Lincoln Towncar Overheating

582Boat

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Have a 1990 Towncar, 80000 miles, over heats when I turn on the A/C . Have replaced cluch fan, thermastat, flushed radiator, new coolant 50/50, new radiator cap. Without A/C on, does not overheat. Heats up mostly in temperature such as Florida. A/C coolant has been check and has the proper pressure. Help Ken

Your radiator is bad and needs to be replaced or your water pump is going. Worst case is you have a blown head gasket.
1) Do a pressure check on the radiator, that should help to tell its condition and the condition of the hoses
2) Check for water stains around and under the water pump where the seep hole is, that will tell you if the water pump is going
3) If you have steam coming out of the exhaust, you most likely have a head gasket problem

T/C Overheating

white lincoln said:
Your radiator is bad and needs to be replaced or your water pump is going. Worst case is you have a blown head gasket.
1) Do a pressure check on the radiator, that should help to tell its condition and the condition of the hoses
2) Check for water stains around and under the water pump where the seep hole is, that will tell you if the water pump is going
3) If you have steam coming out of the exhaust, you most likely have a head gasket problem

Took the old radiator out and replaced with a new one, there is no water stain around the seep hole of the water pump, hoses are good and no steam out of the exhaust, Drove for several miles and of course in Michigan I have no problem, just in the heat of Florida, so when I go back will be the big test.\
Question, how do I hook up a digital temperature gauge to the 1990 Lin T/C in order to check the exact temperature I am running.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.
Back