Lincoln Mark VII ABS pump

GuitarOtoko88

New LVC Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you guys know about the ABS in the 1988 Mark VII series. The brake motor pump in my car keeps running until the battery's drained. if any of you can give me suggestions or tips on how to fix it.

well the accumulator is allready replaced with a new one, and the brake fluid has been flushed. still has that problem though

GuitarOtoko88 said:
well the accumulator is allready replaced with a new one, and the brake fluid has been flushed. still has that problem though

Just a little more information please.
Do both (yellow and red) of your brake warning lights work?
Was the new accumulator from Ford and never used before?
Describe "when" the pump runs. As soon as you connect the battery? Whenever you step on the brake pedal? After you turn off the car?

Our brake systems are like the largest part of our shop manuals so the diagnostic isn't really binary.

mine looks like its leaking from under the master cylinder, im not sure where exactly but for a few months ive just been refilling it once a month or so hasnt given me much problems but i just wanna get it fixed. not sure weather to get new master cylinder or replace some washers or something.

It could possibly be the relay. Allot of times you can take those old relays apart and clean the points and get them to work again. My bet is that the points are stuck.

My vote is the pressure switch.

Mark VII ABS.jpg

I just got the same problem too. Mine started leaking, big time, when it was parked but only sometimes. I went thru 6 cans of prake parts cleaner spraying dow that whole area of the engine compartment (in, over, around and under the ABS parts) Mine turned out to be leaking form the pressure switch. I an going to try a new o-ring butit may be an internal leak that allows it to go out these holes and up/out the threads. It makes the job of removal easier if you pull the reservoir off the master. the switch takes a 1 3/8" wrench or a crescent wrench that will go that big. Make sure you bleed off all the pressure before you take the switch out! A new switch (E7SZ2C244A, from ford is still available & will run you $175+. the o-ring itself is obsolete from ford.

IMG_3527.gif

IMG_3529.gif

I would recommend first finding the ABS pressure pump relay
and give it a whack if pump stays running key-off. If it releases
& quits, replace the relay. We've had that go bad before on ours.
If it lets the pump run flat-out you will have an overpressure
that makes it harder for seals to hold, etc.

Same Problem

mine looks like its leaking from under the master cylinder, im not sure where exactly but for a few months ive just been refilling it once a month or so hasnt given me much problems but i just wanna get it fixed. not sure weather to get new master cylinder or replace some washers or something.

Hi. Had the exact same problem in my '87 Blass:mad: . Had in "intermittent" leak, would park car and come back to find a big puddle of DOT 3 on the ground. Would top it off and it might be fine (full) for 2 weeks and then, BAM!:eek: it would blow it's load again. Put the car up on the hoist and traced the leak to the union between the pump and the pump motor. Bought a complete used master assembly and swapped out the pump/motor/accumulator as a unit:wrench leaving the balance of my original master intact (no leaks there). Problem solved. Guessing there was an internal leak in the pump itself. The gasket in there didn't look too bad but there was some corrosion (pitting) in the vicinity of the mating surfaces. P.S. I removed the motor from the pump on the new (used) unit and used compressed air to blow all kinds of crap from inside the pump, cleaned up the mating surfaces and reinstalled the original gasket (it was fine);) . Brake performance is like new again and master is bone dry (on the outside) as it should be. Hope this helps!:L

I was wondering if any of you guys know about the ABS in the 1988 Mark VII series. The brake motor pump in my car keeps running until the battery's drained. if any of you can give me suggestions or tips on how to fix it.

I had this same problem for the first time 500 miles from home about 3 months ago.. then it disappeared but returned week before last.

jimmyblue had my answer:
I would recommend first finding the ABS pressure pump relay
and give it a whack

The relay (along with another nearly identical one) on this 88 MVII LSC is in a plastic box on the firewall just above the master cylinder. A whack stopped the pump motor. I disassembled and examined the relay.
Points were fried.. melted in a way that allowed the points to snap-lock together..
Replaced it with a lower milage junkyard part. Parts at Lincoln couldn't find it in their books, nor could the local autoparts store.
------

Having the urge to fix a few long suffering car problems, I've been hanging around here for about a week and have gleaned so much information from this place.. it's priceless. Air suspension, brakes, door lock, struts, and a few other annoying things have finally been fixed thanks in large part to the info in these forums. I feel obligated to return the favors.

Here's an insignificant hint i can share. I'm now cleaning, repairing and generally detailing the interior a little.

Armorall (or some silicone product) was applied by a previous owner and has attracted and built up a thick greasy sticky dirty coating on the vinyl inner door panels. Nothing would take it off. Go ahead and name something.. 409? Fantastic? Acetone? gasoline? Rubbing alcohol? Soaps? Detergents? Kerosene? turpentine? Hand cleaner? Goof-Off <-- i was afraid to even try that one .. anyway, you get the idea.

Someone pointed me to denatured alcohol. It works at disolving silicone but is slow and requires much effort, and it won't remove the last traces of gummy stuff.

3M makes an "Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover" .. blue/white can and blue top. It also claims to remove silicone and tree sap, etc.
Very powerful stuff (contains xylene among other things). It works fast and easy and did nothing at all to the vinyl or it's color.
Top coated with Turtle Wax F21 Protectant (water based stuff for plastic, rubber, vinyl) and i've got "new" door panels.. finally.
Thanks again to all you contributors..

3M makes an "Adhesive, Tar and Wax Remover" .. blue/white can and blue top. It also claims to remove silicone and tree sap, etc.
Very powerful stuff (contains xylene among other things). It works fast and easy and did nothing at all to the vinyl or it's color.
VERY good tip.

Thanks for sharing it with us!

Members online

No members online now.
Back