Looking to purchase a 2003 LS PREMIUM SPORT V8 (23000 miles for $22000)

BlackLS00

LVC Member
Reaction score
Can anyone who owns a 2003 LS please let me know what problems you have had with this year and model so I know what I’m looking to dive into. Right now I own a Base 2000 V8 and have had the normal problems (Over heating (Thermostat replaced), Noise in front end (Front sway bar and bushings replaced) and Coil problems (4 replaced so far)). Even with the problems the car is still fun to drive! :L

BlackLS00 said:
Can anyone who owns a 2003 LS please let me know what problems you have had with this year and model so I know what I’m looking to dive into. Right now I own a Base 2000 V8 and have had the normal problems (Over heating (Thermostat replaced), Noise in front end (Front sway bar and bushings replaced) and Coil problems (4 replaced so far)). Even with the problems the car is still fun to drive! :L
Only problem I ever had was the transmission valve body and PCM reflash, all done under warranty very early on. Oh and my headliner has a droop problem.

You are getting an awesome deal. I bought my 2003 in July 0f 2003 and financed 100% of the car on a 60 month 0% Fomoco loan. So now I have 19k miles and 38 Months to go so I still OWE 28K roughly. Tells me how much depreciation there is.

You will love the '03. I had an '00 V8 for three years on a lease before I bought this one. Lots more power and over 500 improvements.

BlackLS00 said:

I created a thread a while ago that i wanted a 03 or 04 ls for about $22000 and i was hoping to beg the dealer to take atleast 2k off because all i have is 20,000 to spend... looks like I might be able to get a deal like that....is the 22k the sticker price or did he take some $$$ off?

Price asking was $25000 but the dealer is a good friend of mine so that has some benifits. Im hopeing that more 2003 owners reply back with good replies so i can weigh the plus's and minuses as to swap out or to stick with the 2000 that i know what has been done and what to look for.

stateproperty3423 said:
I created a thread a while ago that i wanted a 03 or 04 ls for about $22000 and i was hoping to beg the dealer to take atleast 2k off because all i have is 20,000 to spend... looks like I might be able to get a deal like that....is the 22k the sticker price or did he take some $$$ off?

Only problem I've had with mine was the headliner was coming down in the back. I only have 6000 miles so far though.

I have a 2003 ls v8 Premium Sport. I live in Socal and bought the Car about 6 weeks ago over the internet from a dealer in Las Vegas. The car had 15,250 mile on her and she is fully loaded with all option including the THX sound system and wood everywhere. Well I drive it home the next day I put about 225 mile on the car and it died on me coming home from diner that evening about a half a mile from my house with my whole family in the car, 5 of us. My kids and wife Laugh at the top of their lungs because I bought the car sight un seen and over the internet They thought I bought a lemon. Well once the car was at the dealer they diag it right away it was the Cat Convert took a crap. After they put the new Cats in the car, it drives like a dream. I love my New LS. and I have not had anyother problems.

FYI....
I have called about 8 different dealers on purchasing a FORD warranty for after the standard warranty expires. I'm getting quotes for 5y/100k warranty and I got prices ranging from $2,100 all they way down to $1,451. This the guy who quoted the 1,451 told me the warranty cost him $1,151 and he need to make a few hundred on the deal. Just FYI if you decide to buy a Ford extended warranty they can go for what every the dealer decides.

Good luck on the car, I love mine.

Thanks to all of you that responded. So far it looks like there are more pluses then minuses and a whole lot of feature upgrades in the 2003. I am going to check the car out tonight and have my mechanic check it out also to see what goodies are installed. I believe since it is a V-8 Premium Sport it has the high-intensity discharge headlamps and I’m hoping it has the THX-certified audio system or this also standard?

the only problem i have had with my 03 v8 sport is the electronic park brake, the service like keeps coming on...taken it to the dealer twice...so far so good. also, talk the dealer down some more, i brought a 03 v8 sport premium with 10046 miles on it for 23.3K. start with the trade in value...i think you can get it for less then what the dealer is asking. :L

Keep looking, you'll find what you're looking for

I bought a 03 premium sport (now called ultimate in the 04-05's) back in October. It's got everything they offered option wise that year nav/thx, heated /cooled/etc. I bought mine new even though it was an 03 -- it had sat on a lot for over a year in a small town dealership. I nabbed mine for 28,500, but again it was new. You might have to be a little more flexible on the mileage you'll accept, but typically the right car is out there for anyone who wants to find it.

