Lincoln LS Suspension Part numbers

whatsupadrian

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Hello
Well its time to replace my suspension parts. Im getting some clunks going over bumps and the tire shop wouldnt align my car due to bad balljoints. Car has about 130,000 miles. 2001 Lincoln LS v8. They also gave me a $2600+ quote to replace the suspension parts at Sears. I have no problem replacing the parts myself. At first I wanted to just buy this ebay kit from DP http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-LS-...:LS&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c1817c31c#ht_3192wt_754
But I did some reading on the forum and saw that people were replacing their DP ball joints after 6 mo and that is just unacceptable. However people do give Moog its praises. So I have decided to piece all the parts I need together instead of the ebay kit. Problem is I am having a rather difficault time finding the part numbers to the various bushings and the upper ball joints(or is it only the lower ball joints that can be pressed in) Could someone shine some light on the bushing part numbers and links, preferably want to order from rockauto.com.
Thanks for the help.

Hello
Well its time to replace my suspension parts. Im getting some clunks going over bumps and the tire shop wouldnt align my car due to bad balljoints. Car has about 130,000 miles. 2001 Lincoln LS v8. They also gave me a $2600+ quote to replace the suspension parts at Sears. I have no problem replacing the parts myself. At first I wanted to just buy this ebay kit from DP http://www.ebay.com/itm/LINCOLN-LS-...:LS&vxp=mtr&hash=item1c1817c31c#ht_3192wt_754
But I did some reading on the forum and saw that people were replacing their DP ball joints after 6 mo and that is just unacceptable. However people do give Moog its praises. So I have decided to piece all the parts I need together instead of the ebay kit. Problem is I am having a rather difficault time finding the part numbers to the various bushings and the upper ball joints(or is it only the lower ball joints that can be pressed in) Could someone shine some light on the bushing part numbers and links, preferably want to order from rockauto.com.
Thanks for the help.

see if these work

(Ford Part No., Description, Price)

6W4Z3078AA, Arm Assy (Lower), $470.70
6W4Z3079AA, Arm Assy (Lower), $470.70
Four Wheel Alignment (This is needed since removing the control arms, removes your alignment), $112.33
Specialty Products Company Part No. 87545, Caster/Camber Alignment Bolts, (Needed in order to do the alignment correctly and/or easily), $100.69 set.

Parts replaced while I was in there:

6W4Z3084AA, Arm Assy (Upper), $143.90 (This has Jaguar casted right onto the part)
6W4Z3085AA, Arm Assy (Upper), $143.92 (This has Jaguar casted right onto the part)
5W4Z5K483AA, Sway Bar End Link, $38.48 ea.
W520213S440, Sway Bar End Link Nut, $3.50 ea. (Qty. 4)
N807144S441, Upper Ball Joint Nut, $4.00 ea. (Qty. 2)

These are all list prices I would have not replaced with Ford if I didn’t get a 25% discount from them.

Tools Required (From what I remember):
Aerokroil, PB-Blaster, or any type of penetrating oil for rusty parts.
Almost all wrenches and sockets are metric.
Will need sizes ranging from 7mm-24mm in wrenches and/or sockets. (The more the merrier.)
Ratchets of various sizes
Extensions of various sizes
Universal Joints
Air Tools (If you want to speed things up a bit)
Jack stands, blocks of wood, milk crates etc.
Beer would have made this better.
I didn’t use any specialty tools, but the essentials are needed. The extensions and universals are for getting into tight spaces. The air tools are nice if you don’t want to spend all day loosening nuts.

--- from w/ decent write up: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76280

see if these work

6W4Z3078AA, Arm Assy (Lower), $470.70
6W4Z3079AA, Arm Assy (Lower), $470.70
Four Wheel Alignment (This is needed since removing the control arms, removes your alignment), $112.33
Specialty Products Company Part No. 87545, Caster/Camber Alignment Bolts, (Needed in order to do the alignment correctly and/or easily), $100.69 set.

