Leaky Thermostat Housing

Jim Henderson

Dedicated LVC Member
Reaction score
Found an interesting unusual leak for the LS V8. Long story so skip to bottom for short version.

For a few months I have been losing maybe a quart of water every week or so and figured I would need to replace the degas bottle sooner or later. Last week I parked the car on a hill, face downhill and saw maybe a cup of water dribble out under the radiator area. Uh oh bad radiator I thought. I had seen this dribble a few times before but assumed it was AC runoff.

Yesterday I lost enough water to overheat during an all day drive in 100+ heat, stop and go and idling type driving. PITA, figured I waited too long.

Couldn't really see the leak without tearing into the engine bay. But I did see water spots on the front area of the engine on the air intake sound baffle and on the Engine shroud or top cover. Hmmm, radtiator or leaky hoses, I think. But still could not find the leak even with the engine very hot and hissing sounds from somewhere. Even removed the engine shroud, very easy, 2 plastic button/screws.

Today, I was messing with it while a friend was watching. Still no visible leak even though I lost a quart on my drive in to work. Arrr.

At lunch I removed the "Radiator Cap" on the thermostat housing, top front of engine. Poured in maybe a cup of water but noticed some small puddles of water on top of the throttle body. Hmmm, must be close. Started luke warm engine and finally noticed tiny water droplets spraying off of the top pulley, guessing waterpump but the LS doesn't always have stuff where you think. So capped the tstat and was talking with a guy but noticed no more water spray. Hmmm, removed the cap and again water spray, hmmm. Then noticed water dribbling out from the underside of the lip of the filler neck where the cap screws in, NOT from the fill opening itself.

It is the seam of the filler neck that is leaking. I need to remove the tstat housing to inspect by I bet money it is a crack in the neck where you can't see it from above. I am guessing why I never could catch it in the act is that the system did not leak until it was fully pressurized while at freeway speed and full of water. Then the pressure forced the "radiator cap" Spring loaded "plunger" to lift enough in the neck of the tstat housing to expose the crack to water under pressure and you know the rest. When The water was down or the engine slightly cooled and under less pressure the plunger resealed the neck crack so no evidence of where the leak was other than some water drops here and there.

The water was puddling on the plastic splash shield under the front of the engine and radiator but did not spill out all at once unless you parked on a hill or had enough puddle. The water dripping mislead me as to where the leak was.

So Long Story SHORT... If you have a strange leak but can't find it when the engine is running or stopped and it is from the front of the engine(water spots)... It might be a cracked Thermostat housing filler neck.

I never did feel right about plastic components on an engine. This just reinforces my thoughts on it.

I am ordering the housing from Rock Auto and should have it replaced shortly after.

The LS seems to give me problems I have never seen in over 1 million miles of driving and almost 40 years of tinkering. What a PITA.

Jim Henderson

See my post... "it's the radiator cap" for further and future info from me. I was partly wrong on this thread but learning more about this leak area.

Jim Henderson

See my other post for details.

This particular leak is in the Coolant Outlet Pipe, which is a lot more complicated piece than just a pipe.

Jim Henderson

Found an interesting unusual leak for the LS V8. Long story so skip to bottom for short version.

For a few months I have been losing maybe a quart of water every week or so and figured I would need to replace the degas bottle sooner or later. Last week I parked the car on a hill, face downhill and saw maybe a cup of water dribble out under the radiator area. Uh oh bad radiator I thought. I had seen this dribble a few times before but assumed it was AC runoff.

Yesterday I lost enough water to overheat during an all day drive in 100+ heat, stop and go and idling type driving. PITA, figured I waited too long.

Couldn't really see the leak without tearing into the engine bay. But I did see water spots on the front area of the engine on the air intake sound baffle and on the Engine shroud or top cover. Hmmm, radtiator or leaky hoses, I think. But still could not find the leak even with the engine very hot and hissing sounds from somewhere. Even removed the engine shroud, very easy, 2 plastic button/screws.

