Long Road Trip

ilovemyls

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I'm going to be taking my car all around the country this summer from colorado to ohio to st louis back to ohio to north carolina then to west texas...
Any things i should do beforehand to make sure my car will drive fine on the trip with hopefully no problems?
I'm going to be changing the oil, got the wheels aligned, changed the rear diff fluid.
I've only put about 11,000 miles on it in about 2 years so since im putting about half of that on in 6 weeks i'm just a little nervous.

Have all of the cooling system components inspected (t-stat housing, degas, dccv, hoses).

They'll be under more stress than usual and if anything is a little weak it will surely take that opportunity to leak on you.

Of course, I say this because the degas and dccv are what went on me the last time I went on a long road trip.

check the belts and get a triple A membership.

Where in Ohio? To go from Ohio to NC you are going to be close to where I am when you go through WV.

tire tread is a good one to check and grab a tire plug kit before you leave, I have found it is useful and a general set of tools, ratchet, sockets so on. make sure the spare is full, check your filters.

um stuff like that and what was mentioned

All of the above and some 5 hour energy and some Metallica.

Flush the coolant and transmission fluids and enjoy the drive. My wife has put about the same amount of miles on her LS and I wouldn't hesitate to take it cross-country tomorrow.

Toledo, OH

So u will be coming into Columbus then 270 east to 77 South through WV. 77 takes you directly to NC. I am only an hour and a half from Charleston WV(main interstate interchange). If you time allows, I will gladly drive up and say hello as you pass by. Definitely keep me posted. You also going to the Nationals?

Have all of the cooling system components inspected (t-stat housing, degas, dccv, hoses).

They'll be under more stress than usual and if anything is a little weak it will surely take that opportunity to leak on you.

Of course, I say this because the degas and dccv are what went on me the last time I went on a long road trip.

Aside from the routine maintenance items this is the biggest standout to me. You definitely want to make sure you're cooling system is up to par.

Members online

No members online now.
Back