Parts replaced while I was in there:

6W4Z3084AA, Arm Assy (Upper), $143.90 (This has Jaguar casted right onto the part)
6W4Z3085AA, Arm Assy (Upper), $143.92 (This has Jaguar casted right onto the part)
5W4Z5K483AA, Sway Bar End Link, $38.48 ea.
W520213S440, Sway Bar End Link Nut, $3.50 ea. (Qty. 4)
N807144S441, Upper Ball Joint Nut, $4.00 ea. (Qty. 2)

These are all list prices I would have not replaced with Ford if I didn’t get a 25% discount from them.

Tools Required (From what I remember):
Aerokroil, PB-Blaster, or any type of penetrating oil for rusty parts.
Almost all wrenches and sockets are metric.
Will need sizes ranging from 7mm-24mm in wrenches and/or sockets. (The more the merrier.)
Ratchets of various sizes
Extensions of various sizes
Universal Joints
Air Tools (If you want to speed things up a bit)
Jack stands, blocks of wood, milk crates etc.
Beer would have made this better.
I didn’t use any specialty tools, but the essentials are needed. The extensions and universals are for getting into tight spaces. The air tools are nice if you don’t want to spend all day loosening nuts.

--- from w/ decent write up: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/showthread.php?t=76280

Thanks for the P/N's and link to that write up. I am moreso looking for aftermarket balljoints and bushings. I dont mind pressing the balljoints in myself as I'll buy the tool. For example that ebay kit comes with

(2) Upper Control Arms with Ball Joints & Bushings ( 6W4Z 3084-AA ; 6W4Z 3085-AA)

(2) CONTROL ARMS With BALL JOINT ASSEMBLY (AXLE BEARING CARRIER) (LOWER -14MM) ( XW4Z 3079A-A ; XW4Z 3078AA)

(2) OUTER TIE RODS (Left & Right) ( 3W4Z 3A130-AB ; 3W4Z 3A130-AA)

(2) FRONT SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINKS (5W4Z 5K483-AA)

(2) REAR SWAY BAR / STABILIZER LINKS ( XW4Z 5C486-AA ; XW4Z 5C487-AA)

(2) SWAY BAR / STABILIZER BUSHINGS ( XW4Z 5493-SP)
-------------

Now for the lower control arm, ill just use my stock one and pack in new ones with these
Moog http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2198840
P/N K500084 $41.79 ea.

Front Stabilizer Links will replace with
Moog http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1133671
P/N K80261 32.79 ea.

Rear Stabilizer Links
Right
Moog http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=1133668
P/N K80245 $33.79
Left P/N K80246 $32.79

Outer Tie Rod Ends
Moog Left P/N ES800415 $37.99
Moog Right P/N ES800414 $37.99

Now I am having trouble finding the P/N for the upper ball joints or bushings, or are we still replacing the entire uppder control arms?
Also having trouble finding the P/N for the sway bar bushings, although I'm not too sure if those need replacing, ill get under the car and have a look.

the sway bar bushings depend on if your sport or non sport... most of us use the energy bushings.... although you can find generic replacments at most autopart stores if you have all your measurements.....

i dont think you can purchase the uppers by them self. only heard of people replacing the entire arm... usually around 100 or so

the sway bar bushings depend on if your sport or non sport... most of us use the energy bushings.... although you can find generic replacments at most autopart stores if you have all your measurements.....

I have the non-sport version. What size would that be? link?

Hey thanks for the links.

So it appears that everyone who has replaced the lower control arm ball joints. Have NOT been able to successfully replace the bushings?

I thought I was going to look into it further but my motivation level for it is not at the level i need it to be. If those are bad, mine were, people bite the bullet, I did, and replace the whole thing.

I dont mind pressing the balljoints in myself as I'll buy the tool.
Now I am having trouble finding the P/N for the upper ball joints or bushings, or are we still replacing the entire uppder control arms?
Also having trouble finding the P/N for the sway bar bushings, although I'm not too sure if those need replacing, ill get under the car and have a look.

