Lincoln LS stalling at stop light and engine shaking.

dpnation

New LVC Member
Reaction score
First of all, I’d like to say this is my 1st post and I’ve been using this site to receive information ever since purchasing my Lincoln in Nov of last year and it’s a helpful site.

I’ve been having trouble ever since purchasing this car 2001 Lincoln LS 76,000miles.

The main problem I am having now seems to be a serious one as my mechanic is now hesitant to work on my car. I’ve had and check engine light on for 3 months now with the same reading of the Bank 1 and Bank 2 sensor. First I was told to replace all 4 oxygen sensors which cost me 49.99 each plus labor. The light stood off for an amazing 16 minutes and then it was back on. I took my car to get a better diagnostic because the first one was done with the little auto zone one. The shop I took it to said the problem is with your fuel pump. I got that replaced; the part was 103.00 plus 200.00 for labor. I got in my car and I could feel it was still not fixed. Sure enough the light appears after a few hours on the road.

So now I am still stuck with the same light with the same unfixable problem. Here’s where one of you my help me. From the moment I turn on my car my rpm’s shoot up to around 2 and my car jerks back and fourth like it’s getting today for a race. At long stop lights my car just dies on me. When listening to the engine, I am guessing an air tube (I don’t much about engines but I seen my mechanic pull one of 3 hoses to stop the air) it’s really loud. Also this might be related to the same problem but my A/C is getting low pressure and even leaked all over the passenger’s side. I noticed this problem a while back but I still haven't found a solution

I am clueless and my mechanic said he wants to do major surgery by removing the car manifold (I don't know why) to find the problem since the codes of all diagnostics can’t seem to find the problem. If anyone can provide me some ideas, pdf manuals or say a prayer that would rock because I’ve been spending money on the car like crazy aside from this problem.

Thanks all,

Daniel.

sorry wish i could help been having almost the same problem recently my check engine light came on it was a hot day i was heavy on the gas and then all of a sudden i lost alot of power car doesnt take off like i want it to its just annoyed maybe when u get ur solution it could help me out with my problem also sorry couldnt be of any assistance

Oh no worries, that was a quick reply.

I am sure someone will steer us in the right direction.

I'm going to post a picture on my car since that seems like the thing to do here.

It's really nice, but a total lemon,lol.

s.JPG

If i was you, I'd take the car your closes Lincoln dealer and have it analyzed by them.

I'd suggest checking to see if your valve cover gaskets are leaking. This is cheap/easy to do. If they ARENT, you havent wasted/spent any money. If they are, then depending on your mileage, and whether or not you have the original coils? I'd personally get a set of 8 (or 6, depending on your engine) and replace them all along with the leaky gaskets. This isnt really wasting money, as it's almost a sure thing that OEM coils will start to go (on average) around the 90k mile timeframe. If that doesnt fix the issue, then still, not money wasted. (sorry..replacing the fuel pump was a waste..the O2 sensors? ehh...maybe not a WASTE..but those usually last quite a while).

Again..the above is assuming you want to save as much money as possible and do things yourself.

Otherwise? I agree with the above..bite the bullet and take it to the Ford or L/M dealer. Ford dealer may have a cheaper hourly rate, but they know the engine..as it's the same as the Thunderbird. (V8) and I think the 6 is common to them as well.

if the O2 sensors are new and working properly, and you still get the light, maybe replacing cats is in order. The o2 sensors are there to make sure the cats are working properly. Maybe the code is there to tell you that they are not working properly.

Is it coolant that leaked on your passenger side? I had that problem once on a different car. It was the heater core.

You mentioned a air leak, Is your car a V6? those had PCV hose failures which is a inexpensive but timely fix. Spray some carb cleaner around your hoses to see if it changes RPM's until you find the leak.

"I'd suggest checking to see if your valve cover gaskets are leaking. This is cheap/easy to do. If they ARENT, you havent wasted/spent any money"

I think that's the best idea, yes the car is a V6.

"those had PCV hose failures which is a inexpensive but timely fix. Spray some carb cleaner around your hoses to see if it changes RPM's until you find the leak."

Sounds like another good idea...

Thank you guys for the help as I will get my car looked at tmrw (July 24th) and will update the progress to see if it was fixed because I am sure someone else could use your guys help.

Thanks.

now that you confirmed its a V6, I would put ALL my money on your PCV hose. I had that happen years ago on my first 2000 V6 LS.

Sounds like a plan. What does PCV stand for.

How much did that cost you?

There is a mention of "cats" and I don't know what that means as well.

I don't know much about cars other then changing oil and tires,lol sorry.

here's your problem.

At 62k my 01 LS had the same problem. Both banks running to lean. The problem is the PCV hose (rubber) is located on top of the engine, covered by the manifold. This intense heat cracks the hose, then you have a vacuum problem big time. The dealer replaced mine for $400. Yes that's right, mostly labor to fix a .50 hose. Running great at 98K. This is a common problem.

PCV ELBOW...just fixed my LS. it's under the lower intake. Pain in the A$$ to get at, but at the same time, replace the plugs and coils (atleast on the passenger side). the elbow is 28 bucks, and a dealer only item. Get the right one, don't try to mickey mouse it. It's in a very tight spot.

Members online

No members online now.
Back