Lincoln ls Regular temp

MrOptimistic

LVC Member
Reaction score
I recently bought a 2005 lincoln ls everything checked out except for one thing..It stays around 225°F.Doesnt overheat but thats pretty high to me.I changed thermostat to 180°F, but no change..It does go down to 192~199 with ac on.So my question is what is considered normal temp specs???

Heres a pic

20151204_142218_HDR.jpg

I don't know if I want to go into this again. The last time someone asked what temperature the car was supposed to run, I told him and then he assured me that I was wrong.

Your LS is in fact overheating. (Overheating starts before the gauge passes the halfway mark.) You can take the thermostat out completely, and it will still be overheating. You need to put the correct (190 or so) thermostat back in and then fix the cooling system problem(s).

To start with, you'll need to replace the degas bottle (it's cracked but you can't see it till you remove it). Get the Motorcraft bottle, not the Dorman or similar. Check all the plastic cooling parts, including those in the middle of some of the hoses. Check the radiator and DCCV for any signs of leaking. (Wet coolant or white or other colored dry stains.) You will have to fill it and bleed the air out exactly by the factory procedure.

joegr;2037391932(Overheating starts before the gauge passes the halfway mark.) [/QUOTE said:
Point of interest: I was using FORscan last week to move the gauge needles through an OBD port connection. The tach, speedo, and fuel gauges all moved linearly and proportionally to the 0-100% input value (meaning sending a "50%" signal to each of thse would read ~3500RPM, ~80mph, and ~half a tank). The temperature gauge, however, stayed on the bottom up until maybe 20%, hit the middle at ~33%, stayed there until maybe 50%, then hit the top of the range before 70% (note: actual values may be slightly different). It was just interesting to see the PCM, presumably, sends a signal proportional to the temperature, but the cluster interprets the signal in a very non-linear fashion.

Fun fact.

I'm with you on this one I believe it's overheating too but there's no leaks.. The system holds pressure and I've replaced cap.I have noticed the fans don't turn on until 226*f and only run till the drop the temp to around 215~221.The fans aren't on anytime before 226* unless I turn on a/c which overrides them to run on high .Otherwise they run only on low when 226 hits. I have a v6 if there's any difference Vs v8 cooling temp.

I'm with you on this one I believe it's overheating too but there's no leaks.. The system holds pressure and I've replaced cap.I have noticed the fans don't turn on until 226*f and only run till the drop the temp to around 215~221.The fans aren't on anytime before 226* unless I turn on a/c which overrides them to run on high .Otherwise they run only on low when 226 hits. I have a v6 if there's any difference Vs v8 cooling temp.

If you have more than one fan, then you have a very strange LS.
I was a believer in pressure tests before I go two LSes. I have learned that the LS can be very sneaky and fool a pressure test. If your degas bottle is more than six years old, it's cracked.

It's not that the system leaks per sé, but the tiny cracks in the system allow air in; causing the air pockets.

Members online

No members online now.
Back