Let the troubleshooting begin....

Motodrew

Well-Known LVC Member
Reaction score
I have recently started investigating the notorious starting issue that has been haunting me each morning I turn the key. With this brutal winter I have had some odd issues with the LS. Here is just one...

I have been having problems with the engine starting & I do know it is a fuel issue, but I have just began my troubleshooting process. I've read deeply into the experiences you all have had & I started cheap with the fuel filter this evening.

When I removed the fuel filter, the gasoline that was collected was very dark. :confused: I noticed the FORD Motocraft filter had looked & seemed as the original. Not good when I got 140,000 miles on her.

I'm worried that the poor filter has created more issues I may find in the near future such as leaking injectors. Has anyone noticed how dark the gasoline was once removing the filter!? I'm going to try a fuel cleaning additive in 1/2 tank of fuel in the AM & hope for the best. Perhaps the fresh filter/ & additive will clean up my fuel system...

Wish me luck! I'll try to keep you all informed of my progress....

Chances are, the only thing a clogged filter would really have the potential to cause damage to would be the fuel pump as it's attempting to work harder than usual for proper fuel delivery.

Mmmk. Thanks for the advice. I jumped for joy when I learned of its location under the rear seat. This car always seems to find a way to impress me, even when I want to set it to fire. :)

Well this morning my car started fine in the garage. I went to work & experienced a rough start once I attempted to return home. I'm not sure if its the cold weather that is affecting it or not. Tonight I cleaned the MAF sensor & my air filter. If this continues I may have to move on to something more expensive like the pump or injectors. :(

Behind the wheel liner on the drivers side. take driver front wheel off and remove the wheel well liner and it should be right on the firewall.

Well this morning my car started fine in the garage. I went to work & experienced a rough start once I attempted to return home. I'm not sure if its the cold weather that is affecting it or not. Tonight I cleaned the MAF sensor & my air filter. If this continues I may have to move on to something more expensive like the pump or injectors. :(

I think you car is doing the same thing as mine. I think it is an injector sticking open when you shut the car off. so the fuel is driping into the engine when off. so the next time you go to start it it hesatats to start due to the fact there is a tremendos amount of fuel in the engine. There is a FORD TSB for this problem.

I don't follow.. "a Ford TSB for this problem" ? Any way to pinpoint which injector it may be!?

Technical Service Bulletin; That's basically a notice of sorts. Doesn't mean it's a recall. Just like a "hey we're having issues with this on a bit higher than normal rate" OR "When this happens, look to this to be the fault".

gotcha! Again, is there any way to pinpoint which injector it may be!? I plan on testing the fuel rail first as mentioned above.. Would this determine the faulty injector!?

I dont really know how to test the injector itself, but i would pull the plugs and seen if you have one that looks fouled or really rich. this might be a sign of a rich condition in that cylinder. This is in no way a guarantee but it helps.

i have a couple ideas. You want a thin oil for starting your car in cold weather. Perhaps even a synthetic.

Try using seafoam. On my LS i usually pull a hose and start the car while plugging it, then letting go of the plug and quickly sucking up the can. This takes 2 people, one person has to start the car and keep the revs up to keep the car from stalling
It will put out a lot of smoke but its ok. With your last bit of seafoam try and stall teh car with it. Then replace vacuum hose and let it sit for like 20 mins then start it and take it for a quick drive.

SeaFoam.jpg

003.jpg

Thanks for the help gents. The procedure described above seems somewhat sketchy. I'm nervous trying it. Is this an effective way to clean the injectors!?

Yes seaform works pretty damn good. But while your doing it the car is going to smoke like crazy and you might get a CEL, but dont be alamed its just doing its job. It might take like an hour or two of driving around to clear out the smoke but it will clear.

Is this an effective way to clean the injectors!?
Not the injectors, but it will clean the intake manifold, intake ports, valves, combustion chambers, and the tops of the pistons.

You can also pour Seafoam in the fuel tank to use as a fuel system cleaner, which would clean the injectors.

Other methods of stronger cleaning would be a bottle of GM Upper Engine Cleaner, Ford may have an equivalent but the GM stuff I have personal experience with and it is CRAZY smokin stuff.

For the Fuel system use a can of BG 44K complete fuel system cleaner. This stuff is not normally available at your local parts store, you probably would have to get it from a dealership, and it is not cheap.

Thanks for the help gents. The procedure described above seems somewhat sketchy. I'm nervous trying it. Is this an effective way to clean the injectors!?

It is alittle sketch I agree. Ive done it quite a few times as well. It worked great. Im not sure how I feel about using it with catalytic converters though.

I had the same problem, plus it would shudder slightly. Car would could barley make it down the road.

So i ran a bottle of STP fuel system cleaner and ISO-HEET ANTIFREEZE water remover

I then Topped up with Sunoco 94, and within 15 minutes of driving all was new.

Last edited:
I'm going to go ahead and remove the fuel rails this week & leave the injectors connected to see if any show signs of leakage. I'll try to take some pictures of my progress & inform you of any information I can gather. Wish me luck.

Members online

Back