One comforting stereotype with these cars is that the initial owners are usually a little older, so in many cases the care given to the cars is above average. Good luck!

lewispreston-

I did the exact same thing. Same car, got it for the same price in December, no miles, sat on a dealer's lot.

Just got my 03 V8 Sport last month - 15,300. Paid 24,800. Also bought from pics on the internet from a dealer in Ohio and had it shipped to SoCal.
Mines loaded - THX, Reverse Sensors, AdvTrac, Rear Htd Seats. Everything but wood and HID.

The only problems have been:

1. A droopy headliner - Some automotive double stick tape fixed that.

2. A problem with the CD changer. I've been getting a CD Error message. Dealer was unable to diagnose after 3 days. I picked it up yesterday morning and had two more incidents. Back to the dealer... They have ordered the replacement unit which will be here Monday.

Other than that - beautiful car. I also have a new Thunderbird which prompted the LS purchase. Great chassis dynamics.

Well I did it! I traded up from my 2000 LS Base V8 to the 2003 Premium sport V8 all for $21000 with 18000 (When I spoke to my friend he said he thought it had 22000 miles) Wow what a difference! Here is a brief assessment since I only had it for 2 days. A few more ponies then before and the ride is fantastic (Not that the 2000 ride was terrible). The HID’s give a better view of the road then standard halogen lights. The car doesn’t have the THX stereo system but it is not bad either. All in all I have to say is that Lincoln has made a lot of little improvements that might seem insignificant to most but make a big difference to the people who spend a lot of time in their car traveling to work each day (110 miles per day to work and back) The cup holders can actually carry a bigger bottle and coffee cup with having to cram it in. The sunglass holder addition was great; the stupid clip on the visor was effective but was an eye sore for a $30000 car. The center console can actually carry something other then just 2 CD’s and a pack of gum. The 6 CD changer in the dash is a major improvement, It is quite easy while driving to change a CD if you wanted too (I realize that this fits up there with talking on the cell phone while driving). But for those of you who have the changer in the glove box and have tried to change a CD while driving this can be quite an event (This kind of fits with juggling chain saws while blind folded) The heated seats, Wow they actually stay on longer this is quite nice. I haven’t tried the cooled seats yet, but with black leather and the summer coming up I’m sure I will put it to good use. Speaking of the seats, this is a major improvement, they are actually quite comfortable (Not that they weren’t before) they have increased the side support so while going through turns at high speeds they keep you from sliding back and forth. The one touch moon roof is great. The 2000 has this feature but only to open, the 2003 has this feature to open and close the moon roof and have also added this feature to the passenger front window. I loved my Lincoln before and man all I have to say is :L :L :L Great car!!! :dancefool

mwhited said:
Just got my 03 V8 Sport last month - 15,300. Paid 24,800. Also bought from pics on the internet from a dealer in Ohio and had it shipped to SoCal.
Mines loaded - THX, Reverse Sensors, AdvTrac, Rear Htd Seats. Everything but wood and HID.

The only problems have been:

1. A droopy headliner - Some automotive double stick tape fixed that.

2. A problem with the CD changer. I've been getting a CD Error message. Dealer was unable to diagnose after 3 days. I picked it up yesterday morning and had two more incidents. Back to the dealer... They have ordered the replacement unit which will be here Monday.

Other than that - beautiful car. I also have a new Thunderbird which prompted the LS purchase. Great chassis dynamics.

