Looking for pics of Gen I-->II tail light swap

FDR

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm thinking about switching my black 02's outer lights. I want the smooth lights and prefer yellow blinkers, but I don't know how the smooth outers will match the ridged inners. Anyone have pictures of Gen I's with Gen II tail lights?

I'm thinking about switching my black 02's outer lights. I want the smooth lights and prefer yellow blinkers, but I don't know how the smooth outers will match the ridged inners. Anyone have pictures of Gen I's with Gen II tail lights?

There are pics here somewhere.......

There are pics here somewhere.......

Forgot to mention: I've done several searches and they all are either just "yes you can swap" or unrelated. I also clicked through 15 pages of the Official Picture Thread and counting...

I've never seen it down where they keep the gen I Inners and just changed the outers.

I've never seen it down where they keep the gen I Inners and just changed the outers.

20130907_163802.jpg

20130907_163821.jpg

I tried it like this for a while, wasn't 100% sold on the look. Getting a few of my lenses lightly black/clear coated,
looking to mix it up a little, see what it looks like, if not I'm just going with the all reds.

20130907_163802.jpg

20130907_163821.jpg

wow that looks really good BigRig , and tinting the lights will definetly make it better, I would tint all the red really dark and leave the clear part alone

Hmm, I was thinking more along the lines of both inners and outers, a very little black added to a clear coat.

Thinking about doing both GEN's outers, along with the stock 1st GEN inners, see what that looks like.
if I don't like one or the other, I could easily switch back to stock all red with the lightly tinted clear.

Every LS I do find at the boneyards, I grab the rear lenses if they aren't damaged and I get them for 19.99$

maybe its just because im use to seeing all red 1st gen lights, but at 1st glance it looks like the lenses was broke and the reflector was shinning through.

I tried it like this for a while, wasn't 100% sold on the look. Getting a few of my lenses lightly black/clear coated,
looking to mix it up a little, see what it looks like, if not I'm just going with the all reds.

Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Any other angles? Did the ridges stand out against the Gen IIs? I did a few quick edits in GIMP to try out some ideas. I'm posting more for your silver car to maybe help you decide. Let me know if you want any other tint styles.

And you find tail lights for $20? I thought I found a great deal at $30 because eBay lists 03+ for about 70/ea. The yard I got a spare inner set would charge $30... if they had more than just a Gen I. It balanced out I think because I got 2 inners, 2 headlights, a grille, and part of the intake (the part with the now-removed silencer) for $140. Junkyards just don't have that many LSs around here. :(

linc tail examples.jpg

linc tail examples.jpg

Great, thanks a lot Frank, now I want a black LS with silver wheels! LOL

thanks for the editing on that, gives me a couple of options to think about.
and yes the ridges are there on the 1st GEN lens but it's not that noticeable from what I recall.
I have all red on right now. I like the two last from bottom up, only the top portions across lightly tinted or all lightly tinted.

I have one or more two straight on pics but they weren't that good, I'll scramble for them when I get back home tonight.

holy sht his car in black iss evil , you got some editing skills

Thanks. Its not too hard once you copy the parts and paste them to new layers on top of the original image. You keep a base unedited version to duplicate whenever you want a new style. I made those from one multilayer image with 2 cars and 8 sets of tail light halves, all on different layers. Top/bottom, dark tint/medium/light/none

Great, thanks a lot Frank, now I want a black LS with silver wheels! LOL

thanks for the editing on that, gives me a couple of options to think about.
and yes the ridged are there on the 1st GEN lens but it's not that noticeable from what I recall.
I have all red on right now. I like the two last from bottom up, only the top portions across lightly tinted or all lightly tinted.

I have one or more two straight on pics but they weren't that good, I'll scramble for them when I get back home tonight.

Hey, I'll edit whatever pictures you want if you send me some $19.99 Gen II tails! My local junkyards total maybe 3 LS's in stock, all Gen 1. eBay wants ~$70 a piece.

Would you be willing to sell just the outer lights for less than the full set? What'd shipping be to NJ 08837?

