Looking into a 96 Mark VIII

Nitrochris

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello, I am new to this forum and looking into a 96 Mark VIII for a new car. Up untill about 2 weeks ago I had a 93 Sable LS which blew a head gasket and went to the scrapyard. Now I'm looking into a new vehicle and came across the Mark VIII. I'm on a farily low budget as I'm in college (under $7000) and it apears these cars can be found for a decent price with relativly low millage.
I've found a 96 VIII (think its just the 280hp version) with only 17000 miles and a asking price of $7500 though it is a repaired salvage title. Sounds like a great deal for one of these with very low millage. I might go test drive it this weekend so I'm wondering what I should look out for?
I'm aware that the models changed a bit in the 97 run. I've heard there was a transmissioin update with these changes, is that true? How long do the trannies typically last in these? I plan to use it primarilly as a commuting vehicle. I've also seen that the headlights can be a trouble spot so I will check those. I'm looking for something that will be farily reliable and last me a few years (and would be fun to drive!). I'm not too concerned with fuel economy though.
Thanks for any help
Chris

I have a 96 and the biggest problems I have are the air ride system and the transmission (I think I need the shift accumulators and mlps fixed up). I don't know about paying that much for a salvage title car though, do you know what happened to it? It has really low miles though.

That was the other thing I forgot to ask, was what would a fair price be for that? I know it seems a bit high and I would hope I could talk the owner down some. KBB on it is around $7000 not including the salvage title. I don't know exactly what happend to it either but it has been fully repaired.

thats too much for a 96 you can get a gen II for $8,000.00 it should be like $3,200.00 for that car. keep looking you can find better for less

Nitrochris said:
Hello, I am new to this forum and looking into a 96 Mark VIII for a new car. Up untill about 2 weeks ago I had a 93 Sable LS which blew a head gasket and went to the scrapyard. Now I'm looking into a new vehicle and came across the Mark VIII. I'm on a farily low budget as I'm in college (under $7000) and it apears these cars can be found for a decent price with relativly low millage.
I've found a 96 VIII (think its just the 280hp version) with only 17000 miles and a asking price of $7500 though it is a repaired salvage title. Sounds like a great deal for one of these with very low millage. I might go test drive it this weekend so I'm wondering what I should look out for?
I'm aware that the models changed a bit in the 97 run. I've heard there was a transmissioin update with these changes, is that true? How long do the trannies typically last in these? I plan to use it primarilly as a commuting vehicle. I've also seen that the headlights can be a trouble spot so I will check those. I'm looking for something that will be farily reliable and last me a few years (and would be fun to drive!). I'm not too concerned with fuel economy though.
Thanks for any help
Chris
Wow....ummm....I would say to just move on and find something else. I got my 1995 Mark VIII for $4500. I would not even think about paying that much that has a salvage title for it. I would say here's $3000 take it or leave it.

Salvage title = Bargaining chip

17,000 miles is not to be considered in this case. It could have possibly been stored in 1998 after a flood or wreck, then rebuilt last year after sitting all that time. In other words.. you would rather spend $7500 on a clean 96 with closer to 80,000 miles. That way you know it was regularly maintained and kept well.

Considering 96 Mark

Hey, if it were me I'd pass. Definitely the cost is too high for this one. But in general, the Mark is not a car for a student's budget... If you look at this site as well as websearching you'll see many common problems they have that are costly! $800-1000 to fix the [heater] blend door [mostly 97-98], $500-600 to replace a headlight, transmission shudder [had on 96, 97 and 98], air suspension system, etc. If you get a great one you'll still encounter these probs sooner or later... I'd seriously consider a Honda or Toyota :)

A Honda... or a Toyota...OK! Someone took a wrong turn on the information superhighway and ended up here.

badbolr said:
Hey, if it were me I'd pass. Definitely the cost is too high for this one. But in general, the Mark is not a car for a student's budget... If you look at this site as well as websearching you'll see many common problems they have that are costly! $800-1000 to fix the [heater] blend door [mostly 97-98], $500-600 to replace a headlight, transmission shudder [had on 96, 97 and 98], air suspension system, etc. If you get a great one you'll still encounter these probs sooner or later... I'd seriously consider a Honda or Toyota :)

I disagree with the students budget thing. I got my 95 when I was 16, my first car. But I do think that is alot of money for a salvage title car, no matter the mileage.

