Let's Talk Water Pumps. . .

Sifrino3

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Okay, I got out for a long drive and even though it took longer then it did last time. (Month or so ago.) It started to get hot. (On the "M" of normal) The drive ability is alot different when it is running on "R." Then running on "M." I dunno how big of a change it is. But it driver different. Before the installation of the headers, pulley's, and adj fuel reg. It was running on "O."

If I drive it normal like just reg city/hwy driving. It will stay just in the middle of "O and R." But if I get on it a few times. It with be a M within seconds. I don't let it get farther then that.

I believe my water pump is going out. But im going to swtch back to my stock pulleys. Just to see if it will stay cooler. Intal I can get a better pump. I was looking at an Edelbrock w.p. Anything I should look for?

Last edited:
I think you should put the stock pulleys back on and leave them on there. There is minimal gain to be had from them, but many issues can arise from them, like you are experiencing now. A higher output waterpump would most likely eat up more power and in turn completely defeat the small gains the pulleys provide. Unless of course you enjoy spending money on a new water pump and pulleys to gain a less power.

What ever to stop the over heating! I just figured if the pump is bad I will replace it with something better. Im tired of this problem. I don't have any volt problems. Its always 13 volts or higher. So, I figured there might be a problem with the water pump. But im going to try the stock pulleys and see what I can get. Hopefully it is that easy of a fix. . .

Do you have your fan turning on at the right temperature? I have an electric fan, underdrives and a cheapo $27 water pump and never come close to overheating on 90* days. The gauge (as inaccurate as it is) never goes above the "o".

CaptainZilog said:
Do you have your fan turning on at the right temperature? I have an electric fan, underdrives and a cheapo $27 water pump and never come close to overheating on 90* days. The gauge (as inaccurate as it is) never goes above the "o".

I got a electric fan that is always on. A 180 t-stat and underdrive pulley's. See, your comment is what I think my car should be running at. Thats why it leads me to believe the water pump is going out.

I, too, have a water pump from Pep Boys, Auto Zone 3 row radiator, underdrives and dual electric fans, and the car (according to the Auto Meter gauge) stays at 185. This stuff is all 2.5 years old now.

Don't get rid of the underdrives. They gave me 2 tenths and 3MPH in the quarter. It's obvious something else is wrong. Removing the underdrives is a band aid fix.

How old is the radiator?

I wasn't going to get rid of my underdrive pulleys. I was going to take them off. To see if that would fix the problem for now. I know it shouldn't be over heating from just pulleys. I can only think it is the pump. I flushed the radiator when I installed the cobra manifold with a 180 stat. The problem started with the pulley/headers install.

I do not have dual fans. Where did you get yours? Part number? Your 3 row radiator, is the stock one two row or what? My radiator is orginal. 2 tenths. Damn, they (pulleys) are alot better then I thought they were.

Are you routing the belt right, Sif? You can put it on backwards if you aren't paying attention.

They're dual Flex-A-Lite fans. I got them off someone on FvC about 2.5 years ago. The picture of them on is from back then. The wiring's been changed and there's brackets holding it onto the radiator. And that's before I removed the AC compressor, too. lol

And yeah, I think the stock radiator is a 2 row.

dualfans-1.jpg

dualfansonsm.jpg

Last edited:
CaptainZilog said:
Are you 100% sure? Go out to the car, look at the belt routing diagram, then look at the belt.

Yeah, im 100% sure.

NYC LSC - Those fans looks good. I should have went with a double. Do you know the make (Vehical) your fans were made for?

Members online

No members online now.
Back