looking to buy an 03 LS, need help / advice

Daviddc114

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
my wife and i are going to look at an 03 LS for her. i just want to know what to look or look out for. the guy selling it told me it has a check engine light on. i am going to bring a scan tool with me, but are there any major issues with these cars? it is a V8 touring with nav. has 93k on it, and he is asking 4400 or best. it seems like a nice car, but i have never owned an LS and do not know what to look for.. thanks..

Very common issue is coils going out, but the 03 v8 has them covered up to 100k miles. Scan the codes and look them up. You might be able to bring the cost down a bit more due to the engine light being on and if it's the coils, just take it to ford for free coil replacement, bad ones only though. Be on the look out for the tranny as well, hard shifting when going into reverse is pretty common due to solenoids going bad. Cracked coolant pipes or degas bottle are also common but an easy fix.

rust

The most common areas for rust are the rear fenders by and inside the rear door. Open the doors and check for rust around or under the door seals at the back. Rust is difficult to fix when it starts. Mechanically everything is just replacing parts. The front fenders, hood and trunk all aluminum so bubbling may occur but it is easier to fix aluminum because when it corrodes it form a layer that helps to inhibit further corrssion.

ok,that particular LS is out. but we found another 03, it has 119 on it, the seller tells me that the check engine light is on due to bad coils, but it still runs ok. he tells me the transmission was rebuilt under warranty by ford at 70k and he has the paperwork for it. my question is basically this, is the 03 LS a reliable car in general, i mean as far as major stuff, motor tranny ect.. do i have to worry about the tranny rebuild? thanks..

reliable

My answer is it is not a Honda or toyota. The key is maintenace. The v8s also had issues with the timing chains. Do some searches here. Use good oil (synthetic preferred) and good changes. Same with the tranny. When I buy a used car I change all the fluids, oil, trans, diff, brake, coolant, ps, etc.

Yes this car can be expensive to fix bit most if nit all the fixes have been covered here, the coils can be purchased at eBay or go to expensive route and get the motorcraft ones, the 03 is a second Gen Ls so mostof the original issues the ls have been fixed or greatly improved for for example Gen 2 don't suffer as much from the gasket leaking and the dccv has been moved for easier access stuff like that. Ford claims 500 improvements. Also one thing to check turn on the ac and check if its cold then switch it to hot to see if the temp changes if it does then your dccv is good if one side of the car is cool and the other is hot you have a dirty or failing dccv. The dccv and the coils are the moat common failures of the ls and that's on any year.

so as far as the engines and trannys dieing all the time, this is not something i have to worry too much about, i mean i know it is possible, but take for instance the head gaskets on the caddy northstars, they eaither have a bad head gasket or will within the hour!! im talking about those types of scares..

so as far as the engines and trannys dieing all the time, this is not something i have to worry too much about, i mean i know it is possible, but take for instance the head gaskets on the caddy northstars, they eaither have a bad head gasket or will within the hour!! im talking about those types of scares..

No headgasket problems on the LS. Probably the most serious potential issue is the timing chain tensioners. Those were improved on the 2003, and improved again on the 2006. Generally, the gen II's don't seem to see as many timing chain tensioner problems as the gen Is do. If the right oil was used and changed as needed, then you should be okay there.

The second most serious is the solenoid assembly in the transmission.

Just remember that it was a $40K car when new, and will cost more to maintain than a car that was $14K when new.

ok, so i went and looked at the car, the car will not rev at all, i hit the gas pedal in park, and nothing, i know there is a rev limiter at 3000, but i cant even get it over 1k, is this because the coil pack is shot??

ok, so i went and looked at the car, the car will not rev at all, i hit the gas pedal in park, and nothing, i know there is a rev limiter at 3000, but i cant even get it over 1k, is this because the coil pack is shot??

Probably.
Do note that gas pedal response is pretty slow in park or neutral, but if you give it a few seconds, it should get to 3K.

The LS does not have a coil pack. Instead, it has eight COPs, Coil-On-Plug.

Also, be aware that misfiring COPs can cause the catalytic converters to clog up. Clogged converters can also keep the engine from going to 3K RPM.

Last edited:

Members online

Back