Leaking Water Pump Seal? 01 V6

nastynaters

Active LVC Member
Reaction score
(2001 V6 Manual)
Recently replaced my degas bottle and everything's been fine, coolant-wise. Recently however since the temperatures have dropped quickly, i've developed a coolant leak that I cannot exactly pinpoint. Coolant seems to be leaking from somewhere very close and maybe slightly above the idler pulley, and down in between it and the engine, and finally the oil pan. It will form a drip at the bottom of the oil pan every 3-5 minutes. It's made a huge mess of things down there.

I cannot from any angle see where its originating from, probably because how dirty and greasy everything has gotten in areas i cant get into to clean. After searching around, I've found someone with the exact symptoms, except with the 3.9: http://www.lincolnvscadillac.com/forum/showthread.php?76013-Strange-Coolant-Leak

I spent well over 2 hours trying to figure this one out with no luck. Just cant believe its this hard to see where its coming from when i can clearly see a slow steady drip off the oil pan. Thanks for any help, much appreciated.

-Nate

It could be the water pump, but you really need to replace all the plastic cooling system parts. Frequently, they all start failing at the same time.

Yea i understand that. I remember hearing in the past that the gen 1 v6 doesnt have nearly as many plastic parts. You mean all the rubber hoses and coolant lines also? I havent been able to find a clear list of plastic parts for the v6, though i have a diagram of all the hoses. And there are a ton

if coolant runs through it and it is made (or has just a section made of) plastic, it should be replaced.

Members online

No members online now.
Back