Look at my newly installed courtesy light!

Tony_1992

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
My dad's car has four courtesy lights on the four doors which looks super nice in the night! So I did some research and finally installed it on my Lincoln LS. It is extremely easy to install. First check out how it looks like!

Though the procedure is easy, you still need some specific tools to do this stuff.
Tools you need:

Installment procedure:
  1. Turn off your car. You can notice that the puddle light on each side mirror could be the power source of the projector. It'll light up when we remotely open the door, and go out when we start driving. Perfectly matches our need.
  2. Remove the door trim panel. More information could be found here. 2006 Lincoln LS Workshop Manual. You may need to peal the sponge cover off. Then, unclip all of the electric harness(or hose, or plug, you name it) that connect the door body and the panel. Be careful while doing this. Do not damage any wire. Move the door trim panel away.
  3. Look for the harness that connects to the side mirror and look for its corresponding harness bounded in the metal window frame. We'll work on the second one.
  4. Use a multimeter to find out the +12V and ground. While the ground is easy to to find cause they are always the black one, +12V is a little bit difficult. Be patient, lock and unlock your car for several times and use multimeter to monitor the simultaneous voltage change. It'll be 0V when the car is locked and 12V when unlocked with engine not starting yet.
  5. Strip the rubber cover of the wire and expose the metal core, then you are done with this part. Remember to insulate the 12V and ground with tape.
  6. Mount the drill bit that comes with the LED projector to your drill and tighten it. I don't recommend using a portable drill but if you have enough time, it'll also work.
  7. Mark the place of holes under the door. There's a flat(or plane) metal area under the door with enough space to the pedal. It is safe to drill here. You can cover the place by insulating tape in order to locating and not to scratch other metal parts.
  8. Then DRILL A HOLE! It should match exactly with the size of LED projector. Insert the lead and he LED projector upward through the hole and make sure it's tighten.
  9. Connect the positive and negative lead of the LED projector to the 12V and ground you just found on the harness, and then use insulating tape to make sure no short circuit is possible.
  10. When you arrive here, the LED light should be working normally now. Then adjust the angle of Lincoln logo to your favorite direction.
  11. Reconnect all of the harness and put the trim panel back. Then you are done! Enjoy your newly installed LED projector and show is to your girlfriend!

Foe the next step, I'm thinking of adding a three way switch and a relay in cigarette ash tray, to make 12V power shut down automatically when I turn off the engine.

Last edited:
looks pretty good, was just about to order a couple pairs for my ST.

Foe the next step, I'm thinking of adding a three way switch and a relay in cigarette ash tray, to make 12V power shut down automatically when I turn off the engine.

Literally the very first mod I do to an car that doesn't already have acc powered cig/power ports. with the LS, I only changed the front port next to the charger. I left the center console port powered the way it was

Members online

Back