Lincoln LS won't start....

deandals

LVC Member
Reaction score
Could anyone help me with this problem? Got in my LS the other day and started it in the garage, sounded like it was going to start as usual, then it kinda studdered. So I tried turning it over again and the starter sounded different but wouldn't start. I could hear some exhaust coming out the exhaust and had my GF start it while I put my hand over the exhaust tail pipe. So the starter is working, turning the car over but not firing. I have replaced all 8 coil packs and the car has been running really well lately. Could it be computer problems, ignition?? Any help would be awesome.

When i start it, it doesnt' sound like it normally does, not bad just kinda smoother. The starter is engaging, i can smell fuel in the exhaust from turning it over, not firing though.
Just talked with my mechanic and he said it could possibly be a timing issue. Like the timing belts?? If so, thats going to be a big mess!

When i start it, it doesnt' sound like it normally does, not bad just kinda smoother. The starter is engaging, i can smell fuel in the exhaust from turning it over, not firing though.
Just talked with my mechanic and he said it could possibly be a timing issue. Like the timing belts?? If so, thats going to be a big mess!

Yeah, I was kind of thinking that when you said it sounded different. It's timing chains, not belts. It could be time to look for another engine or car.

Car is paid off and in excellent condition. I have someone that is willing to fix it but not sure how much that is going to cost.

it's going to be about $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I'd say an easy 20 hours x whatever labor is. My mechanic charges 65/hr. Dealerships are in the 90 range IIRC.

But I like to fix all my own stuff. I only take it in if it's something that needs to be calibrated (like the steering angle sensor).

I just pulled a coil pack and left the plug in it, its getting spark but not a very big one but there is spark. My mechanic said that if there is spark its the timing chains. If there is no spark, its computer or ignition problems.

I just pulled a coil pack and left the plug in it, its getting spark but not a very big one but there is spark. My mechanic said that if there is spark its the timing chains. If there is no spark, its computer or ignition problems.

Basically, you need four things for an IC engine to work.
Fuel
Ignition
Air
Compression.

We know we have air, and have good reason to believe that there is fuel and ignition, so that leaves compression. If one of the chains is broken, then there won't be compression. You won't know for certain until you take the valve covers off and take a look.

Just replacing the chains is expensive enough. I think that the exhaust valves won't hit, but the intake ones can. Depending on which chain broke and where the cam was at that time, you may have piston and valve damage too. If your not doing the work yourself, it is almost certain to be cheaper to put a working used engine in instead. You should also consider this against the cost of replacing the whole car.

BTW: Pet Peeve - They are not coil packs, they are coils, aka COP (Coil On Plug). Coil packs are multiple coils in one assembly.

Im going to go ahead and have my mechanic look at replacing the timing chains. Don't really see the point of getting a whole new engine, spending XXXX amount of money on a used engine and paying for install. Thanks to all that gave me advice on my LS problems. If I decide to do something with it I will either part it out for sell the whole car, its been a great car (with the notorious LS problems) and is in real good condition. Thanks again!

I'm now in the same boat... same exact symptoms. I'd drive that thing into a ditch but it won't even start. LOL. Did you find a resolution to the issue?

Im going to go ahead and have my mechanic look at replacing the timing chains. Don't really see the point of getting a whole new engine, spending XXXX amount of money on a used engine and paying for install. Thanks to all that gave me advice on my LS problems.

If you decide to fix the motor, make sure you replace everything behind the timing cover. All the chains, guides, tensioners, and gaskets. I have heard of people just replacing what was broke and then 6 months later something else broke and they were back at square one. Oh and if your mechanic has to pull the heads to check the valves and tells you that he has to pull the motor to do so call him out on his bull:q:q:q:q. I pulled mine with the motor in and it didn't take too long. Hardest part to me was making sure the timing was set correctly. You also need 2 special tools to set the timing. Good Luck and keep us posted.

Members online

Back