Looking for Wheel Locks, Discovered Spline Drive

Elemino

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever used these on a car? I'm assuming they should fit the LS. I'm all for things that make stealing parts from my car more difficult. The pros seem pretty obvious. Does anyone know the cons to using a set of these?

11VCDmHG1TL._SS400_.jpg

McGard 65557CN Chrome SplineDrive Wheel Installation Kit (M12 x 1.5 Thread Size) - For 5 Lug Wheels

The only cons I can think of are:

1. Losing the key that lets you remove them.
2. If someone really wants the wheels and feels like they have the extra time they may break into the car to look for the key, thus causing more damage than there would have been.
3. May need to carry more than one lug wrench in the car as the key size may not match the rest of the lug nuts.
4. Forgetting to tell the tire shop that it has a key, and getting a monkey that doesn't understand what to do when something doesn't quite go right and tries to remove the locking lug with an impact wrench anyway.

The only cons I can think of are:

1. Losing the key that lets you remove them.
2. If someone really wants the wheels and feels like they have the extra time they may break into the car to look for the key, thus causing more damage than there would have been.
3. May need to carry more than one lug wrench in the car as the key size may not match the rest of the lug nuts.
4. Forgetting to tell the tire shop that it has a key, and getting a monkey that doesn't understand what to do when something doesn't quite go right and tries to remove the locking lug with an impact wrench anyway.

1. Losing the key is always a concern. I'd probably keep them under the spare.

2. My new alarm should take care of #2. But there are crafty ppl that can jack up a car without setting off an alarm. Opening the trunk immediately sets off the alarm though. Also I had a hidden pain generator installed back there.

3. I don't have a lug wrench at all. For some reason my car didn't have one when I bought it. Also the factory jack is crap and nearly fell apart last time I tried to use it.

4. The shop is a major concern. I'm not sure how they will react to having a setup like this on a car. My biggest concern is actually having some idiot strip the threads because he doesn't know what to do.

I'm not sure I explained what this kit is well enough though. This kit replaces all of your lugs with spline lugs for 4 of them, and those traditional locking lugs for the 5th on each wheel. So you actually get two socket drives for this set.

Click for full product image

The good wheel locks, not sure about these, have a code that allows u to order a new key. I always have two at all times. I also have two spline sockets too because I have had the break. They have a thin wall that will crack fairly easily

a friend of mine just bought a set of 22" for his 300, the dude is so damn paranoid of someone trying to jack his wheels that he bought five different sets of locks (a couple of different brands too), so each wheel need five different keys to remove them. on one hand, its a little ridiculous, but then on the other hand, you have to respect the commitment he has for going way overboard!!

but just from looking at the picture, that is not the right kind of lug nut for the LS, that one kind of looks like it is conical shaped.

and to get that off all I have to do is hammer a junk socket on the lug and take it off, I have had to do this twice on my old Pontiac, then I gave up on the locking lugs they are a waste. Anyone who wants those wheels will get those wheels. what they need to do is make one that replaces the stud and locks down the wheels like a trailer hitch lock.

a friend of mine just bought a set of 22" for his 300, the dude is so damn paranoid of someone trying to jack his wheels that he bought five different sets of locks (a couple of different brands too), so each wheel need five different keys to remove them. on one hand, its a little ridiculous, but then on the other hand, you have to respect the commitment he has for going way overboard!!

but just from looking at the picture, that is not the right kind of lug nut for the LS, that one kind of looks like it is conical shaped.
That is crazy... I know the tire shop hates him! lol

You have a point. I forgot the type of lugs the LS has. These wouldn't work anyway, even though Amazon says they will.

and to get that off all I have to do is hammer a junk socket on the lug and take it off, I have had to do this twice on my old Pontiac, then I gave up on the locking lugs they are a waste. Anyone who wants those wheels will get those wheels. what they need to do is make one that replaces the stud and locks down the wheels like a trailer hitch lock.
I'm actually surprised no one has created a lug that free spins until you put the right key on it. I suppose it really isn't worth the trouble.

All this was brought about by a dream I had last night. I went somewhere in the LS, and I was walking back to the car when I saw another LS speeding off. I look at my car and all 4 wheels were gone. I have the factory '06 wheels, but I wouldn't put it past some people. I may just be over paranoid. I don't feel the typical locks are enough either, that's why I was asking about these. Doesn't look like they will work though.

at the dealer if we had a set come in on a used car... we would just hammer a socket over the top... sometimes you could save the socket, sometimes not. but it never failed getting them off....mine are rounded (and luckly damn near the same diameter as the stud hole) and would prevent this from working... but very few wheels are like that

I have used those type of lugs for years. They are not so much a key, as they are just a special socket. All the lugs from that brand, at least in that general size, will use the same socket. Example....If you go to an auto parts store and buy a set of these lug nuts, lose the socket, you can go back and buy another set to get the socket. I had a set of these made by Gorilla, lost the socket, bought a cheap no name set from an auto-zone, and the socket worked on the Gorilla lug nuts. I would not consider these a locking lug nut by any means but, they are far less common then a standard hex lug nut.

I'm actually surprised no one has created a lug that free spins until you put the right key on it. I suppose it really isn't worth the trouble.

you mean like these? Not 100% on the fitment but it seems to be what your talking about.

see those would be useful as you can not just pound a socket on them and take them off.

I know what you have now, I've got a set on my truck. Didn't realize that was what you were looking at initially. They work pretty well on deep well wheels.

Members online

No members online now.
Back