Lincoln ls Alternator

Throwback420

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
Well my Alternator is going out and Im gonna need a new one. (2002 lincoln ls v8)

My question is where should I get it ??

waiting on quote from Ford for the part and install. (crazy I know)

1. Should I get one from Auto zone and just take it to ford ? $180 for part
2. There are a bunch of sites online that has the part from $ 90-120

Im gonna be putting a system in within the next few months I say around 1200 to 2000 watts ... Will one of these Alternators be good enough or shell out extra cash for a higher quality one ??

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-ALTERNA...otn=21&pmod=400261446699&ps=54#ht_3887wt_1185

Im pretty sure a few of you guys have replaced this part. What did you guys do ??

From what I've read, on this site of all places, people have tried the DB alternators to no avail. My brothers have ran them on their super duties without problems though. With that said the lack of an aftermarket, electrical being no exception, your best bet is to stick with OEM, do the big 3 upgrade, and get the proper battery for said system.

People on here have done the big 3 upgrade. People have done the "Duracrap" (my opinion) with mixed results. I'd get your electrical in tip top shape before your install.

thanks alot I appreciate your input. So Ill scratch that DB alternator

now is should I just go thru the ford dealership ?? Auto Zone or online ??

are these online sites legit ? Amazon has the part for under $100

I'm not sure on the best battery but I'm running an Optima Red Top although the Yellow Top is a better battery for something having aftermarket audio. They don't "fit" but have spacers in them to fit in the stock location. Also check out Kinetic batteries. Someone else may chime in as I'm no expert I just read a lot online.

Check your dealer, reputable online parts places, Max at Chapman Ford of Phoenix, Arizona for the alternator. I'm not a fan of getting parts like this from AZ, O'Reilly's, Advance Auto, etc.

When I replaced mine I used the same guy I have been using for the last 25 years throughout the time when I had my shop and all. It is a alternator/starter rebuider, that is all he does and specializes in and never had an issue with him.

http://auto-alternator-and-starter-dealers.cmac.ws/bronx-ignition/1047/

I would stay away from bargain stores ones IMO.

If you dont have a alternator rebuilder by you I am sure you can call the guy I use and see if he will ship one to you. Ask for Billy and tell him Nick from Hi-Tech Auto suggested him. Very good guy to deal with.

I added a second battery in my car for the stereo. The small ones specifically for that, dont remember which brand I got off hand. Works great for last 3 years.

there are many threads on this if you are looking for more information... Including what has and hasn't worked in the past...

what special battery even fit the lincoln ls ?? auto zone only carried one ...

You need to get one with an external vent tube connection. Otherwise, if you ever have an electrical problem and survive, you'll wish you didn't.

I have tried a few aftermarket HO alternators and have not been able to get them to work correctly. Some people have had luck with them but there arent many. They dont seem to have enuf amperage output at idle and when I rev the engine the lights get very bright for a split second. It might be something in the PCM causing the prob, idk. Just sharing my experiences. I went back to an OEM alternator.

Hite, I am sending my DB to have it assessed by a really solid local industrial electrical company who happens to be willing to look into my DB and tell me where, if any, the defect is. If it comes back clean, I too will say it has to be in pcm.

Hite, I am sending my DB to have it assessed by a really solid local industrial electrical company who happens to be willing to look into my DB and tell me where, if any, the defect is. If it comes back clean, I too will say it has to be in pcm.

The issue is not so much the alternator, but the PCM control of it. If I have time away from my main project, I want to probe the alt control to see what it does.

Most normal alternators have all the regulation logic in the unit. They have a sense wire that connects to a primary junction in the car, and the alt controls output to keep that junction around 14.4V. In the LS, the PCM has a more active control of the alternator. This doesn't jive well with partially modified internals.

For the OP, I've had good luck with a Napa alternator. The general consensus is OEM NEW is the longest lasting.

The issue is not so much the alternator, but the PCM control of it. If I have time away from my main project, I want to probe the alt control to see what it does.

Most normal alternators have all the regulation logic in the unit. They have a sense wire that connects to a primary junction in the car, and the alt controls output to keep that junction around 14.4V. In the LS, the PCM has a more active control of the alternator. This doesn't jive well with partially modified internals.

For the OP, I've had good luck with a Napa alternator. The general consensus is OEM NEW is the longest lasting.

I don't think that it is uncommon for Ford alternators to be controlled by the PCM. I do think that evidently the LS PCM control signalling to/from the alternator is different than that of most other Ford cars. Some (most or all?) aftermarket suppliers must not realize this.

I wonder if Mr. Howie has an answer in how to make an aftermarket alternator work. Rollin, you have access to ask him as soon as possible?

No, The DB's don't really work, I have had this alternater to them 3 times. I'm going back to OEM. Yeah i agree when you rev the lights get bright for a sec then go back to being dim. Also, does not have the amperage at idle and can't keep up with the car at higher engine speeds (highway speed). If I hard accelerate the car lights go dim and hick up like a mofo. So stay away from Aftermarket. OEM is worth the money apparently.Don't do what many of us have. It really isn't worth the headache.

Maybe some day someone will find out how to properly install a HO alternator. Its going to take some type of modification that hasnt been done yet, atleast that I'm aware of. QuikLS had an alternator from Ohio Generator that I assume worked. It was like $600-700 tho.

It would be very interesting to hear if the Ohio Generator worked. Makes me wonder if they used the T902 regulator or something else.

Anything can be done with the right equipment and know how. I wish someone could make it simple for us without spending $700. I'd like to have a little more juice in my LS. My electric cooling fan pushes my alternator to the max so I dont feel comfortable adding any aftermarket amps like I want to.

where is the cheapest OEM Alt. you've found?

Rockauto? They have a Motocraft reman for $151.79. Tasca has one for $159.89. Both have core charges of $60.

Are dealers close to this cost?

Are dealers close to this cost?

Max had quoted me a few months ago :

242.25 retail and cost you 188.96 plus the 60.00 core charge. shipping would be about 25.00.

so looks like a dealer would be 300 out the door

forgot about this thread. the problem was my battery the whole time.

but I just put in a system so I might need a HO Alternator eventually,

got quoted for a 250amp ho alternator by mike singer. looking into it

So here is my next question. Has anyone simply tried to rewind an oem alternator for higher output and see if it works?

HO Alternator's

With late model cars, I would be very particular about replacing the alternator with another that has tons more ampers. Why? The wiring/loom/PCM are all configured for the stock output. Wire gauge mostly. Manufactures engineer the wire gauge for just what they install thus, pump up the amps and you will over time heat up connectors and wiring to the point one of the connectors melts down and fails.

The correct way to get 250 ampers is to install a second alternator. I wouldn't do it but for those who need to haul their home stereo system in their car, that's the best and safe solution. Plus, a second battery some place. Good luck figuring where to put that and another alternator.

Members online

No members online now.
Back