Little Help Please

cammerfe

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I experienced something new yesterday.

Background---
Those of you who've followed 'Land Speed LS' in the HP section will know that I've had an ongoing battle with alternators. I'm now on my fourth, and some time ago I installed an Autometer voltmeter to monitor what's going on. I hadn't driven the car for several days, and when I tried to start it yesterday afternoon, the battery (Optima Red) was far too low to run the starter. (I've had no trouble for over a year. The volt meter shows a consistent 14.5 or so. )

I put it on the charger for half an hour, after which it started and I went about my business, which entailed driving for about 45 minutes on the E-way. As I was following the two-lane at the far end of the trip, I noticed that I was hearing a 'beep' signal from the dash area. Not loud---and a pattern of five beeps, a pause of perhaps ten seconds, and then another set of beeps.

When I got back in the car an hour later, the signaling was absent. However, at the return end of the E-way trip, I was again treated to a few minutes of the beeping.

There is no other sign of any difficulty, and everything seems to be functioning normally. The test sequence, by pushing the button in the dash doesn't indicate any problem with lights, etc.

Other than the sequence of discharged battery and beeping, I have no indication that the two are related. And this is assuredly not the first time that I've had the charging problem.

The search function, above, doesn't seem to shed any light. This is NOT five sets of five beeps---it's indeterminately ongoing.

Any thoughts??

KS

Update---
Yesterday when I went out, about a block from the house, I got two sets of five beeps with about twenty seconds between. Again I drove for about a half hour on the E-way. On the way home an hour later, just after I exited the E-way, I got three more sets of beeps with about ten seconds between. ????? (Suggestions solicited!)

KS

All that comes to mind is some sort of intermittent fault between the SRS controller and the cluster that clears up before the second set of five beeps starts each time and then happens again in 20 or 30 seconds. I think that is a long shot.
I am assuming that your SRS light does work each time you start the car.

Members online

No members online now.
Back