Today, I was messing with it while a friend was watching. Still no visible leak even though I lost a quart on my drive in to work. Arrr.

At lunch I removed the "Radiator Cap" on the thermostat housing, top front of engine. Poured in maybe a cup of water but noticed some small puddles of water on top of the throttle body. Hmmm, must be close. Started luke warm engine and finally noticed tiny water droplets spraying off of the top pulley, guessing waterpump but the LS doesn't always have stuff where you think. So capped the tstat and was talking with a guy but noticed no more water spray. Hmmm, removed the cap and again water spray, hmmm. Then noticed water dribbling out from the underside of the lip of the filler neck where the cap screws in, NOT from the fill opening itself.

It is the seam of the filler neck that is leaking. I need to remove the tstat housing to inspect by I bet money it is a crack in the neck where you can't see it from above. I am guessing why I never could catch it in the act is that the system did not leak until it was fully pressurized while at freeway speed and full of water. Then the pressure forced the "radiator cap" Spring loaded "plunger" to lift enough in the neck of the tstat housing to expose the crack to water under pressure and you know the rest. When The water was down or the engine slightly cooled and under less pressure the plunger resealed the neck crack so no evidence of where the leak was other than some water drops here and there.

The water was puddling on the plastic splash shield under the front of the engine and radiator but did not spill out all at once unless you parked on a hill or had enough puddle. The water dripping mislead me as to where the leak was.

So Long Story SHORT... If you have a strange leak but can't find it when the engine is running or stopped and it is from the front of the engine(water spots)... It might be a cracked Thermostat housing filler neck.

I never did feel right about plastic components on an engine. This just reinforces my thoughts on it.

I am ordering the housing from Rock Auto and should have it replaced shortly after.

The LS seems to give me problems I have never seen in over 1 million miles of driving and almost 40 years of tinkering. What a PITA.

Jim Henderson

if its crack on the threads where the engine fill cap goes on the tstat housing, it is from over tightening the cap, i had this problem where the threads where the cap goes cracked, and if you pull the neck at the threads, and it lifts up, its defently cracked there, its not a hard thing to replace, the 2 back bolts on the tstat housing are a little tricky

Rock Auto part number?

Jim Henderson

Jim, is this the Rock Auto thermostast housing that you ordered, and is it anything but plastic, like aluminum, cast iron, etc?
FOUR SEASONS Part # 85186
United States; To 11/02

Jim, is this the Rock Auto thermostast housing that you ordered, and is it anything but plastic, like aluminum, cast iron, etc?
FOUR SEASONS Part # 85186
United States; To 11/02

I know I'm not who you addressed the question to, but...

That looks like the gen I (2000-2002) part. That whole area of the cooling system is much different on the gen II (2003-2006) that this thread is talking about. I haven't seen any metal parts for the gen II for the outlet pipe or the thermostat housing.

Joe is right, the older LS have a different Tstat housing. Main visible difference is the older is straight, the newer is 90 degree angle.

ALSO, The thermostat itself may not be a twist lock on the older. I do NOT know. So my ststement in another thread about the Tstat not sitting on a flat surface may be incorrect.

The Tstat housing is easy to remove in either model I think so best way is to remove it and take a look to see if there are broken plastic ears for the Tstat to twist onto like the newer housings.

I have had several cars that would have random temperature spikes when the tstat was "broken" so it is worth taking a look to see if the ears are broken or the tstat itself is defective, they do wear out and break.

Good Luck,

Jim Henderson

T-Stat Housing -- 2003 V8

Any idea where to buy one besides the dealer? Every place I go seems to only have the single outlet straight piece. I need the double outlet/inlet with 90 degree angle. Clip is broke that holds the T-Stat. I tried glueing and of course that didn't work.:(

Dealer. No aftermarket for Gen 2 housing yet.
I don't think the Jags used the Gen 2 style cooling components (anyone got otherwise?) so there's less support out there. The aftermarket Gen 1 components are marketed for Jags, but just so happen to swap.

Members online

Back