Nice way of looking at it. In lighter colors the color matched surround isn't that big of a deal but definitely more impact in dark, esp. black.

2nd down in black looks ok. If it were mine I'd go darker on the top part of the lights like pic #6 (and if those big cannons were tucked up a little)

BigRig, must be a blast drifting the LS on those sandy roads

Hey, I'll edit whatever pictures you want if you send me some $19.99 Gen II tails! My local junkyards total maybe 3 LS's in stock, all Gen 1. eBay wants ~$70 a piece.

Just so you don't think I'm pulling your chain.​

Yesterdays local u-Pull-it raid: $62CDN

attachment.jpg

20140316_001903.jpg

^ OUTER BRAKE LAMP​

Whole rear surround also only cost me,

: PARKLIGHT LENS - $1.99
: PARKLIGHT LENS - $1.99
: LICENSE PLATE BRACKET ASSY - $0.99
: MOLDING UNDER 24" - $3.49

Whole sunroof assembly (w/ motor & glass)

: SUNROOF ASSY - $24.99

Top mount third brake light,

: SIDE LIGHT LENS - $3.99

... didn't even charge me for the shock tower covers, trunk light, fuses/relays and the misc hardware.

20140316_001903.jpg

I have nothing to say, only jealously. NJ doesn't even let you walk the yard half the time because of "insurance" reasons. In other words, some big chain got a lawyer to advocate the dangers of non-professional people in junkyards.

Soa re you trying to build a spare LS?

Bwahaha, not really, just feeding my addiction a little here and there.

Hello, my name is BIGRIG
... and I can't seem to stop buying parts for this LS of mine.

attachment.jpg

sexaddictionmainimage.jpg

There's a couple of yard around here that won't let you walk the premises either but others are u-pull-it yards. Sign a waiver on the way in.

Still need pic of the back end straight on with those mix match lenses on?

Frank, here's another pic from the back side.

If you like a good joke, you should see my mismatched tails!

attachment.jpg

Had put the outer two tones on to see what it would look like.
I like the amber turns but haven't bothered putting the full reds back on.

Kinda looks alright but you can tell it's not meant to be, I'll eventually
put the all reds back on but still looking for GEN I two tone inner tails.

... Thanks, that's what I was looking for. Any other angles?

20130305_153813.jpg

Frank, could you possible show me lightly tinted on the top part of the lenses, as well as fully lightly tinted ?

as in these ... would really appreciate it!

lenses.jpg

oh and the rear back up lenses as well ... please, pretty please w/ sugar on top!

TIA

20130305_153813.jpg

lenses.jpg

At Standard Auto Wreckers in Toronto they do a 'free parts day' once a month during the season. You pay $50 at the door and can walk out with whatever you can carry. I went at the end of the year last year and there was a gen 1 V6 and a gen 1 V8 in the u-pull-it yard. Here is a (grainy) picture of my haul:

1173800_10151897233283729_1566786405_n.jpg

I grabbed an SST shifter, front grilles, rear surround, tail light covers, IAC valve, passenger door panel, all b-pillar trim and door trim and a clock spring. It was a good day :)

1173800_10151897233283729_1566786405_n.jpg

Rig- I've been caught up with valve cover gasket installation woes. Got way too cold, lost a day, snapped a bolt, lost a day, found an o-ring *outside* the cover after torquing down and it's raining now, so tomorrow's another day. Pic 1 is full light tint (all have tinted backups), 2 is top half, 3 is blinkers only, and 4 is for my personal use.

Question: since you have a farm of tail lights lying about, does it look like the inner bulb hole on the outer tail light can be dremeled out to fit a 3157 socket instead of a 168? As in, is there enough flat surface area to cut it up to fit a second 3157? As funny as it sounds for a Gen 1, I'd love some larger brake lights. The assemblies are huge with barely any actual light.

linc tail swap edit rear straighton examples.jpg

EDIT: I'm not sure why that picture is so small, so here's a link to an image hosting site with the full 500x2000 http://i.imgur.com/fNk2WIo.png

linc tail swap edit rear straighton examples.jpg

Members online

Back