Lock Problem 98 Continental

YERBOL

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi my 98 Continental always shows that the door is unlocked when all the doors are locked. The light will turn on every time I stop while driving like at the traffic light or something. The computer shows "Door Ajar " please help if you all know what it is. THank YOu ! ! !

I have the same problem in my 97 Conti. In my case it is the driver's door. I notice that it will go away, but then return after it has rained. I'm thinking humidity is causing the door not to seal properly, and wherever the contacts are that tell the computer that the door is shut are not touching. I plan on inspecting the doorsill to find the contacts/switch and will post if I figure it out!

fsu6288 said:
I have the same problem in my 97 Conti. In my case it is the driver's door. I notice that it will go away, but then return after it has rained. I'm thinking humidity is causing the door not to seal properly, and wherever the contacts are that tell the computer that the door is shut are not touching. I plan on inspecting the doorsill to find the contacts/switch and will post if I figure it out!
the door ajar switches are sticking.this is a common problem.the switch is built into the door at the latch.the fix is to flood it with contact cleaner to get the gunk out,then lube it with silicone spray.should work like new if you do it right

aristo1963 said:
the door ajar switches are sticking.this is a common problem.the switch is built into the door at the latch.the fix is to flood it with contact cleaner to get the gunk out,then lube it with silicone spray.should work like new if you do it right

Sweetness. :dancefool

fsu6288 said:
Sweetness. :dancefool
I had the same problem with my 95 it was on all the doors for some reson
i yous a can of wd40 but for some reson it won,t tell me when the drivers door is open

YERBOL said:
Hi my 98 Continental always shows that the door is unlocked when all the doors are locked. The light will turn on every time I stop while driving like at the traffic light or something. The computer shows "Door Ajar " please help if you all know what it is. THank YOu ! ! !
Got the same exact problem on a 98 conti, I would try cleaning my door latch first very well, then it may be one of the two sensors located in any one of your doors. most likely its the one on the latch itself, both are in the door behind the panel. Tell you what though, if your display says Driver its your door, if it says Door Ajar its one of the other three.

Same Problem

aristo1963 said:

Hey Guys,

I just made another post, I guess that I didn't search enough. Sorry for being ignorant but did you take the panel off to 'flood' with the contact cleaner? Where do you find the contact cleaner? This has got to be the same problem with my other lincoln.

Thanks

Members online

Back