Lincoln Q's from a Caddy guy!

germeezy1

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey I am a Caddy guy but I always wonder if the S type and LS are both DEW98 platform cars and the engines are very similar why has no one ever took the supercharged 4.2 and 6 speed auto out of a S type R and bolted it into a LS? Also I would think the 4.0 S/C out of a wrecked XJR or XKR would bolt right to the auto in a LS. I have seen the Mclaren cars and heard they were offering a 6 speed conversion and pushing out 350 hp but that is alot of freaking money and I would rather have a factory proven combo. I would buy one if it could be done it would be the sleeper of the century! And for you 3.0 V-6 5 speed guys Noble is getting almost 400 hp out of twin turbo 3.0L Duratec V-6's! :confused: :feed

They are the same platform but the subframes may be different.
Wouldnt those jaguar engines are probably still really expensive to come across?

Maybe in a couple of years the market for LS hot rodding will pickup. They're still pretty new and you've got warranty issues with them as it sits now. If you had the money to buy an LS and throw in a S-Type R drivetrain, you'd probably have the dough for the S-Type R...

Kale

That probably will neaver catch on to any serious degree. As jaguar componets are going to be more expensive new or old than would make the conversion process worth it. Its not going to be like somebody with a vic dropping a marauder engine in, or a mustang setup of the 4.6 to replace a worn out engine or eng/trans. The jag and ls both being luxary/sports makes the cost too high for most people to want to mess around. As usually swaps like that aren't made on luxary cars, plus the electronics as well are going to be pricy if you wanted to use the setup from the jag donor. As well as the engine you speak of is from the higher end jag which would be even rarer espically junked.

I guess I was just wondering but the XKR/XJR motor has been out since 98 so their has got to be some wrecked cars especially with the popularity of those cars and you would think with 370 hp someone would wreck one from time to time! I guess if you had a connection you could get an S type R drivetrain I know their is some idiots who have wrecked their cars already. Another thing I just read is that Jaguar shipped a depowered motor for the LS. I think the Variable intake cam timing and the heads are the only difference between the 252 hp LS V-8 and the 290 Hp Jag V-8. The S/C 4.0 does not have VCT though so the heads and supercharger should bolt on.

germeezy1 said:
I guess I was just wondering but the XKR/XJR motor has been out since 98 so their has got to be some wrecked cars especially with the popularity of those cars and you would think with 370 hp someone would wreck one from time to time! I guess if you had a connection you could get an S type R drivetrain I know their is some idiots who have wrecked their cars already. Another thing I just read is that Jaguar shipped a depowered motor for the LS. I think the Variable intake cam timing and the heads are the only difference between the 252 hp LS V-8 and the 290 Hp Jag V-8. The S/C 4.0 does not have VCT though so the heads and supercharger should bolt on.

The PCM's are not compatible. The computers in the S-Type and LS use a different protocal. The only things common to the LS and Jag motors is the basic block. It would be much less expensive to just purchase the Jag.

The differences may sound simple but figure in parts and labor and like said the computers language/program is completely different. Helps discourage swaps which would keep people from easily turning their 39k car into their 60k one for example.

There is a guy Doing an Stype R.

germeezy1 said:
Hey I am a Caddy guy but I always wonder if the S type and LS are both DEW98 platform cars and the engines are very similar why has no one ever took the supercharged 4.2 and 6 speed auto out of a S type R and bolted it into a LS? Also I would think the 4.0 S/C out of a wrecked XJR or XKR would bolt right to the auto in a LS. I have seen the Mclaren cars and heard they were offering a 6 speed conversion and pushing out 350 hp but that is alot of freaking money and I would rather have a factory proven combo. I would buy one if it could be done it would be the sleeper of the century! And for you 3.0 V-6 5 speed guys Noble is getting almost 400 hp out of twin turbo 3.0L Duratec V-6's! :confused: :feed

Yes the S Type and LS are Dew98. (the new Mustang is as well, a version called DEW lite)

McLaren gave up the ghost could not get dealer support.

There is a guy with a junked StypeR engine who is putting it in an LS. It is the same 3.9. Problem is with wiring, computers, etc. He will probably have to use the engine and tranny and computers. Will all of this connect to his dash etc. ?

