Living in California used to be great. SMOG issue with CAT and EVA

heyjewel

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Trying to solve the last issues which are preventing me from getting my V6 LS smogged and on the road. I fixed several DTCs weeks ago. All are green. And my scan tool says no DTCs stored or pending. Took to be smogged they said the CAT and EVA had not reported clear or something. Sure nuf on my innova 3130 there are all green baloons except for RED CAT and EVA. I've seen some insane driving cycle supposed to clear them. Ive driven several hundred miles of freeway, stop n go, local roads etc etc. Red still shows up for these.
Can anyone she some light on this insanity?

I don't know why the catalyst monitor isn't completing. You probably need to look at the fuel trims. Maybe it's time for O2s?
I think the evap monitor requires various fuel tank levels while driving and while idling.

I don't know why the catalyst monitor isn't completing. You probably need to look at the fuel trims. Maybe it's time for O2s?
I think the evap monitor requires various fuel tank levels while driving and while idling.
Fuel trims?

They don't call it kommifornia for nothing. I believe they're passing a bill to be able to tell you when you should wipe your nose. Nice climate.:)

KS

Did California just have it's hottest month ever? Some of the temps I read for San Fran make NJ feel cool.

I used to do a lot of business travel to SF (roughly 40 trips over the years). The running joke back then was how cool San Fran summers were.

There was an area along the ocean front that once had an amusement park. Some say the cool/damp ocean temps and fog helped kill the park.

Loved the Hyatt Regency Embarcadero revolving cocktail lounge, and the now closed Carnelian Room atop the Bank of America building. Stunning view of Alcatraz, Golden Gate and Bay Bridges, Oakland, Transamerica building, the fog coming in from the ocean.........

Sadly, another great view was that from The Windows on the World at the World Trade Center. It was amazing how small the Statue of Liberty looked. I was at the Windows once on Dec 7. I could barely see small planes flying around the Statue. I was told they were dropping rose petals.

Views from the old Chicago Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower) were also stunning, especially as the sun set.

Business travel had its perks.

So today I was taking the car to mechanic to replace the AC compressor and drier cause compressor was leaking pretty bad. I could have done the job myself if I had good knees but theyre still healing. on the way the CE light comes on. :( I scan it and find a P0442, Evap issue. EVA light on scanner now green, I guess cause this system has reported back. Seems like yellow would be a better choice. But CAT still red. So I was hoping these two woul not cause me further headaches but no such luck. Gotta now learn about P0442. At least the AC is cold again.

I'm sorry. Small leaks can be a big pain to track down.

Ugh - just went through this with my '02 V8. Smoke test didn't show the leak. Car had to be (I think) pressure tested, and the leak showed up at the fuel tank. I had erroneously reported a P0422 code - it was actually the same P0442 you have.

Ugh - just went through this with my '02 V8. Smoke test didn't show the leak. Car had to be (I think) pressure tested, and the leak showed up at the fuel tank. I had erroneously reported a P0422 code - it was actually the same P0442 you have.

Yeah when I was rebuilding the car I lowered the fuel tank to replace the fuel lines that run across the top of the tank. I dont know what I might have done there wrt this issue. Only thing I can think of is the fill hose clamp may not be tight? Of course I had touched most everything including pulling engine and trans so problem could be anywhere. Had anything been recently done to your car before the P0442 showed up? Thanks

Yeah when I was rebuilding the car I lowered the fuel tank to replace the fuel lines that run across the top of the tank.

-snip-

Had anything been recently done to your car before the P0442 showed up? Thanks

No. Not even an oil change. Now, I did get a P0456 first and my OBDII reader showed that code active and a P0442 pending. We reset the light and it went fine for about a tank of fuel, then the P0442 showed up as active. I fully expected an Evap vent issue, not the fuel tank one the dealer found.

If you had dropped the tank already, I would think you would have seen if degradation at the lines was a problem. I'm hoping yours is just a line that needs to be resnugged (and that you can get to it removing the rear seats rather than dropping the tank again). Apparently it was pretty apparent on my LS's fuel tank.

Members online

No members online now.
Back