Lincoln LS

chronicblunt

LVC Member
Reaction score
why is it that nobody knows about the ls? i hadnt even heard of one before i happened to stumble across it at the dealership. everyone who asks what kind of car i have has no idea what an LS is. especiialy for how great it looks..it has the best body styling.. You would think more people would know this car. maybe thats whats so great about it...yuo dont see one on every corner.

Well, the first argument is advertising from Lincoln. If you don't advertise the damn car who knows about it. This was the biggest complaint about 2 years ago. Just ask yourself, have I seen a Lincoln LS commercial on TV lately? I bet the answer is no. Out of sight, out of mind!

I went to a big car show last year and I pulled up and the registration guy said, "Is this a Mitsubishi?". I about jumped out of the car and kicked his butt! Just tonight I went to a local hang out where folks get together with all types of cars. I get stares like..."what kind of car is that?" Once they get up to it then they say, "oh it's a Lincoln."

From what I've heard the 2006 LS will be the last year. They are only offering it in one trim level and it's the LSE. My guess is you won't see a replacement for the LS in 2007.

Typical Lincoln. Sales have declined quite a bit over the past couple of years and that can be attributed to no advertising. If they want to bury a brand they don't advertise. You see plenty of Navigator and Aviator commercials and advertisement. Lincoln makes more on the Navi and Aviator so they'll push those and watch the LS suck hind tit!

This may be my last Lincoln if they don't come out with an LS replacement in 2007. I'll probably end up buying a German car.

chronicblunt said:
so then why dont they just advertize more.....everyone i know LOVES my car and the price isnt bad either.
Because they don't make any money on the LS. It's a great car (when it works), but it's also extremely expensive to build. With the prices they're selling at now, I'm surprised they're making them at all for '06.

FWIW, the LS is "featured" in one of the new Ford Family Plan commercials, touting its 5-star rating from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS).

Dunno how this snuck by the censors at Lincoln... :waving: :confused:

Honestly, I just write it off to the general marketing incompetence that has plagued Ford for the last 15 or so years; they haven't had a clue as to how to market anything that's not a Mustang, SUV, or pickup. They could stand to take a lesson from Jaguar and Mazda; at least they have interesting ad campaigns.

stateproperty3423 said:
and ford owns both those companys

Thats what I was think when I was reading the post

so then whats the deal? they have the same people doing advertising for jag and mazda as lincolns and mazda gets all the zoom zoom $hit. i wanna see a LS vrooooooomm vrooooooooommm commercial!

me personally i like the fact that hardly anyone knows about the ls. its nice not seeing one every 1/4 mile like BMWs. i also like when people ask and i tell em i drive a lincoln they think its an "old mans" car, but when they see it the immeditally fall in love with it. just my 2 cents

i think its 50/50 . its nice not seeing them very often, but with noone knowing about them means less people buy them so they'll stop making them. and if more people knew about them there would be a bigger need for aftermarket parts.

The LS is pretty common here in Knoxville, however, I stopped the ice cream truck today (doing oil changes and was hot) and the lady driving looked at my driveway and asked, "Is that one of those new Lincolns? It is very sharp." That's the thing with Lincoln. People just call Lincolns, "Lincolns". It is not like a Mustang, Thunderbird or Magnum. You try to tell them it is an LS, and it sounds more like an option package than a name. I'll bet she forgot the name of the car already.

lsbit said:
The LS is pretty common here in Knoxville, however, I stopped the ice cream truck today (doing oil changes and was hot) and the lady driving looked at my driveway and asked, "Is that one of those new Lincolns? It is very sharp." That's the thing with Lincoln. People just call Lincolns, "Lincolns". It is not like a Mustang, Thunderbird or Magnum. You try to tell them it is an LS, and it sounds more like an option package than a name. I'll bet she forgot the name of the car already.

I think that's good. Kinda like people jusy say "that's a mercedes" Or "that's a BMW".
Lincoln just stands for class.

itsnotmydaddys said:
me personally i like the fact that hardly anyone knows about the ls. its nice not seeing one every 1/4 mile like BMWs. i also like when people ask and i tell em i drive a lincoln they think its an "old mans" car, but when they see it the immeditally fall in love with it. just my 2 cents

I agree completely. I like to stand out from the crowd and be original. When I first bought my car everyone was wondering where I heard of this car. I was thinking well they have been out for 5 yrs now.

And yes, I do refer to my car as a "Lincoln" not an LS, only when they ask, then I say o it's an LS.

There are a couple of things going on. Lincoln relies mostly on brand loyalty hence the reason for limited advertising. The last time they had an ultra cool advertising campaign was for the Mark VIII. Remember the one when the Mark pulls up to a steel bar and was to high to tall to go under. The guy bacsk up, speeds off and the car lowers itself and goes under! I thought that was cool. When the LS first came out there was "some advertising. Lincoln was going after a younger crowd. Now with the LS on the way out why advertise it? If you look at all the big automakers they all advertise there best sellers. Cars that sell themselves but it brings people into the showroom and a certain % will buy something else.. I went to the dealer looking for a Navigator and came out with an LS! Given I already knew all about it though.

ovsims said:
Thats what I was think when I was reading the post
That's what I was thinking when I posted about the Jag and Mazda ad campaigns. Subtlety is a lost art, I guess. Or maybe it's irony that's lost. ;)

Or am I the only one who finds it ironic that Ford has two subsidiaries that can come up with decent ad campaigns, but they can't find one for one of their oldest main-line brands?

Edsel Ford must be doing about 7200rpm about now...

I agree with all the comments here in regards to the LS not being a well recognized vehicle. Ford management not only has a horrible record in marketing their vehicles they also over price many of them as well. When the LS came out Ford thought that just the idea of developing a car that was "out of the box" for the marque would be enough to bring in a younger customer. Well they were wrong. Lincoln has an image of being an older persons car, a stogy plaid image that took over 50 years to attain. One car, especially if it is not marketed correctly or advertised enough is not going to get younger people to consider a Lincoln if you do not keep reminding them that Lincoln has a car in the BMW 3-series, Mercedes C-class, Acura TL, and Lexus GS that can actually compete yet be thousands of dollars less. The LS was a great opportunity to do that and Ford missed that "big time" I have a feeling that they will again miss that with the Zephyr. THe Zephyr design is not that radical for it to stand out on its own without a sufficient advertising campaign. However, I believe that even if Ford advertised more, it will be hindered by its weak performance numbers and it not being a driver oriented car, a theme that targets a younger buyer. The LS will go down as one of the most underrated cars because it did have the chassis and respectable performance numbers to compete but it was never advertised.

Dead President said:
And yes, I do refer to my car as a "Lincoln" not an LS, only when they ask, then I say o it's an LS.

Funny thing...I have been calling it "My Lincoln" also. Part of that is that " L S " doesn't quite flow off the tongue nicely to me.

Members online

Back