I haven't heard of folks pressing the lower ball join themselves. It's in the knuckle, not the arm, so the usual screw press you can rent may not be a great idea. It's also easy to break the knuckle. So, be prepared.

Never heard of the uppers available separately. Maybe you can find them? Mine are tight but the boots are torn, so will be looking for that sometime in the future.

Sway bar bushings almost certainly need to be replaced. Being right next to the radiator is not great for rubber parts. Ford only sells a complete sway bar with redesigned bushings. You can get generic Energy Suspension bushings - 27mm for normal, 29mm for sport - and drop those with only a few battles. Tonnes of info on this topic on this forum.

control arm bushings

Rock Auto lists them for the gen 2's. Maybe somebody who knows can look at the picture provided and tell if they look correct. Would save over a hundred instead of buying a whole new arm.

Rock Auto lists them for the gen 2's. Maybe somebody who knows can look at the picture provided and tell if they look correct. Would save over a hundred instead of buying a whole new arm.

Lists what? The bushings or the ball joints? Nobody sells, or nobody has found, bushings by themselves to replace the ones in the lower control arms. Lower ball joints yes, control arm bushings no.

I'm a little confused by Rock Auto site. I'm repairing accident damage to my Gen1. I need upper and lower ball joints and outer tie rod end all on the left side.

For the lower ball joint, Rock Auto lists either the whole knuckle or just the joint. OK I can remove the knuckle and press out old joint and in a new one (at least I think I can, guess I'll find out) because I'm cheap.

For the uppers they list upper control arms with and without the ball joint but no separate ball joint. So had to order the upper control arm. I looked like hell for just the ball joint but no dice.

No one lists the bushings for either control arm. Though several firms sell universal bushings. To use these someone would need to measure the ID and length of the opening in the control arms.

You are correct about the lower ball joint. Because these parts are all cast aluminum it is very easy to crack or break them when pressing in the joints, bushings, etc. I'd be careful when doing the lower ball joints.

I haven't come across upper ball joints separate from the control arm. IIRC, not on this car, but if you bought Moog control arms, they sold the uppers separate from the control arm. That way if it ever needed uppers again again you would only need to purchase the ball joint rather than the whole assembly.

I might be going into my work today, and if I do I'll see if I can sneak in the control arm to put it on a caliper. One of the things I worry about with this bushing is the sheer size of it. It's a very critical component to your front end. If it were to be replaced with a universal bushing I would worry that it would catastrophically fail at some point.

I just went back and checked Rock Auto for the bushings. If you go to suspension, then control arm there is search in the upper right corner for related parts. Dorman Part # 74045, control rod bushing,OD .465 ID .190 L .4 W/fwd. Dont know if these fit but they are listed with the gen 2 control arms. Be nice if they fit

Those will not work on the front lower control arms. Will be taking off once I get this laundry done.

Alright. For one it is difficult to measure the size of the hole in the control arm without having the bushing pressed out so these are the best measurements I can get.

Bushing:
OD - 2.7375"
ID Bolt Hole- .55"
Length (taken from protruding bolt holes) - 3.0735"

Control Arm:
Hole Diameter - 2.7810"

Now it most certainly is a press fit as you may know. How much interference is there I have no idea. I'd assume maybe .005" or more considering that it's not supposed to come out, be serviceable, rotate in there etc.

Hope this helps someone.

I haven't found anything that fits those sizes.

Energy Suspension has a selection of Universal Control Arm Bushings but the largest are 2.04 OD (ofor 2.00 ID control arms)

I haven't found anything that fits those sizes.

Energy Suspension has a selection of Universal Control Arm Bushings but the largest are 2.04 OD (ofor 2.00 ID control arms)

They are some big honking bushings that's for sure. Between the control arm and the two bushings I'd say probably over 50% of the weight is in the bushing alone.

Members online

No members online now.
Back