Looking To Bypass JBL Amp but keep Speakers

93mark8rules

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have a 94 Mark with the JBL sound system and it sounded great until recently. Now I'm getting static with crackling and popping out of the front tweeters, there is also like a thumping coming from all the speakers that goes along with the music. But nothing sounds like a blown speaker it s kind of hard to explain. So I'm guessing after 174k and 22 years the amp is finally on its way out. I used to install car audio and think I have a good idea. I have a new 4 channel amp around that I never used, but I know original JBL amp had a built in crossover and the tweeters need cross overs to keep them from blowing out, does anyone know what frequency range the tweeters were set for?

I want to install everything with out chopping up the car so I can put it back to stock if I ever want to restore it or something. So I was thinking I could reuse the factory wiring. I could use the Amp integration harness that has RCA plugs on one side and plugs into the factory amp harness behind the radio. Then use an Amp bypass harness in the trunk. I could cut the bypass harness and have speaker connections I can use, and then put RCA connectors on the end coming from the radio. Now the old Amp feed will work like 4 RCA cables, and I can use that to feed the amp. I have some new Infinity cross overs that never got installed on a previous project I could wire them inside the trunk for the tweeters, and then all I would have to run is a power feed from the battery and run a chassis ground. Has anyone tried doing anything like this? It seems like all of this should work well and I have most of the stuff, I just dont know if my crossovers will give the tweeters the same range the JBL amp did.

Members online

Back