A couple months ago i drove about 450 miles to look at a 96 lsc, owner said it was beautiful w\ no flaws, did have a salvage title tho. I drove 6 hours each way to spend less than five minutes realizing it was indeed a salvage car (93\94 rear bumper, and a complete 93 interior, and all the correct molding and badging for a 96 lsc, and mileage did NOT match the wear, but it had so many mismatched parts i drove away). And all this time the owner had no idea, he thought that is how it was supposed to be. Just my $.02

Sounds like everyone thinks the salvage is a bad idea. I'm thinking with the issues on the 1st generation, I'd be better to get a 97 or 98 with higher mileage. As for matinence costs, I try to do what I can myself to keep costs down. I can also say I won't be looking at a Toyota or Honda. The other vehicles I've considered are a 96-97 Thunderbird or a newer Impala. I would prefer a sport coupe though (enjoy a car before a family comes into the picture) and its seems that a Mark VIII can be found for the same price as a T-bird. Thanks for all the feedback.
Chris

Nitrochris said:
Sounds like everyone thinks the salvage is a bad idea. I'm thinking with the issues on the 1st generation, I'd be better to get a 97 or 98 with higher mileage. As for matinence costs, I try to do what I can myself to keep costs down. I can also say I won't be looking at a Toyota or Honda. The other vehicles I've considered are a 96-97 Thunderbird or a newer Impala. I would prefer a sport coupe though (enjoy a car before a family comes into the picture) and its seems that a Mark VIII can be found for the same price as a T-bird. Thanks for all the feedback.
Chris

You can get a decent mile 1st gen really cheap. I paid $1300 for my current 94, $1750 for my 96. The 96 was a fairly good car from the beginning, the 94 is turning out to be solid after a few hundred in parts and my hard work. For 4 grand or less you can get a very solid car with little or nothing wrong.

Nitrochris said:
Chris

What issues are you talking about? You have it backwards. A Gen 1 is more affordable than a Gen 2. Less electronics, less things to break, HIDs are $175/bulb, tail lamp is $700/each, blend door almost $1000 to fix. What are you talking about?

seanklsc said:
What issues are you talking about? You have it backwards. A Gen 1 is more affordable than a Gen 2. Less electronics, less things to break, HIDs are $175/bulb, tail lamp is $700/each, blend door almost $1000 to fix. What are you talking about?

I guess I was under the impression that the Gen 1's had more issues, such as the dim headlights. I didn't take into account repair costs on the newer models though which is a good point. Other than new lights, interior changes and different body style are there any more major mechanical differences between the 1st and 2nd generation Mark's?

Nitrochris said:
I guess I was under the impression that the Gen 1's had more issues, such as the dim headlights. I didn't take into account repair costs on the newer models though which is a good point. Other than new lights, interior changes and different body style are there any more major mechanical differences between the 1st and 2nd generation Mark's?

I have owned my 93 mark viii for around 5 years and in that time, the only 3 things that ive absolutly had to replace to drive the car are new battery terminals, a new fuel pump, fix gasket on the oil filter adapter. For a grand total of like $315 bucks in repairs.

I bought my car in fairly sad shape too. Person I got it from had it lowered way too much considering it had ground effects and alot of potholes in his neighborhood, he broke them suckers in quite a few spots, and someone hit the rear bumber very hard with a motorcycles front tire at 1 point.

Oh and the 1 other repair ive done is had to rewire the drivers seat because dude that owned it before me spilled his hi c orange mcdonalds pop all over under there and it somehow screwed the wires up.

