Lincoln LS Gen 1 question about upgrading to LED headlight bulbs

Lincoln LS

1. DaleGrib

DaleGrib Well-Known LVC Member

Has anyone here upgraded their headlight bulbs to LED ? And did you have issues with flicker? I am looking at upgrading my bulbs since I just purchased new headlights and I wanted to see if anyone had done this here. I was thinking of doing all the front lights in LED if it would not cause any issues. Any Feedback would be great!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2019 at 7:47 PM
  2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

As someone without the best night vision, I beg you not to. I am constantly being blinded at night by all these kids with illegal HID and LED conversions. HID lights are fine (I have two cars with them), but only when they are in headlight assemblies with lens designed for HID. The same is true for LEDs.

Okay, that's said. I'll try to stay out of it from here on out.

3. DaleGrib

DaleGrib Well-Known LVC Member

I was not trying to blind everyone on the road but improve the quality of the lights. I myself have issues at night which is why I was trying to do something about the lights. I know they make good OEM quality HID conversions and they also make decent LED bulbs that don't blind everyone on the road. I am not trying to do something illegal at all. I know the big key on these LED bulbs is to buy ones that have a chip in them to help make the light even and not blind people. The cheap ones are the ones that blind everyone because of the quality.

4. 1LoudLS

1LoudLS Dedicated LVC Member

Its not so much about the quality of the kits that cause them to blind people... what Joe is getting at is that if you take the OEM Lincoln LS housing and the OEM halogen housing while they may look almost identical, there are some small but major differences in the reflectors due to the slight different physical differences between the two kinds of bulbs. no matter what kind quality bulb that you buy, if you put a different kind of bulb in your housing, you will get some glare as the reflector was not designed for the type of bulb you just put in and some to a lot of the light will get scattered off into random places (read: other drivers eyes). the biggest difference in bulb type is the point of the light source. for example, the filament of a halogen bulb is in a slightly different place than where the arc of an HID bulb is and also in a slightly different location that where in the bulb circuit board is the LED/s mounted.

As far as getting good quality HID?LED bulbs that doesn't blind everybody on the road, some may be better than others but they all will have some about of glare/light scatter that will blind other drivers. also it is a luck of the draw kinda of thin as every different model of OEM housing will be different so while a specific HID kit may work pretty good in one application with out having a ton of glare, the same bulb in a different car's housing may be all glare and very little usable light projected on to the road.

• Like Like x 1
    • joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

It's simple.
      There's no way to make an LED work completely correctly in a halogen or HID reflector or projector.
      There's no way to make a HID work completely correctly in a halogen or LED reflector or projector.
      There's no way to make a Halogen work completely correctly in HID or LED reflector or projector.

There are no LED or HID retrofits that are street legal in the US.

• Broseph

Broseph Well-Known LVC Member

If better night driving is your goal I think the HID headlights from Gen II is your best bet, followed closely behind the headlamp upgrade for Halogen bulbs - this is the cheaper route but not by much, an HID at pull yards can be had for $50 a piece.

I can’t remember the exact bulb number, but you essentially have a bright bulb in the low beam that requires cutting one of the tabs. I did it years ago and get great light output and it has minimal glare for oncoming traffic.

• Broseph

The halogen upgrade might have simply meant putting a 9005 in place of the 9006. I’ll try finding that thread

• Broseph

My fault, that was for 03-06 halogens which I replaced with an 06 LSE bumper. You can swap the H9 and H11 easily for more low beam output. I’m sure something similar could be done for Gen I halogen with some google searching

H9 Headlight Bulbs Anyone?

• donnie

donnie New LVC Member

Yes you can there is a led set up on amazon that cost a little more but they have 3 LEDs instead of 1. I used the 1 and light was everywhere blinding everyone but the one with 3 leds I haven’t had issues and you can see a line of cut off on a wall and while driving. And it’s not a perfect line like a projector lights but damn close. And that’s with factory lens. I will try to take pictures tonight.
      Here are the lights
      HIKARI Ultra LED Headlight Bulbs Conversion Kit -H11 (H8,H9), Prime LED 12000lm 6K Cool White,2 Yr Warranty https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077BT6M6Z/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_n.KKCbA79R6FC