LED Hi Beams? Anyone try these yet?

91 LSC SE

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
I asked this about a year or so ago when they first came out. Has anyone tired the 9005 LED high beams?

They were $100 or above and now $39 for 2200 lumen per side. Our stock bulb is listed at 1700LM (Sylvania lists). My only concern is the protective cover to keep the lenses clean/dry. If these fit, with the cover on, I think they might burnout from the heat in such a small space with little air movement.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/9005-HB3-90...ash=item2356ac392d:g:RaUAAOSwT6pVzAue&vxp=mtr

Speaking from experience.... these are bright enough, the issue is the light needs to be coming from more directions, with just bright LEDS shining 180° from each other, the light patterns are very spotty.

i have tried them in low and high beam sections of my HID housings and cannot get the pattern useful enough.

IMO they need at least 4 LEDs around the stem, or more, to throw light in all (or more) directions.

i havent looked lately but i did see some brand had 3 sided led stems.

Thanks Guys!

I have seen others with fans and that was previously the deciding "no" factor for me. I would still want them inside the original housing black cover to keep dirt/water out of the headlamp lenses. With that black round cover being so small, would think they would overheat, but most with fans are too big to fit in that housing and if not it is a very small space with little air to circulate. If you left them out they fans would get plugged up with dirt/water.
That is why I liked the ones I found, no fan and I think they are small enough to fit and have that orginal round housing go over the LED light and seal it like the stock 9005 bulb.

I do like that 2 year warranty that jbelcourt product has listed though, the ones I seen w/fans previously didn't have that. Still if they don't disperse the light enough, there won't work as Moes8 has stated.

Thanks Guys!

I have seen others with fans and that was previously the deciding "no" factor for me. I would still want them inside the original housing black cover to keep dirt/water out of the headlamp lenses. With that black round cover being so small, would think they would overheat, but most with fans are too big to fit in that housing and if not it is a very small space with little air to circulate. If you left them out they fans would get plugged up with dirt/water.
That is why I liked the ones I found, no fan and I think they are small enough to fit and have that orginal round housing go over the LED light and seal it like the stock 9005 bulb.

I do like that 2 year warranty that jbelcourt product has listed though, the ones I seen w/fans previously didn't have that. Still if they don't disperse the light enough, there won't work as Moes8 has stated.

These are intriguing since they contain 4 sided stems, someone try them! :)
i think even the 3 sided might work, i just know the 2 sided wont pattern nicely, even though they are as bright as anything else i've had, halogen or HID.http://www.amazon.com/Car-Rover-CREE-Headlight-Conversion/dp/B015XVVSZQ/ref=pd_sbs_263_6?ie=UTF8&dpID=51NxZJHE4jL&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=003PYRCWYX6P79QJB2J7

I have a led kit in my low beams and fogs , my lows are from Vleds and they are amazing , my fogs are from nokya

IMG_20150828_234717.jpg

Thanks GHST!

Moes8, they are 4,000Lms per bulb! That is more than double the stock bulb. I would like to try them, but they have a fan and won't fit within our hi beam housing. I do not want to risk dirt or water getting in the lenses, so I'm going to wait till I find a "fanless" or small enough that the black cover can go over the bulb and seal the lens stock.

Those are cheap off brand ones , vleds are top of the food chain leds , 4500 lumens each ( 9000 total ) , amazing build quality and light output , have had mine for a year already and the fan does stick out but it hasnt failed on me and its subzero outside here in Chicago

Screenshot_2016-01-11-23-31-32.jpg

Thanks GHST!

Moes8, they are 4,000Lms per bulb! That is more than double the stock bulb. I would like to try them, but they have a fan and won't fit within our hi beam housing. I do not want to risk dirt or water getting in the lenses, so I'm going to wait till I find a "fanless" or small enough that the black cover can go over the bulb and seal the lens stock.

The fan is OUTSIDE the housing. It locks in the housing just before the fan and the fan is housed outside. The fans are water proof (at least the one I posted is, they have a video of them on and completely submerged in water). How would it risk getting anything inside the housing?

I thought the bulb locks in the housing and then the black round cover protects the lenses, no? Just as the clear square cover protects the HID bulbs and lenses? If not, what is that round black cap that goes into the back of the lens over the bulb?

Members online

No members online now.
Back