Lincoln ls v6 5 speed ignition coil replacement

jeff

LVC Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

have a dead coil on the bank of cylinders where you have to remove the intake manifold. V-6 engine. I'm a little nervous in removing the intake manifold. How difficult a job is it to do?? How long does it normally take?? Should i also replace manifold gasket while i am in there. I have moderate mechanical aptitude. Any help and step by step instructions to remove manifold would be greatly appreciated

thanks

jeff

From one newb to another, and because I'm a nice guy non like the Vets on this site. :D I recently asked an Old Balls member on here for this same info becuase I'm going to do plugs on my car soon. The intake gasket can be re-used if it isn't cracking or anything. Might be a good idea to replace it anyways though while you have it all apart. Also, it's always a good idea to replace the plug that the coil is on your doing as well. This is from the tech section of this site. Good luck! http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/Lincoln-LS/IntakeManifoldV6/

lol before we link him to every link...

in the future, if you have any tech questions, click on "tech articles" above and see if you find anything useful

I think I am that old balls member referred to above... :D

My theory is this: get three coils and replace all three under the intake, while also changing the plugs. Throw in a new PCV and rubber elbow and be done with that area for a few years. And yeah, if you are patient, clean the old gaskets to perfection and re-use them on the first time through. Also, be prepared to break a bolt or three or four on the stabilizer support that runs across the shock towers and firewall. Put that good mechanical aptitude to work and drill out and re-tap the holes where the bolts broke on that brace. If you buy gaskets, there are an upper and lower set for the V6 intake.

It may also make sense to change at least your passenger side valve cover gasket while you are in there. If there is any sign of oil in the spark plugs area, change the gasket while you have the intake off. You can spend up to 5 hours in this job, or as little as 2, depending on how slow, clean, and careful you are. I am planning a 6 hour block when i do mine next week, but i don't care if i take too long. There is too much at stake with a valve cover off to rush. Taking off a valve cover puts dirt way too close to the cams and valve train.

open_valve_cover.jpg

open_valve_cover.jpg

Glad to hear.. ;) I try..

And the worse thing about it is that I am a Yooper.. So when a person says THREE, it sounds like TREE.. lol Or THIRD and TIRD..

It's easy. Hardest part is removing the vacuum lines and electrical connector from behind the manifold that controls the EGR. I did break a support bolt the last time I did mine like other have. I've had mine intake several times and only takes me about an hour and a half, though it will probably take you 3-5 hours your first time especially if you replace the valve cover gaskets and PCV elbo.

Members online

No members online now.
Back