Looking for Diff Locker

I know a guy here in North Carolina, USA that has 11 or 12 LS's that he parts out or fixes. Worth a call if you're interested? LMK, I'll dig up the info. He said I can give you the number and you can text.

Plus another guy I use for my Benz parts. He just got a LS in but I don't know the particulars.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply.

The Diff locker would be a an after market part to lock the spiders in the rear diff, forcing the LS to go Posi.

You're in custom swap territory. ILLS gives you all the critical info you need. The subtext is you'll need to swap to a Gen 1 rear. From what I remember it's supposed to be a "bolt in" on the Gen 2 car. Heh.
So if you find a locker you like for the ford 8.8, that "should" fit in the Gen 1 rear.

02V8Sport said in that forum it will work on Gen II, I shouldn't have to swap out for Gen 1 28 spline.
(unless he's referring to something else)
His post:
it will work for a GEN2, I put a 8.8 Trak-Loc in my diff this week. Will have it up and running in the car this Saturday.

Im open to just locking the diff. I mean, I've heard welding the spiders is a bad idea due to balancing. Could use more info on this.

EDIT:
I'm a bit green, hence the asking for my hand held through understanding this. SPSully who had a 2001 Gen I, told me he put a locker in, and he was always locked. I'd basically like to do that with my Gen II

Last edited:
he also said this...

Yes, the gen2 diff is way different, the diff casing is offset a lot and the axle shaft would not slide all the way in if you swapped a standard 8.8" diff into it.

and unless you only want to drive in a straight line, you do not want to have your rear gears welded shut. the car wont turn for sh!t. if you try to turn sharply its just going to pop and hop around. there is a very important reason why LSDs allow a limited amount of slip

and unless you only want to drive in a straight line, you do not want to have your rear gears welded shut. the car wont turn for sh!t. if you try to turn sharply its just going to pop and hop around. there is a very important reason why LSDs allow a limited amount of slip

The LS won't hop. It has way too much weight on its rear tires. The rear suspension being independent allows enough flex to balance it around corners. It will chirp the tires, thats for sure << around sharp corners. But with YZ/R rated tires, widened to 245 - 265, breaking traction around corners will almost certainly be user error.

SPSully had a diff locker welded in on his 2001. Both tires spun at all times. It was a bracket that kept the diff locked. He took me for a spin. Let me tell you, a lowered LS with stiffened shocks and a locker, with 265mm wide in the front + rear, pushing 420hp, will snap you in your seat no matter straight or corner.
But I guess you had to be there, in his car, to believe it.

I'm just looking for a safe, but affordable method to make both tires spin.

Is there a certain danger to the diff if I get a skilled mechanic to weld the spider using a locker (bracket) like SPSully did?
I was told that welding the spiders is risky because it has to be weighted evenly, otherwise I can tear the gear apart. Anyone with knowledge on diffs who can weigh in?

Members online

No members online now.
Back