Let's See Those Wheels!

Gemelli

LVC Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 91 black LSC SE. It doesn't have the stock laces, so I'm swapping wheels asap. I'm just not sure if I want to go with 17s or 18s, so I'd like to see what you have. Right now I'm leaning towards staggered 18" gloss black/polished lip Bullitts, but I definitely like the look of the 275/315 17" combo I've had on my Mustangs too.

Here it is, along with my 93 Typhoon.

IMAG0146_zps0e2b20a4.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
650 views in 3 days... not exactly dead.
Nice car btw... I want one. oh wait.. I have one. Also have stock wheels and think they look the best.

I guess "dead" was the wrong word. :) I love the factory wheels, but unfortunately, I didn't get them with my car. I ended up going with a set of OE 2001 Bullitt wheels. I know, I know, super original. I coated the centers satin black and they look great!

IMAG0198_zpsuzlcnljc.jpg

IMAG0199_zpsmm5genfn.jpg

very nice. i see its a repainted SE. guaging by its stance, is it a coil spring converted Mark?

don't wanna hijack a cool wheel thread, but I gotta put my 2 cents in..
I heard the coil ride blows compared to air lift.

And yeah I've had every sort of problem with the air, and in the end it came down to leaking air springs. Rubber corrodes over time with ozone and UV.

The symptoms of a leak are wide-ranging and variable, and it is VERY difficult to find the leaks (because for one thing, they only leak sometimes.... not all the time.)
So, in frustration, the other components get blamed and the system is bad-mouthed a whole lot..

Not saying the root of a problem is always a leaking spring, but it should be the first and only suspect until proven otherwise.

It's not a fault with the stock set up, it's just my preference. I'm coming from Fox (mostly) Mustangs, so I'm just used to the coils. Other than that, there are two reasons I want to convert... One, I can't (or don't know how) get the Mark low enough with the air. Two, I don't particularly like the cushy ride. It's a too pillowy for me. :)

ahh ... ok. I see what you're doing. Personally I try to keep the car stock but to each his own.
As for a pillowy ride, that word never occurred to me when driving this car. It's pretty stiff imo.

Here's a thought. There's a recent thread with no replies..
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/fo...8-swap-viii-air-ride-computer-into-92-vii-lsc
...about swapping air-ride computers, and it reminded me of something.

I don't know a lot about it, but some newer "software" in the newer suspension controllers instructs the air-springs to lower the car at high speed. I guess it's to reduce air resistance and improve fuel mileage.

I don't how low it is supposed to get, but I've had some practice hacking stuff (hardware mostly) and if something naturally does something it can often be very easy to make it go just a little bit farther than was intended, or to do it at a time when it was not originally intended.....

From what I know about the mechanics of the air suspension, I can't see any reason a hacked module couldn't "tell" the car to hug the ground on command. I mean... the car already has all the necessary components, and from what you say they are working OK.
I've accidentally "told" it to do just that while working on the air suspension, and it can get down to just a couple inches off the ground...

I don't know what the safety issues are and wouldn't ever recommend doing this, but by simply adjusting (or slightly modifying) the 3 height sensors (2 in front, one in back) I could probably make my car ride several inches lower than it does now. That's a real dirty hack.. I already don't like it on instinct, but am not sure why..

[WARNING] to those who might be reading this: Whenever the suspension components are being worked on, the car can very suddenly drop all - the - way - to the ground. Don't be under it or it will crush you flat. Use Jack-stands and follow all other safety precautions.
...scared the holy crap outta me once... i was just lucky and escaped unharmed..

At least one person already did the height sensor adjustment modification, and the page is from this site. A search may find more info. Since it seems to work and is easy, I'd guess lots of people have done it.
http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/tech/lincoln-mark-viii/Sensor-Lowering/

This person claims ~3 inches is possible, depending on the individual car.

The sensors are just like volume controls... linear potentiometers... and changing the length changes resistance and voltage.

To get trick, how about removing the sensors, replacing them with rotary dials, and extending the wires so the 3 sensors are mounted on the dashboard. To lower the rear for instance, just "tune" that sensor manually.

Members online

No members online now.
Back