Lincoln LS SUNROOF problem

QUICKSILVER_LS

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi can any1 help me to fix my sunroof.?..it wont open...i brought my car to the dealer yesterday,,,and they estimated it around $1,700 (damn) to fix it..
can anyone show me the more economic way to fix this proplem?...i have an 2001 LS v8.........btw it's summer and i want to open my sunroof ...pls HELP!!!
:L

wow thats such bullsh!t!!!! it cost $1200 TO INSTALL A FACTORY MOONROOF FROM SCRATCH!! go tell your dealer to shove it and go somewhere else

I have the same problem the damn sun roof looks like it fell off the rack and it opens up when i hit about 80 it really sucks!

Tell us more what the symptoms are. Any parts llose? any motor noise, etc?

I think Webasto makes the sunroofs for most Ford cars. You can probably order them from Webasto cheaper than from Ford. They also have the parts cheaper. Try this page...

http://www.webasto.us/am/en/am_auto_sunroofs.html

My 89 SHO had a problem with opening the roof. The side rods that moved the roof up were worn out. I ordered them from Webasto and good as new.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

QUICKSILVER_LS said:
well....it sounds like the motor is working..but it doesn't slide open... :L

Does it even tip down?

Mine had, and now has again - problems tipping down below the roof line, before it slides back. I have to reach out, and bop it as I pull back on the switch.

It seemed to have worked itself out at the end of last summer, but is giving me grief again.

I'd rather have a broken/inopperative sunroof than pay that kind of money to fix it though.

QUICKSILVER_LS said:
well....it sounds like the motor is working..but it doesn't slide open... :L

Hmmm sounds like the rods that move the roof are either worn out or off track( If I recall they have a loop/channel at the end that rides over a roller or pin) When that goes, the motor works but the roof doesn't move. You are going to need a bright light and some patience to look in there and see what is going on. When the roof is up you should be able to see quite a bit of the track mechanism.

It has been a long time since I messed with the roof, but if you are a decent backyard mechanic, you should be able to figure it out. I even think there are blow up drawings on the Webasto website.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Taking a look at my sunroof. It looks like you should remove the glass, I think it was 4 accessible screws. This will then make the rest of the mechanism much easier to see, although you may be able to see the problem with the glass still in place.

This is what I did way back on my SHO. Remove the glass forst and then the rest is easy. Just hope that it isn't the motr itself since that is under the head liner.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

Kevin said:
Mine had, and now has again - problems tipping down below the roof line, before it slides back. I have to reach out, and bop it as I pull back on the switch.

It seemed to have worked itself out at the end of last summer, but is giving me grief again.

My 2000 Ls has this exact problem. It hits the roof, makes a loud noise, and then falls under the roof, and goes back.

In the winter, it wouldn't move unless I got out of the car and pressed down on it.

YESSSSSSSS....i fixed it already...thanks guys for helpful tip.. turn out the roller pin goes off track..all i have to do is pop it back in...man i can't believe the dealer gonna charge me 1700 for a 30 mins job...god dammit...(sorry)

QUICKSILVER_LS said:
YESSSSSSSS....i fixed it already...thanks guys for helpful tip.. turn out the roller pin goes off track..all i have to do is pop it back in...man i can't believe the dealer gonna charge me 1700 for a 30 mins job...god dammit...(sorry)

You should call and speak to the service manager and let them know how you diagnosed, and fixed it. I also please ask you let them know the quote you got from them and that it should be reported to FLM for not even taking an honest look at it for you.

Great Job on the fix!

Members online

No members online now.
Back