Lincoln Towncar Vs. Cadillac Deville 4.9 Vs Buick Park Avenue

Robertgermany

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Im Need Some Help :)
I think All Three Cars Are Very cool.
But Which are ist he most Trubelfree car?
Which Car is easiest to repair ?
And Wich is the best in fuel economy ?

I got a Offer for a 1992 Buck PA.
Thanks for help
Robert From Germany

More Infomation

1) 1992 Buick Park Avenue V6 3800
2) 1996/7 Lincoln Towncar V8 4.6
3)1994 Cadillac Deville With the V8 4.9 ( Not N* )

Go for the Town Car! Easy to maintain, easy to work on. Built like a tank. You might have to sort out some repairs to the rear air suspension system at some point, but if you don't care to do that and it fails, you can rip it out and stick in plain old coil springs. The only other thing is the windows on these cars are touchy. Not hard to repair, though. Usually it's just the little bushings in the window motors that wear out. You can swap in new ones for cheap and you're good to go.

The Park Avenue is for sure a nice car, but it's a V6. Even though the 3.8L is a powerful engine, I've always felt it was a bit under powered for a car that size. They sure are nice to drive and have great interiors, though.

I like the Deville as well, and with it NOT being a NorthStar you're sure to save a lot of headaches. I've never in my life heard a good thing said about the NS engine. Never. I know guys that have had them and no matter how well maintained, they die - the engines, not the guys. The regular 4.9 however, tends to have a good reputation as far as I know and is dependable.

The only downside with the Cadillac for me would be that it's a GM product like the Buick. In my experience they tend to be problematic with silly sensor issues as they age. Both the Buick and Cadillac are FWD too, and I like RWD cars better.

A Town Car will (in the long run) be the cheapest to maintain, be the most reliable, and (depending on your driving) give you the best fuel economy. These can go 300,000+ miles before needing anything major, as long as maintenance is kept up. 1996 is a better year, as they weren't "cheapened" slightly to make way for the new 1998 models. If the intake is all plastic (peek behind the alternator, if it's aluminum, you're good to go. If it's black plastic, budget for a replacement. If you can do the work yourself, figure on $250-300. If a shop will be doing it, $700 is a good ballpark figure. These usually average mid-upper 20's on the highway, around 18-20 in town.

The Cadillacs of that era aren't as reliable, get low 20's on the highway, and do cost more to keep up. If you are going for a Caddy, I'd recommend the 1990-1992 Brougham (d'Elegance would be a bonus). Tried and true 350 (or 305) 700R4 transmission, very well built car that will last a long time. Typical early 90's GM issues, but nothing hard to sort out. If you go with a '94-'96 Brougham, you'll have the LT1, which is a very good engine, but the 4L60E, which can prove to be a problematic transmission. Just set aside some money for a good rebuild (or reman) when the time comes. Usually get to 130-140K before they grenade. Some last less, however. My truck is on 4L60E #3, at 134K. Trans. #2 lasted 17K, and it was a reman, by a very well known company.

Park Avenues are pretty decent, the 3.8L is a good engine, but I've known several people who have had engine or transmission failures in them around 100-140K. Parts are plentiful, but being FWD, access could be better.

A Town Car will (in the long run) be the cheapest to maintain, be the most reliable, and (depending on your driving) give you the best fuel economy. These can go 300,000+ miles before needing anything major, as long as maintenance is kept up. 1996 is a better year, as they weren't "cheapened" slightly to make way for the new 1998 models. If the intake is all plastic (peek behind the alternator, if it's aluminum, you're good to go. If it's black plastic, budget for a replacement. If you can do the work yourself, figure on $250-300. If a shop will be doing it, $700 is a good ballpark figure. These usually average mid-upper 20's on the highway, around 18-20 in town.

The Cadillacs of that era aren't as reliable, get low 20's on the highway, and do cost more to keep up. If you are going for a Caddy, I'd recommend the 1990-1992 Brougham (d'Elegance would be a bonus). Tried and true 350 (or 305) 700R4 transmission, very well built car that will last a long time. Typical early 90's GM issues, but nothing hard to sort out. If you go with a '94-'96 Brougham, you'll have the LT1, which is a very good engine, but the 4L60E, which can prove to be a problematic transmission. Just set aside some money for a good rebuild (or reman) when the time comes. Usually get to 130-140K before they grenade. Some last less, however. My truck is on 4L60E #3, at 134K. Trans. #2 lasted 17K, and it was a reman, by a very well known company.

Park Avenues are pretty decent, the 3.8L is a good engine, but I've known several people who have had engine or transmission failures in them around 100-140K. Parts are plentiful, but being FWD, access could be better.

Thank you Verry much
It was Realy Helpfull for me
Im Now Looking for a good Shop
In Hamburg

Members online

Back