looking to buy

Ricksquickviii

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I sold my 93 mark viii year or two back, and bought myself a corvette, I have a vette, Chevy trailblazer, and dodge intrepid, looking to replace the dodge intrepid, I need a 4 door sedan for me and my family, I like how the ls looks, I have a few questions

1. V6 or V8 what is better fewer problems, what runs better?

2. Any thing one should look out for when buys an ls?

3. How does the car handle in the snow?

1. I would say the V8 is better just because its a heavy car and the extra power is nice. Look for an '03 and up as they have fewer problems. Common problems are Coils going bad most likely due to leaking VCG's, but like I said its not so prevelent in the 2nd Gen v8's and if it happens in a 2nd gen v8 there is a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty covering it so you shouldn't have to pay for the repair.

2. Glued on vent holes are something you should avoid :D If you see them on the car, slowly walk away. During your test drive just get on an open road or highway and punch it, if you feel hesitation during acceleration there could be a coil going bad, or the VCG's leaking oil into the plug well and fouling the connection of the COP to the plug.

3. Feelings are mixed on this issue. I have been stuck in about an inch of snow in a level parking lot. I had the stock Michillen MX4's and they were crap in snow. A lot of people say with good snow tires and maybe a little weight in the trunk that you will be fine. Deffinetly turn the traction control off or you'll be a sitting duck. If you ever drove your Mark in the snow it would probably be similar to that.

Hope this helps and I'm sure others will chime in.

Silver LS, covered most of the issues that you should look for.

I haven't had any issues with getting stuck in the snow. The LS is actually one of the best vehicles i have driven in snow. Its also very predictable car to drive in snow(well in general), you can both avoid situations and get yourself out of some situations.

Good luck with your search. Keep us posted.

...Common problems are Coils going bad most likely due to leaking VCG's, but like I said its not so prevelent in the 2nd Gen v8's and if it happens in a 2nd gen v8 there is a 10yr 100,000 mile warranty covering it so you shouldn't have to pay for the repair.

Coils fail mostly due to internal high voltage breakdown because of failure of the epoxy. Oil soaking is not much of an issue for the 2004-2006. Coil failure is still a prevalent issue on the gen II LS. The 10 year/100K mile coil warranty does not apply to the 2006 LS.

Other things to check for.
DCCV (check that the climate control can heat and cool correctly on both sides)
heated/cooled seats (make sure the highest cooling and highest heating setting work for several minutes on both front seats)
Transmission (check for harsh engagement of reverse)
Steering rack (check for sounds and rough feel when turning the wheel)
Parking brake (set and release it a few times and check for "service parking brake" message)

Well that "Service Parking Brake" is a rascal, most likely you'll get the car home before that gremlin shows himself. Its harmless though.

If your grabbing a Gen 2, the e-brakes on those are push button. I'd rather pull a handle then trust a damned button :( But you only need to worry about that if you get a manual V6. Which are only Gen1's

Coils
Seats
Check out the paint!!

I am outside of Minneapolis and had no snow issues. Try to find an LS with traction control and it is a very good car in the snow. You live in 'sconny so you know that it goes without saying that you need good tires for the winter and you will be fine.

wifes truck, lol

thanks for all your info to look for,

What i was going to say has been said

I should also mention that the A pillars will possibly leak water into the cabin since some people seem to be getting cracks in the channels from the sunroof through the a-pillar (typically this problem is on the passenger side) sealant can correct this problem :p

I was stuffing women's tampons (from the women's restroom) in there until I could get it fixed since it was fall and raining terribly

I hate the traction control while city driving. It caused me a nice "into the yard" slip and my other encounter with the yard marker because I couldn't whip the car sideways. On the highway its good though.

remember how well your mark handled in the snow, that about how good the LS does, i would park the LS and drive the Vette over the winter.

definitely get a 2nd gen, and dont even consider a V6 unless you like kicking yourself in the @ss every time you drive it, you dont get any better millage just less power, trust me, I've owned both

remember how well your mark handled in the snow, that about how good the LS does, i would park the LS and drive the Vette over the winter.

Lol, sorry the vette goes to sleep in the winter, the vette is an all some car!

If your grabbing a Gen 2, the e-brakes on those are push button. I'd rather pull a handle then trust a damned button :( But you only need to worry about that if you get a manual V6. Which are only Gen1's

Coils
Seats
Check out the paint!!

id also much rather have a traditional ebrake lever over the button. but i have to disagree with saying you only need to worry about that if the car is a manual. i use the ebrake all the time before letting off the brake pedal. i dont like that roll the car makes without using it.

id also much rather have a traditional ebrake lever over the button. but i have to disagree with saying you only need to worry about that if the car is a manual. i use the ebrake all the time before letting off the brake pedal. i dont like that roll the car makes without using it.

Yes, you should always use it. It prevents damage to the transmission, and it adds redundant safety. The gen II one is very easy to use, just pull the button to set it. It auto-releases when you put it in gear.

1. Like others said skip the V6 it's down on power and there is little difference in mileage.

2. joegr covered the most common problems. COPs and the DCCV being the biggest culprits.

3. I found the LS to handle better then my Mark does in the snow. Not great but for a RWD car it does alright.

Members online

No members online now.
Back