Lincoln Aviator Ignition Coils?

nofinga911

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
I have been having ignition coils go bad since i first purchased my 04 aviator...does anyone know why this is happening or how i can solve this problem? And most importantly does anyone know of any high performance aviator ignition coils and pack??

Yeah, and they don't go bad in 5 minutes like the trash Ford puts under our hoods. I use them, and I like them fine.

MarkVIII93 said:
Its a 4.6 isnt it? 99-01 cobra coils should work.

yes it is a 4.6 ...lol but you said they should work...will they definitly work? i want to purchase them asap but i dont want to be stuck with the wrong ones..

Yes, they will work for any 4.6 DOHC with COP ignition from a 97 Mark VIII all the way to an 04 Aviator. There is a small trick when installing them you have to reverse the polarity but it tells you how to do it in the instructions.

can someone direct me to the link for those specific coils...because the link given doesnt show 99-01 cobra coils...and im looking for really high quality..thanks guys i appreciate it!

nofinga911 said:
that will fit the aviator? it says 4 valve...and the aviator is a v8...do you have an aol sn...would be much easier if ou dont mind...thanks

No AOL or IM for me.

The 4V coils will interchange. The 2v and 3V will not as they are angled. The 4V's are a "stright" design.

32-valve (4V) Modular V8's are:

97-97 Mark VIII
99-04 Cobra
01-04 Mach I
98-02 Continental
03-04 Marauder
03-06 Aviator

These models will interchage. It's essentially the same ignition setup. 4V is what you need.
00-05 Navigator

evillally said:
No AOL or IM for me.

The 4V coils will interchange. The 2v and 3V will not as they are angled. The 4V's are a "stright" design.

32-valve (4V) Modular V8's are:

97-97 Mark VIII
99-04 Cobra
01-04 Mach I
98-02 Continental
03-04 Marauder
03-06 Aviator

These models will interchage. It's essentially the same ignition setup. 4V is what you need.
00-05 Navigator

ok, so i should get the one from the ebay link you posted right? and do i need to get a new coil pack?

ok so i purchased the ones from the ebay link above...now should i have my dealership service install them or will it void the warrenty? and also has anyone heard of irotors .. rotor company because i want to upgrade my brakes but i am not sure who else has any apllications for my truck

nofinga911 said:
ok so i purchased the ones from the ebay link above...now should i have my dealership service install them or will it void the warrenty? and also has anyone heard of irotors .. rotor company because i want to upgrade my brakes but i am not sure who else has any apllications for my truck

You should be able to do it yourself, no problems. It shouldn't void the warranty- and if the dealer gives you any sh!t, tell em' that the coils they put in weren't any help, so you had to take matters into your own more competent hands.

Just follow the instructions, and ask questions here if you get stuck...

evillally said:
You should be able to do it yourself, no problems. It shouldn't void the warranty- and if the dealer gives you any sh!t, tell em' that the coils they put in weren't any help, so you had to take matters into your own more competent hands.

Just follow the instructions, and ask questions here if you get stuck...

ok thanks a lot...should i get new spark plugs?

Dominus said:
Absolutely.

which spark plugs should I get?? Which are the best lol......and also i just got the ignition coils but should i have gotten a coilpack with them??

nofinga911 said:
which spark plugs should I get?? Which are the best lol......and also i just got the ignition coils but should i have gotten a coilpack with them??

Since you'll be running these coils and a custom tune, I'd go with one step colder thank stock. I think Autolite 103 plugs will do. You may also want to install a 180 thermostat. With the colder plugs, coils, and t-stat, you should have yourself a pretty mean machine :gr_devil:

evillally said:
Since you'll be running these coils and a custom tune, I'd go with one step colder thank stock. I think Autolite 103 plugs will do. You may also want to install a 180 thermostat. With the colder plugs, coils, and t-stat, you should have yourself a pretty mean machine :gr_devil:

think you can help me find a 180 thermostat for my truck? and should i have recieved any coilpacks with the coils?

The coils are the coilpacks... The kit you ordered will come with everything except the spark plugs. I agree you should get the 1 step colder Autolite 103's. You should be able to find the 180 degree thermostat at Napa Auto... if they don't have one listed for the Aviator get one that's made for a Mach 1 or 01 Cobra. Make sure you take advantage of the 180 t-stat by using your SCT Xcal 2 to make the fan come on at 180 degrees.

i need some help...the instructions arent helping me and i dont know how to install the coils....and also when i get the new spark plugs how far should i gap them?

If you don't feel comfortable take it to a shop to get the GMS kit installed. I gapped my plugs at .058 although that is conservative wtih the GMS kit... you can take it up to .065 if you wanted to although remember this is with no blower. If you ever get a blower you will have to back down the gap to around .040-.045 in my opinion. Good luck...

can i get the autolite plugs at any store like auto zone? and do i have to get any specific kind for my vehicle?

does anyone know if granatelli makes a 180 thermostat for my truck? i cant get in touch with them!

Members online

Back