May work but could be ugly... I hope he does it though. :L

Last edited:
The S type R has the long stroke 4.2 version of the AJ V-8 S/C. I guess I thought if you went the route ford did and put the whole engine/tranny combo from an XKR/XJR in their maybe that would be easier. But then again if they can bolt a 4.6 in their I would rather have a Ford Mod motor than the Jag motor alot more aftermarket for that engine.

germeezy1 said:
The S type R has the long stroke 4.2 version of the AJ V-8 S/C. I guess I thought if you went the route ford did and put the whole engine/tranny combo from an XKR/XJR in their maybe that would be easier. But then again if they can bolt a 4.6 in their I would rather have a Ford Mod motor than the Jag motor alot more aftermarket for that engine.

The 4.6 will fit. Just look at the OLOA LS. But cooling seems to be an issue with that one.

I would rather see a 5 or 6 speed manual on the V8 first.

purelux said:
The differences may sound simple but figure in parts and labor and like said the computers language/program is completely different. Helps discourage swaps which would keep people from easily turning their 39k car into their 60k one for example.

Yes but I think the LS has the better exterior and could easily be a 60k car if lincoln pushed it more towards that market with some upgrades.
Lincoln exterior + Jag interior + Cobra power = perfect car for me

Silver02Sport said:
Sign me up I want one too.

What is really sad is they built that car (all except the Jag interior). But Lincoln couldn't figure out how to make it work right or put it into production so that ended that experiment. What should piss us all off is they junked the idea without so much as walking across the hall to SVT and ask for their help. This is the division that solves these kinds of problems every single day and is their forte. Yet Lincoln's egos wouldn't allow that.

By the way...this was all stated by the head of SVT who recently retired. They really wanted a crack at that car.

2001LS8Sport said:
What is really sad is they built that car (all except the Jag interior). But Lincoln couldn't figure out how to make it work right or put it into production so that ended that experiment. What should piss us all off is they junked the idea without so much as walking across the hall to SVT and ask for their help. This is the division that solves these kinds of problems every single day and is their forte. Yet Lincoln's egos wouldn't allow that.

By the way...this was all stated by the head of SVT who recently retired. They really wanted a crack at that car.

Egos? Well I wouldn't have to much of an ego if all I could do is figure out how to put V-6's and small V-8's (I know the 4.6 isn't big but it prolly has a better performance potential) into cars. Who do we complain too, to get Lincoln to make cars we would enjoy even more?

Kelleyo said:
Yes the S Type and LS are Dew98. (the new Mustang is as well, a version called DEW lite)
The new Mustang is on its own platform. IIRC, it was going to be on a shortened DEW-98 platform, but all they wound up using was a part of the floorpan.

2001LS8Sport said:
What is really sad is they built that car (all except the Jag interior). But Lincoln couldn't figure out how to make it work right or put it into production so that ended that experiment.
What killed the use of the 4.6 in the LS was the production line, not just the engineering. The 4.6 was too wide for the engine bay, and couldn't be loaded from the bottom (as most drivelines are). If they could've overcome that hurdle, then it's a safe bet that they'd've overcome the engine controls hurdle, too.

And for you 3.0 V-6 5 speed guys Noble is getting almost 400 hp out of twin turbo 3.0L Duratec V-6's! :confused: :feed

Almost? They made 425HP in M400 form and tuned to 450HP when they come stateside. I've seen this engine do 970HP on a dyno. Doesn't mean it's reliable or streetable though. The v6 arguably has more aftermarket then the v8 and is probably a better platform to make serious HP with. The question is if the transmission can handle it...

please see "land speed LS" in the HP section

just had to get it in before he did.lol

Almost? They made 425HP in M400 form and tuned to 450HP when they come stateside. I've seen this engine do 970HP on a dyno. Doesn't mean it's reliable or streetable though. The v6 arguably has more aftermarket then the v8 and is probably a better platform to make serious HP with. The question is if the transmission can handle it...

It was almost 400 hp when I posted that how many years ago....:)

Members online

No members online now.
Back