Im very pleased with the amount of work my car requires, for its year and miles its been basically as troublefree as I could ask..... 142k miles on motor.

I agree with the majority here - the price seems way too high for a salvage title. A lot of insurance companies won't even insure the car if it has a salvage title - if you decide to go forward with it, make sure and check with your insurance first.

I bought a 96 with 56k miles on it for 6500.00, and to be honest, i probably paid more than i should have, but the car is in great shape - brand new tires, brakes on all 4 corners, all fluids changed recently, etc. Keep looking - there are deals all over the place - you just have to be patient. :L

Hey I wouldn't worry about miles as much as the salvage title.

Make sure the air ride is working and bags aren't leaking. Make sure the tranny is solid.

A Mark VIII with 100K to 130K is a good buy with many miles left on the car.

You should be able to get them from $2,000 to $4,500. Just spent a month looking around and at many cars. After selling mine for $1300 :waving:

I purchased a 93 Mark VIII in June with 156K on it and have taking up to 183K since. Runs great paid $2,400 for it. That was before I knew anything about a Mark VIII. It is very solid and I would still take it across country. Only money put into this was an accumulator, and Alternator. I purchased a 95 Mark VIII this past March with 118K on it. Paid a little over $3K for it. Great car very solid gain. Drove it from South Carolina to Wisconsin. Would take it anywhere also.

As for Gas mileage I get over 30 mpg hwy on both cars. Total average is usually around 25.5 mpgs.

When I took my 93 to CO through the mountains it got 25+ mpgs through the mountains.

In my opinion the Mark VIII is a great value for anyone!!! But watch what you buy!

With a 96 you can get a good looking one for 3000-4000, and even less than 3000. The car should be scanned at Orileys or Auto zone for a code showing ,lean mixture, Intake manifold running control possible cause.The 1996 has been known to fail a e check test because one of the 2 are broken. Ford only made the part in 1996 and its the only year that part will fix the car. No substitutions. I went 3 years before I found 2 of them thru pull a part. The make sure the hoprn works and cruise too. if not it may need a clock spring. Hard to find too. Try the a/c. if its good move on to the light, Check all of them including the dash in a dark setting. Try power windows for failure. Look body over for scratches and rust. body work is hard to do and expensive to have done. Look tires over . Best is to pay a honest shop 100 tp 150 for a complete going over incl brakes ,loose ball joins , the whole 9 yards. Then offer the guy less by the amount the garage says to fix it. Every used car needs 500 work to start. Be carefull of those IMRC on any 1996,

Hi Chris,
There are a few reasons to be shy of buying a car with a salvage title, besides the obvious (wrecked at some point) it also could be a stolen vehicle that was recovered by cops and no owner claimed.....yet. Happened to a friend of mine who bought a 89 Camaro, owner finally laid claim to it and my friend was SOL. Something to think on... I bought my '96 Mark VIII off a craigslist ad in absolutely pristine condition from original geriatric owners who garaged it and kept all maintenance records, including every 30 point car wash! Still had the "New car" smell and soft leather seats not a scratch on her and only 71,000 original miles. How much did I pay for this beauty? Wait for it....$1,800. I bought in in Bellingham Washington. It is the best most intelligent money. I ever spent on a car. everything works and she is loaded to the max, The air ride is a dream. What you pay for a car depends allot on where you live, but it also depends allot on how much of a hurry you are in. I waited four years for this car...always looking, every single day. I knew what I wanted and was not going to settle for anything less. The '96 Mark VII will not disappoint you if you can afford to be picky, and never pay that much for it please.You just don't have to. BTW: I am always suspicious of a car that age with so few miles on the speedo. Here is a pic of my $1,800 beauty:
1111.JPG

1111.JPG

gentlemen, the individual who started this thread hasn't been on this forum in 5 years.

Members online

No members online now.
Back