector.
It could be a lot of things.

However, on the LS, it is usually one or more marginal COPS. You should replace the leaky valve cover gaskets, replace all the spark plugs, and replace all the COPs.

It could be the idle air bypass valve.
It could be a leaky fuel injector.
It could be a lot of things.

However, on the LS, it is usually one or more marginal COPS. You should replace the leaky valve cover gaskets, replace all the spark plugs, and replace all the COPs.

Thanks. I will be doing that. Just wanted to be sure it was one problem, and not two different problems. Guess there's no way to really know until after the repairs.

Oh, one thing I forgot to mention, I usually smell gas after trying to get it started.
Does that help pinpoint the problem?

I would stick to Top Tier stations. Shell, 76, Chevron....

Just curious why you say this. I have been using Costco gas 97% of the time the last year and half and never had a problem. The Costco's by us recently installed new additives but I still haven't had a problem.

Where are you buying your gas? A steady diet of Costco gas caused progressively longer starts.

Just curious why you say this. I have been using Costco gas 97% of the time the last year and half and never had a problem. The Costco's by us recently installed new additives but I still haven't had a problem.

See above. Idle was also a little rough; not the normal I-can't-tell-if-the-engine-is-running smooth. I would also get quite a bit of pinging at WOT. Everything I've read (including Costco's information) says Costco doesn't add additives and buys the cheapest gas they can.

See above. Idle was also a little rough; not the normal I-can't-tell-if-the-engine-is-running smooth. I would also get quite a bit of pinging at WOT. Everything I've read (including Costco's information) says Costco doesn't add additives and buys the cheapest gas they can.

Thanks, interesting. The Costco by us added their "Kirkland Signature Clean Power." I didn't see California on the list of states that has it at Costco, which could be a factor. I'll probably switch it up more often just to flow different mixtures through.

http://shop.costco.com/en/In-The-Warehouse/Gasoline/Clean-Power.aspx

In 10 years of owning our LS, we've probably filled up at Costco about 90% of the time. One time we had water in the gas. In that same time I also got water in the gas at a Shell station. Other than those two examples we've never had problems with fuel.

All gas stations are hit and miss.
All gas is actually the same from the refineries. Look up how the pipeline system works in the US. I think it's fascinating.
The only difference is brand-specific additives and maintenance at the station. Super-cheap stations may not maintain their tanks and equipment properly, or the trucks, which can get water, dirt, etc in the gas.
Rough running just due to additive mixture is very strange. Maybe that station was "rounding up" on the octane rating?

Mine hates 10% ethanol. I have a similar issue with a short hot soak. I have a different set of injectors ready to go in, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

Members online

No members online now.
Back