Longest time in the service bay

owlman

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
The dealer has had my car for four days now doing random repairs. Supposed to be done today...
Four days feels like a long time :( but I'm certain some of you have been without your dear LS for much longer.
Who's got the record for longest stay at the dealer/repair shop??

My LS was in for 12 days getting all kinds of warranty work done. New rack and pinion, rear diff bearings and trans clutchs replaced.

After I bought mine last year it was in an out, most of the time in for about the first 2 months. Bought it at the end of may and finally got it back towards the end of July I think. I was driving a brand new Focus at first, then they gave me a Towncar, then another Towncar and the last one I was in was a brand new MKX (just over 600 miles on it). All this for just one problem, corroded wires.

1 week for coils then it had to go back in cause they didnt fix it and it was in for another 4-5 days cause they found other problems.

IMO I appreciated the wait the second time in cause they kissed my ass and made sure to find anything wrong that they could fix under warranty for me which is why it was in so long in total.

They had my car for about a week when the did the steering rack. I bought it from a GM dealer. They replaced the rack, but had to ship it out to a Lincoln dealer to calibrate the Steering Angle Sensor.

The time before that was just a hair under a week, for the cylinder head temp sensor. they got the wrong part - twice - before finally receiving the right one to put in.

Was that your red LS up at PLM?

I took it to Maxwell Ford since I live down south and Pavilion is a lot farther away. Maybe they had no idea what they were doing so they drove it up there to get it fixed lol
If you can put in a good word at PLM to get me a loaner car, I'll take it there next time! All the dealers i called said no loaners :shifty:

12 business days, 16 days total.

valve cover gaskets, 4 coils, tranny rebuild, 4 new tires, trunk lid paint

Atleast 2 weeks maybe more I can't remember the exact time. It was when I had my torque converter replaced. First they told me it was my cats, took it down to the exhaust shop and they're like no you're right it's the trans. I took it back and told them I was sure it was the torque converter but they argued up and down it was the flex plate. They said they would eat the cost if it didn't fix the noise, took them more than a week to replace it. I was in Yellowstone and the car was in the shop the entire time I was gone. Got back and the noise was still there. At that point I told them to replace the torque converter even if I had to eat the cost if it didn't fix the problem. That took at least another week but sure enough the noise was gone. I bet they felt like a bunch of dumb asses when a 17 year old out smarted an entire shop full of certified techs. I wasn't complaining though because they did the job for $700 and some change when everyone else was quoting me $1500-$2000 for the job. One guy at Aamco even tried to tell me that I couldn't leave his shop because it was dangerous to drive blah blah blah and that they needed to needed to be fixed immediately yet he couldn't even tell me what the problem was and that it would be like $70 an hour for each part they looked at. Needless to say I told him to get lost.

does a body shop count? if so my 1st gen spent 4 months at the ford body shop when a friend hit a huge deer while being a designated driver, then before i could take it in somebody backed a trailer hitch through the rear bumper, the shop kept saying they where having problems getting some parts blah blah blah, 4 months later it looked like new

I think my brothers was somewhere around 3-4 weeks. He had to have the motor dropped out for something or other, I am sure he will chime in.

I think my brothers was somewhere around 3-4 weeks. He had to have the motor dropped out for something or other, I am sure he will chime in.

My car was in the shop for just about a month to change a cylinder head. They claimed it was bad. Had to pull the engine and repair it (see avatar pic) I had a Sable to drive around for that time, fun.

It took the dealer 23 days to find a drain in the electric system for my car.
Ended up being the actual alternator and now my car is running on its 3rd one. I'm glad I extended my warranty just had the clock spring replaced last week.

I took it to Maxwell Ford since I live down south and Pavilion is a lot farther away. Maybe they had no idea what they were doing so they drove it up there to get it fixed lol
If you can put in a good word at PLM to get me a loaner car, I'll take it there next time! All the dealers i called said no loaners :shifty:

I don't even get loaners however they do comp. on rentals sometimes. I've done a lot for those guys in my profession so if I scratch their back a little they'll scratch mine.

My car actually needs to go back in for oil, fuel filter and coils. I have a flashing CEL. Great!

Dealership had my car for 3 weeks, right after I bought it. I was having issues with the heated seats.

3 weeks later I had new blower motors, heating ducts, 6 Disc Changer/Radio, and water pump.

It was nice that they replaced all of those parts, but I brought it in for what I thought was a simple fix. LOL

We FINALLY got a car off the lift at work today after waiting for a clutch for it. Total time in the shop (and on the lift the entire time) was 51 days.

My dad just got his 04 LS back, it's basically been in the shop since DECEMBER, so like a solid FOUR MONTHS!

And to top it off, now the A/C went berserk and only blows hot air. I just wish we could get rid of this lemon. I'm envious of the guys who don't have major problems with their LS' because it really is a nice car, when it works...

Just saw this thread and I might now hold the record...

Went in the shop June 6. Got it back on July 14. 39 days!

My dad just got his 04 LS back, it's basically been in the shop since DECEMBER, so like a solid FOUR MONTHS!

And to top it off, now the A/C went berserk and only blows hot air. I just wish we could get rid of this lemon. I'm envious of the guys who don't have major problems with their LS' because it really is a nice car, when it works...

Oops. Guess not! Damn that is some long repairs.:eek:

Members online

Back