BlackLS00 said:
Well I did it! I traded up from my 2000 LS Base V8 to the 2003 Premium sport V8 all for $21000 with 18000 (When I spoke to my friend he said he thought it had 22000 miles) Wow what a difference! Here is a brief assessment since I only had it for 2 days. A few more ponies then before and the ride is fantastic (Not that the 2000 ride was terrible). The HID’s give a better view of the road then standard halogen lights. The car doesn’t have the THX stereo system but it is not bad either. All in all I have to say is that Lincoln has made a lot of little improvements that might seem insignificant to most but make a big difference to the people who spend a lot of time in their car traveling to work each day (110 miles per day to work and back) The cup holders can actually carry a bigger bottle and coffee cup with having to cram it in. The sunglass holder addition was great; the stupid clip on the visor was effective but was an eye sore for a $30000 car. The center console can actually carry something other then just 2 CD’s and a pack of gum. The 6 CD changer in the dash is a major improvement, It is quite easy while driving to change a CD if you wanted too (I realize that this fits up there with talking on the cell phone while driving). But for those of you who have the changer in the glove box and have tried to change a CD while driving this can be quite an event (This kind of fits with juggling chain saws while blind folded) The heated seats, Wow they actually stay on longer this is quite nice. I haven’t tried the cooled seats yet, but with black leather and the summer coming up I’m sure I will put it to good use. Speaking of the seats, this is a major improvement, they are actually quite comfortable (Not that they weren’t before) they have increased the side support so while going through turns at high speeds they keep you from sliding back and forth. The one touch moon roof is great. The 2000 has this feature but only to open, the 2003 has this feature to open and close the moon roof and have also added this feature to the passenger front window. I loved my Lincoln before and man all I have to say is :L :L :L Great car!!! :dancefool

I am jealous. unfortunately i still owe about $10k on my car, and as of right now, thats about what my car is worth, so i cant upgrade to an 03/04, or i would. :L

New one

I bought my '04 LS V8 with <30K on it for $18,600, from a dealer, over the internet.

sqeuaky belts, replaced twice, pulleys replaced once for squeak on cold engine. pass heated seat shuts off randomly.....other than that ive had no problems whatsoever with it....knock on wood

Damn. I'm still wanting to sell my 06. Anyone interested? Silver w/ 25K.

my 03' fulled loaded except navi, rear sensors and mirror w/ direction on it i paid, $19,999. initial asking price was $25,000. it had only 16k miles too :)

Only problem I've had with mine was the headliner was coming down in the back. I only have 6000 miles so far though.

TSB on the headliner coming down around the high mount third brake light. Easy fix, do a search you find different ways to glue the velcro back up.

TSB on the headliner coming down around the high mount third brake light. Easy fix, do a search you find different ways to glue the velcro back up.

We had the same problem with our LS. The dealership just replaced the headliner.

I have an 03 Sport with THX. I bought it in Dec 05 with 59,000 miles. I screwed the THX up but warranty covered that. Got a new head and trunk unit. Also had the to replace the rack and pinion, coils, valve cover gaskets, trans solenoid, and parking brake solenoid. All of it was covered under my extended warranty. Buy a warranty for your car. Also my headliner was drooping. Dealer put some glue on it but it didn't hold. I reglued it last Spring with Automotive GOOP and it is still holding. Only thing I've had to purchase was the coil boots. I don't know why but the boots were not covered. Anyways the warranty has more than paid for itself. It was like $1900 and by looking at the shop bills I have saved about $500 or more over if I would have paid for these repair and parts out of pocket.

If you havent already purchased, be patient. I found, after much looking, an '04, LS V8, with 29K on it, in near perfect shape, for $18,600.00. Only 4 carfax records, and those were for routine maintaince. I am taking it in for the 30K mile service next week, so I will post the results of that, if they find anything. It drives, and runs like they wont.
And by the way, this is the first time I am actually in love with a car, if fulfills almost all of my needs...not all of them tho...

this thread is 2 years old. how did it get pulled back up?

I bought an 04 LS Ultimate with 21,900 miles on it about 2 months ago.
I put an SCT Livewire power tune in it and cut down the airbox to install a K&N type cone filter I bought from pep boys for 40.00.
I hated the rain sensitive wipers which I understand were discontinued due to customer complaints in 05.
Turns out if you just pull the connector off the rain sensor in the windshield the wipers revert to normal operation which is much better.
Otherwise the only problems I've had is with front brake pedal chatter due to loose pads at their half worn mark.This was non abs related.
Cross drilled and slotted rotors took care of that and I'm very pleased with the car.
Hot Rod Lincoln.

Members online

No members online now.
Back