Looks like transmission leak?

Luk3

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I noticed a puddle of red fluid after moved my car out of garage today. Looks like transmission fluid. It's leaking a lot :(
There is no puddle in the drivway where it was parked over night so this just started.

2013-03-20_12-22-27_888_zps71e4b5d0.gif

2013-03-20_12-22-42_268_zps48c09393.jpg

2013-03-20_12-23-16_133_zps579e70cf.jpg

Have it looked at asap, that seems like a fairly moderate leak.

Damn Luk3!
feeling your pain. what is that black plug? is this where it looks like it's starting from? No?

Damn Luk3!
feeling your pain. what is that black plug? is this where it looks like it's starting from? No?

I think that's just a pop cover for an inspection opening. It should be keeping dirt out, not fluid in.

Damn Luk3!

At first I though so. It is just a cover.

I noticed the puddle right after i finished replacing and bleeding a bad rear brake caliper. I then took the car for a quick drive to make sure the caliper was working properly. When I got back I snapped those pics and now the leak seems to have stopped. There is a piece of cardboard under the car now so I can see what happens over night.

It might just need to be re-calibrated.

j/k

The black plug is the inspection hole for the torque converter. There should not be any fluid in there. Most likely is a failed TC seal on the tranny pump.

The black plug is the inspection hole for the torque converter. There should not be any fluid in there. Most likely is a failed TC seal on the tranny pump.

There was no fluid in that plug, it just drip down around the outside of it.

No drips overnight either. So that means its only leaking when it's driven and right after i park it. I just wiped everyhting down to see if i can spot where it's coming from.

Since that original puddle there's been no spots on the ground at home or at work. I do still see wetness and a half drip hanging after a drive. It's probably only leaking when I drive then? I also can't tell if it's Transmission, Power Steering, or Hydraulic Fan fluid. I'm going to have it looked at next week.

JUST paid $2800 for a transmission yesterday. Fingers crossed for you..

It was still shifting smooth when brought it in with the leak. Hopefully there is no serious damage.

:eek: why? Could have bought a whole other LS with that money.

yea but I've replaced every buggy part on the LS and despite the tranny issue, the car is pretty mint and has been paid off form many years. $2800 is a drop in the bucket compared to another car payment.

Rebuilding

2002 with 80k miles. He said the transmission looked like it had 150k miles on it. Complete rebuild is going to cost me $2095.

2002 with 80k miles. He said the transmission looked like it had 150k miles on it. Complete rebuild is going to cost me $2095.

So much $$$ have u checked to see if you can find a used one with low milage?

I have 150K miles on one of mine. No problems so far...

I'm already in about $800 from pulling it for a blown seal. For another $1200 he can make it "better than factory new". It's hard to pull the trigger but do I really want to put another used 5r55n tranny in this car?

I think it all comes down to how much you can trust this guy to do a good job.

Ask him to itemize what he's replacing and tell him you want all your old parts back (cores excluded of course). When I told my tranny guy that, he had no problem and laid out all the parts that came out on a bench to show my one by one. I went to an AAmco by me that did a tranny for another one of my cars about 15 years ago and the tranny outlasted the car lol. The 1 year warranty was nice too.

$2k, is a lot to drop (sh*t I dropped more than that this week) but the way the car shifts is amazing. best of luck.

Members online

Back