Lincoln LS engine

Lincoln LS

1. DAStone

DAStone New LVC Member

Please bear with me, I just found this forum and have a question. Can anybody tell me what years the V8 engines will interchange? My brother just picked up a nice looking LS that needs an engine. Thanks for any info.

2. joegr

joegr Dedicated LVC Member

2000-2002 - 1st gen.
    2003-2006 - 2nd gen.
    You have to stay in the same generation.
    I assume your brother has a 1st gen, since it's pretty rare to blow a 2nd gen V8.

3. DAStone

DAStone New LVC Member

I'm pretty sure he told me it's a 2002. He found a 2004 wreck with a good engine but had heard they wouldn't swap.

4. joegr

No, they won't.

5. FDR

FDR Dedicated LVC Member

There may be something different for [late?] 02. It had a different part number when I needed one. I don't know what was different. I could ***guess*** it just means it was updated with the metal-bodied secondary timing chain tensioners, as both my original and the replacement engines had those instead of the failure-prone plastic bodies

6. Broseph

Broseph Well-Known LVC Member

Yes to the tensioners and also the oil cooler was not included. I’m pretty sure it wasn’t an addon for sport package but an engine change at some point.

Neither of these changes (tensioners or oil cooler) matter on any 00-02 v8 swap, although I’d strongly suggest getting a late year 02 with metal tensioners. If the cooler is included on an engine pull, and you don’t have the right coolant hose, just unscrew the adapter and Im pretty sure you can thread the other model oil filter where the cooler screwed onto the block.

It’s been 8 years since I pulled my motor, so I may not be 100% accurate.

7. joegr

The water to oil cooler is definitely a sport / non-sport difference, not a year change. Check out your local pick-n-pull if you doubt this.
    There was an internal oil flow change in 02 to get more oil to the timing chains. The timing gears changed some too.

You need a different inner hollow bolt to convert from cooler to non-cooler. There's no need though. If you don't connect the coolant hoses to the cooler, nothing bad happens.

8. Broseph

Broseph Well-Known LVC Member

Good call. It had been awhile since I did the research and changed engines , so I misremembered. I somewhat remember changing out the male threaded bolt for the oil filters now.

9. FDR

FDR Dedicated LVC Member

Given the number of cooler failures that mixed coolant and oil, I'd at least cap the cooler lines to prevent anything from pooling inside and corroding the internals