Lincoln LS 2002 V6 Rattle

jellyfish

New LVC Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a rattle that sounds very much like a timing belt tensioner rattle that I've seen videos of on youtube, but I have a V6.

Does the V6 also have faulty tensioners, or could this rattle be something else?

If an expert could list any common rattles on the V6, I'd appreciate it.

Thank you!

You do not have a timing belt. You have timing chains. Both the V6 and the V8 have chains and timing chain tensioners. However, the two chain systems are very different.
While it is more or less rare, I have heard of timing chain failure on the V6. That said, there are lots of other things that could cause similar rattle sounds.

You could remove your accessory belt and start the engine and see if the rattle is still there. If it isn't, you'll know that it was something driven by the belt. Don't run the engine for more than one minute without the belt on.

The noise

[video]https://goo.gl/photos/SY4psHUE9vwiCTZq5[/video]

It sounds loudest around the air box. It's the low sound, wait for it.

I didn't take the belt off because it looked hard to reach. I thought this video may spark some ideas of what could be making this noise.

Sounds like vibrating, but I take air box off and it still makes the noise. The noise is louder if I pick up air box. I think the noise is coming down the tube somewhere.

Any ideas?

Members online

No members online now.
Back