Looking for Perspective on Lincoln issues

1994 Continental

New LVC Member
Reaction score
94 Conti system shut down while driving

Lincoln's system shut down while driving. After a bit restarted and two blocks later shut down again. Had towed to repair shop. Below is from mechanic shop.

Repair Shop Diagnosis:

Ran KOEO and KOER codes:

Code 116 - Engine coolant tempt higher or lower than expected

Codes 172 - lack of heater 02 sensor switching indicated on bank 1

This ordeal happened on a 102 degree day and has cost me $351 for towing, shop diagnosis, and car rental. I still do not know what is wrong with the car.

Code 533 - elect instrument cluster circuit failure

None of these codes can cause customer's experience of the Lincoln ceasing operating while driving, and then again while ideling at intersection.

Ran vehicle in shop for 30 mins last night, and three hours today. Test drove vehicle runs well. Cannot duplicate customers experience. -- won't fail for us..

Tested Fuel Pressure 32 PSI, Spec is 30-to-40....41 PSI with regulator disconnected... the pressure dropped when snapping throttle and it should increase.

Fuel volume test good.

Cylinder balance test good. Recommend return to service, or, have here until it will act up. If problem persists we will continue diagnosis at no charge.

So far it has cost me $351 and I still do not know what to fix.

Last edited:
I agree with shop diagnoses. None of those codes would cause engine to die. You have some other issues happening here. You are going to have to stay close to home or shop till this thing fails completly. I know it sucks but sometimes thats the way these things are.

Members online

Back